Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skyjamco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
How is the Pro performance on this machine. I am looking to buy one i want it to last 2 years just for photoshop cs2 and facebook i have an emac right now and photoshop is not to bad but the performance on flash games it terrible to say the least probably due to the 32mb vram. So will it get me to graduation at which time i can buy a mac pro or core i9 iMac. Thanks:)

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Well, if you want to know my experiences with it, I think that it is a superb machine. Its held up for PS CS3 and my other uses (Final Cut). Web browsing is no problem. Comparing it to one of the earlier-G5 duals, its a cut above and beyond. Just be sure to fill it with as much RAM as you can afford and a TB HD... can't comment on graphics upgrades (got my machine with the 7800GT, never used the 6xxx series card that was baseline).

However, part of me does have to say that future OSX applications will be Intel-only. Doesn't mean you can make it a server with a RAID array after you are done with it. :D Many people will say that a Mini is better (which its starting to look that way), but I think that the Quad should be a respectable machine for your needs in the timeframe you have to use it, and its not completely useless when you're done with it.

Just remember, despite reports of the replacements from the LCS failures in it, doesn't mean you'll get a new machine. Some people get replacements, some people don't. Be aware that if/when your LCS fails, assume you will be SOL.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Well flash games is more on the CPU and besides the coding for OSX is terrible. That's why Apple doesn't support it on their iPhones and now iPad. People even claim to have problems with their new Mac Pros while using flash.

The quad-G5 is still a very capable machine but newer software is not PPC compatible but that doesn't stop you from using current software which does the same job.

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
I love my G5 and while its not the top of the stack G5 (i.e. the quad) this will probably be the last PPC I'll own. Unless of course I get a ridiculous deal on a quad :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.