Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccerfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
I've never really wanted an iPod but everyone seems so incredibly psyched up about this Cram & Jam deal that I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

It's basically just an MP3 player, right?!

What am I missing? What makes it so incredibly cool?

Also, I'm getting a PB and may very well choose to resell the iPod for some extra cash. If you want mine (the one I'll get), make an offer! I'd rather sell it direct than go through ebay.

Maxicek

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
If you listen to music when you are travelling or away from home, keep it.

I spent an hour deliberating between CD Walkman that played MP3 Discs at about £100 and a 15Gb iPod at £250. I chose the iPod and, every time I pick it up, I am happy that I did. It is liberating to be able to pick up one unit and to know that I have 2600 songs on it, music for whatever takes my mood. Having to choose about ten CDs before a trip was a pain, plus they take up far too much space in my hand luggage if I am flying.

soccerfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
debo said:
$200 paypal.

I plan to buy pretty soon, and it's very likely I'll end up selling it. I'm still thinking it through...

Send me a private message with your email so we can touch bases.

If anyone else is interested, let me know.

jbrjake

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
soccerfan said:
I've never really wanted an iPod but everyone seems so incredibly psyched up about this Cram & Jam deal that I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

It's basically just an MP3 player, right?!

What am I missing? What makes it so incredibly cool?

I was like you, when the iPod first came out. I looked at the hype and I sneered. It was just an mp3 player. Sure, it had a harddrive, but so did the Creative Nomad Jukebox, so it's not like they were first on the market or anything. Back then, iPods weren't even particularly tiny. I just couldn't see the allure, especially at $400. I was someone who thought Apple had made a mistake. They'd priced it so much higher than the competition. What the hell was Apple thinking? MP3 players are commodity devices, not lifestyle products.

...then one of my friends at college got one for the spring semester. You cannot understand the allure of an iPod until you've had one full of music sitting in your hand. Everything is designed PERFECTLY. It's like a Platonic ideal of what a music player should be, if we lived in a utopia where dreams could be made material without losing any perfection. Sometimes, it doesn't feel like your iPod was designed for your hand, but that your hand was designed for your iPod. Something about it is just RIGHT. Last May, I drove across Florida with my iPod. It's not like it was the first time I'd used it for an extended period or anything...I mean, I've had it for years. But I started appreciating it on that trip. Not more than I had before, just differently. It's like that every instance you use an iPod. Each time, you fall in love with it all over again.

soccerfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
jbrjake said:
Each time, you fall in love with it all over again.

If you're not currently working in the Apple marketing department, you ought to consider a career change ;)

belair

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
I got my 20 Gig ipod 2 months ago and I really wasn't sure if I should spend that amount of money on music player.

Now I know.

The ipod is great. I don't commute a lot but i use it for long drives in my car and its just really cool to have that amount of musical freedom.

Last week I went on holiday and it was great to have it around. Listen to just the beat you want while you take a nap in the afternoon sun… PRICELESS!

Applespider

macrumors G4
Do you have an MP3 player now? Or are you limited to CD/MDs that you carry around with you?

If not, then the feeling of freedom and convenience of being able to listen to pretty much whatever you like whenever you want is amazing. And the UI makes it so pleasant to use that you find yourself becoming reacquainted with your music collection.

The iPod - gives your life a soundtrack

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Applespider said:
The iPod - gives your life a soundtrack

Is that a current Apple slogan? If not, IT SHOULD BE!

I am in the same boat. I think the iPods are great and all, I just couldn't ever justify the $ for just a music player. I have *no* idea how much I'll use it... and I'm suspecting not as much as most... Anyhow, now with the current promotion, I can get an iPod for a fraction of the cost. That will be enough to make me try it.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
You should get it, try it for a week or 2, then make your decision on whether to sell it or keep it.

I got $20 that says he'll keep it. Place your bets!!!!

Even if you do end up hating it, and selling it, for the love of boobies, sell it for the max dollar amount and make the buyer pay for shipping.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
LOL, thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

BTW, the iPod is not only a music player but can also be used as a ext. HD. You can backup any type of file onto it just as you would w/ a CD, Compact Flash, Zip, whatever.

neon

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004
UK
why would you buy something purely to sell it for less than it's cost to you, to raise money for a powerbook? or have i misunderstood? :confused:

anyway, i love my 20gb and i honestly don't know how i coped so long without one (i held off for a while waiting for a uk release date for the mini). i shudder to think of life without it now. and i'm ordering a green mini when i get paid :)

everyone i've shown it to, even those with little interest in portable music players, has fallen in love with it to, despite the price tag - i think it's only when you're actually holding one that you can see how worth it they really are :)

soccerfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2002
neon said:
why would you buy something purely to sell it for less than it's cost to you, to raise money for a powerbook? or have i misunderstood?

I'm a student, so I can get the iPod for about $70. If I resell it for $200 or so, I can recoup around $150.

I'm still thinking about it....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.