Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cusco

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
i have TMo that i'm trying to use in the 3Gs. the phone has the 3.1.2 FW with the baseband locked. i borrowed my coworker's att sim and used it to activate the iphone and run the blackra1n.

before running the blackra1n, i turned off the itune and clicked on make it rain. everything is good till the final step where u see geohot's photo with a row of iphone, then it's stuck. after waiting 3 mins, itune opens up and pops up a message saying the iphone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored before using. after 15 mins, still stuck at the geohot image. put the phone into DFU and insert Tmo sim and booted up.

here's the weird part... i end up seeing the emergency call only, but guess what, on the upper left hand corner, i see Tmo and the reception is good! but i can't get into the home page.

see photo here

what gives? please help~

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
I would try this:

Use iTunes to restore the phone to 3.1.2 again. Leave the T-Mobile SIM in it.

Make sure you have the latest version of BlackRa1n, which is RC3, it's been available since 5pm UK time yesterday

Run BlackRa1n again, on the PC and then on the phone, with the T-Mobile SIM in, so it can hacktivate the phone. Choose the sn0w option.

cusco

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
I would try this:

Use iTunes to restore the phone to 3.1.2 again. Leave the T-Mobile SIM in it.

Make sure you have the latest version of BlackRa1n, which is RC3, it's been available since 5pm UK time yesterday

Run BlackRa1n again, on the PC and then on the phone, with the T-Mobile SIM in, so it can hacktivate the phone. Choose the sn0w option.

i thought the version i download from blackra1n site is already the RC3 version, right? i did the restore to 3.1.2 and after it reboots, it still detects tmobile sim on the upper left hand corner like the photo. then i run the blackra1n again and still stuck at the geohot photo. :(

perhaps i download the wrong version of blackra1n?

EDIT: redownload the blackra1n from the blackra1n official website linked from geohot's blog. ran it.. it said it's complete after reboot, itune pops open, and iphone still at geohot's image and no sign of reboot... :( help!

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Try these steps:

1. Put AT&T sim in phone

2. Restore to 3.1.2

3. When its done restoring, unplug and replug your phone back into your comp. iTunes should activate it.

4. Run blackrain/blacksn0w

5. Put TMo sim in.

cusco

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Try these steps:

1. Put AT&T sim in phone

2. Restore to 3.1.2

3. When its done restoring, unplug and replug your phone back into your comp. iTunes should activate it.

4. Run blackrain/blacksn0w

5. Put TMo sim in.

let me give that a try. i'ts currently restoring with att sim as you suggested...

cusco

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
forgot to mention to disable 3G once your tmobile sim is in.

ok.. finally completed the restore back to 3.1.2 via itune with ATT SIM. then setup the phone as new phone and the phone is activated and it did a complete sync.

now, the question is.. do i close out itune program before running blackra1n? or do i leave itune open?

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
ok.. finally completed the restore back to 3.1.2 via itune with ATT SIM. then setup the phone as new phone and the phone is activated and it did a complete sync.

now, the question is.. do i close out itune program before running blackra1n? or do i leave itune open?

doesn't matter, just close it. itunes is annoying

cusco

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
doesn't matter, just close it. itunes is annoying

ok, just ran the blackra1n and still stuck at geohot image and the itune pops up but doesn't detect the iphone. :(

what to do? i heard that this new RC3 does the tethering method and if the bootrom is a different version, it might not work? is that right?

is there anyway to check which bootrom i have in here?

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
ok, just ran the blackra1n and still stuck at geohot image and the itune pops up but doesn't detect the iphone. :(

what to do? i heard that this new RC3 does the tethering method and if the bootrom is a different version, it might not work? is that right?

is there anyway to check which bootrom i have in here?

hmm. connect your phone in dfu mode and go to apple->about this mac->more info->usb->iphone. It has to say (dfu mode)

the old iboot is 359.3 and the new is 359.3.2

thats weird taht its not working... :/

cusco

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
hmm. connect your phone in dfu mode and go to apple->about this mac->more info->usb->iphone. It has to say (dfu mode)

the old iboot is 359.3 and the new is 359.3.2

thats weird taht its not working... :/

sorry, i'm running windows.. :(

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Shouldn't matter which bootrom the OP has, blackra1n rev3 is supposed to work on both. Sorry I don't have any constructive insights into the original problem, but I wouldn't waste time trying to figure out the bootrom version, the cause of the problem has to be something else.

cusco

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Shouldn't matter which bootrom the OP has, blackra1n rev3 is supposed to work on both. Sorry I don't have any constructive insights into the original problem, but I wouldn't waste time trying to figure out the bootrom version, the cause of the problem has to be something else.

man.. it's still stuck at geohot's image. i even CTL+ALT+DEL and go in and kill all the apple related process running in the background after a reboot of my comp. then ran the blackra1n and still stuck at geohot.

guess i should bring the blackra1n to a local apple store to run eh? maybe the mac version of blackra1n is more superior than the window version? haha.. sorry guys.. desperate thinking....

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
before running the blackra1n, i turned off the itune and clicked on make it rain. everything is good till the final step where u see geohot's photo with a row of iphone, then it's stuck. after waiting 3 mins, itune opens up and pops up a message saying the iphone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored before using.

~RERUN BLACKRA1 HERE~

after 15 mins, still stuck at the geohot image. put the phone into DFU and insert Tmo sim and booted up.

I was rereading the original post, and it occurs to me that assuming you do have one of the newer phones with the new bootrom, what you need to do is when iTunes tells you the phone is in recovery mode after running blackra1n, dismiss that warning, and run blackra1n again. (see my inserted comment)

cusco

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
I was rereading the original post, and it occurs to me that assuming you do have one of the newer phones with the new bootrom, what you need to do is when iTunes tells you the phone is in recovery mode after running blackra1n, dismiss that warning, and run blackra1n again. (see my inserted comment)

see that's what i thought too.. so after the first blackra1n, i click OK and close out after itune pops up saying it's in DFU mode. then i close out itune and run again. during that time the geohot image is still there, and on the second run of blackra1n.. it just kept staying at waiting for device.

but there's one time at band camp.. haha.. had to throw that in, sorry. trying to woo~SAaaa myself from stress. there's one time that went forward to recovery and then stuck there for 15mins plus and wouldn't move any forward.

all of this is done with the ATT SIM inside, another with Tmo sim, and another time without any sim.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
see that's what i thought too.. so after the first blackra1n, i click OK and close out after itune pops up saying it's in DFU mode. then i close out itune and run again. during that time the geohot image is still there, and on the second run of blackra1n.. it just kept staying at waiting for device.

Did you try unplugging and plugging back in when it said "waiting for device"?

cusco

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Did you try unplugging and plugging back in when it said "waiting for device"?

i've tried that too.. and still no go. it just stuck at waiting for device. back to restore and start from scratch.

Additional info: that reminds me, on my wife's iphone 3Gs, it was baseband locked after my friend ran the pwnage tool and got upgraded to 3.1.2. then yesterday, i ran blackra1n in windows, and wify's 3Gs unlock perfectly. question is.. should i use pwnage first then do blackra1n?

seanhay

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
iphone 3gs geohot bootscreen problem

anyone found a solution yet ???? this is driving me crazy

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
i've tried that too.. and still no go. it just stuck at waiting for device. back to restore and start from scratch.

Additional info: that reminds me, on my wife's iphone 3Gs, it was baseband locked after my friend ran the pwnage tool and got upgraded to 3.1.2. then yesterday, i ran blackra1n in windows, and wify's 3Gs unlock perfectly. question is.. should i use pwnage first then do blackra1n?

No wonder you can't unlock

You can run Blackra1n on a phone everyday until you die, it will NEVER unlock it BECAUSE BLACKRA1N IS A JAILBREAK TOOL, NOT AN UNLOCK TOOL :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.