Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joebeeson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
hey people..

wondering if anyone else has come across anything like this on there iphone..

it is the 2g iphone..

basically a strip, 2pixels deep, all the way across the iphone. it varys from day to day! which is really strange.. it has a mind of its own this weird strip..

any help???

cheers

joebeeson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
nope.. completely random, just woke up and it was there!!

it really is a mystery

joebeeson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
already tried.. restored, reset.. the works!!

i think it is a hardware problem.. it is really strange!!

ANDYMILLMAN

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
happened with mine, i dropped mine, then the lines started appaearing , at the top of my phone tho, not the bottom..

i have a 3g phone now so its not a real problem, altho i did check my 1st gen phone the other day and the lines were still there

Quincy9219

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Now that's interesting. Are you sure you aren't confusing a gray bar of broken pixels with the border between the screen and the glass face? If you hold the phone at a bit of an angle, I can sort of see on my phone what you see on yours. PS. The picture isn't high enough quality to make a solid determination either way

joebeeson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
im 100% certain its a fualt with the screen and nothing to do with the glass or the way im holding it/light shining.. nice theory tho!

joebeeson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
p.s the picture is high enough quality to see a grey line across the screen. you wouldnt be able to determine any more/less due to picture quality.

Packersfan27

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Ive heard this happening a bunch with people dropping their iphones. Maybe you had a familiy member/friends drop it while you were sleeping or somthing?

But just take it to an apple store they should replace it.

robbiehn

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
Has the problem been solved? Mine have the same problem, start with few red dot the next day it spread into line, now there is 3 lines in grey.

I do not think this is a dead pixel (dead pixel usually black), I tried everything (restore, reset, go into un-stuck pixel site...) Nothing help

Please help me to find the solution. There is not any App store available.

viniciusferrao

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
Has the problem been solved? Mine have the same problem, start with few red dot the next day it spread into line, now there is 3 lines in grey.

I do not think this is a dead pixel (dead pixel usually black), I tried everything (restore, reset, go into un-stuck pixel site...) Nothing help

Please help me to find the solution. There is not any App store available.

I'm having the same problem too. I'm at Brazil and cannot send my phone to Apple.

I've a insanely HUGE 3 line of this pixels. Left to right :(

Don't know how to fix this. But I have done some tests. The pixels are OK. The backlight? I don't know. Don't know if this is a led backlight or not but something is failing.

Do some tests: get your iPhone under the sun and see the screen. There will be a lot of light coming to iPhone and you'll see the pixels working. Something is "graying-out" this pixels.

[]'s

iquanyin

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
eugene
me too

i have the same thing, along the top. on the third morning (today) phone wouldn't boot up (stuck on pineapple). i had to restore it, and this time it took two hours.

for a couple of months now, i've noticed that i sometimes have to hold home plus power in the morning to turn it on. once or twice a week, maybe. it's unnerving. i can live with the lines, but now i'm wondering just what's up with the phone. i've had it a year, restored it a lot, mess with the files and experiment a lot, and so on.

it's on maybe 15 hours daily, nearly every day since i bought it, so it gets a lot of use.

iquanyin

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
eugene
i have the same thing, along the top. on the third morning (today) phone wouldn't boot up (stuck on pineapple). i had to restore it, and this time it took two hours.

for a couple of months now, i've noticed that i sometimes have to hold home plus power in the morning to turn it on. once or twice a week, maybe. it's unnerving. i can live with the lines, but now i'm wondering just what's up with the phone. i've had it a year, restored it a lot, mess with the files and experiment a lot, and so on.

it's on maybe 15 hours daily, nearly every day since i bought it, so it gets a lot of use.

robdewell

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
Grey Line Bug

I've got this same bug on my 1st generation iPhone. Will the Apple Store replace it or do I have to live with it...

robdewell

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
hhhmmm... still some original iPhones under warranty you say... i just assumed it would be a year...

how can i find out - other then trekking down to my local apple store?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
hhhmmm... still some original iPhones under warranty you say... i just assumed it would be a year...

how can i find out - other then trekking down to my local apple store?

They bought Applecare. My original is still under warranty until December.

Go to apple.com/support and there's a warranty checker somewhere on the page.

maputodave

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
same problem

I've searched these forums carefully for this problem, which has happened to several people. This is the thread that has the most recent activity, so I'm bumping it.

For those phones that are out of warranty, where an exchange is not an option, I don't see any solutions. Am I just stuck with these 3-4 lines of gray pixels along the top of my screen, which change shape and location daily? I've tried the flashing pixel fixes to no avail.

Has anyone successfully fixed this problem? Would love to hear from you.

Thanks.

leopoldleoleo

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
i hate stuck pixels

ive had a simmilar problem before, with some gray pixels forming a series of lines near the senter of my ipod touch, but i fixed it using one of those sites (which flash colors at full brightness). But now its happened again and the same method doesnt seem to be working (though the lines of gray pixels are allong the left side of the screen, horizontal), but ive learnt to live with them for about 1 month. Now however, a bright green pixel has appeared in the exact middle of my screen.

im trying to fix it with no avail

my 1 1/2 yeear old first gen ipod touch wasnt even under waranty as i bought it from a friend who recieved it free with his macbook.

I dont want to buy a new one, but now my user experience is deterioirating

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.