Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaZaK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hello Fellow MacLovers,

I'm sure that I'll get flamed\ridiculed\etc. for this happening to me, but I guess this is what I get for trusting Apple so blindly. However, I hope my story can helps someone avoid the same situation that I encountered...

On 2/7/2010, I decided to upgrade my iTunes Library to iTunes Plus for a little over $80. In addition, I purchased a couple albums, and the total came up to $99.

For some reason, the iTunes Plus content didn't start downloading automatically. I figured Apple was taking it's time processing that many items for my download (150+).

When I logged into my e-mail Inbox this morning, I saw 29 PayPal Payment Receipts and 28 PayPal Refund Receipts courtesy of iTunes. It wasn't until I cancelled my iTunes Billing Agreement in Paypal that Apple generated an e-mail to acknowledge an error with processing my iTunes Plus purchase and that the hourly billings stopped!

Unfortunately, my PayPal Funding Source is my Bank Account. So, it will take 3-5 business days for almost $3000 to be refunded to PayPal and then another 3-5 business days for the money to go from PayPal to my bank.

I have lost all confidence in iTunes payment processing capabilities, and I'm disappointed that I cannot get a direct dial line to iTunes to discuss this problem.

My suggestion to all you other Apple Fans is do not use your bank account as the funding source for PayPal. If I used my credit card, i would have gotten the money back in 3-5 business days directly instead of waiting for twice as long.

You may want to avoid using PayPal at all since your Credit Card company is more likely to fight for you than those geniuses at PayPal.

I still believe in Apple's products. The OS X is more rock solid than Windows 7 could ever be on its best day. I'm just thoroughly disillusioned, and it will take some time before I trust the iTunes Store to make a purchase there. In the meantime, I'll buy my music elsewhere.

Signed,
RaZaK aka One Disappointed MacLover.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Alas, I've also learned the hard way to be very careful with Apple. When I bought my $749 iPod, I was charged almost $1600 for it. Apple did give me a refund in the end (along with a $100 gift voucher), but it's pushed me to buying hardware from resellers now (since the Apple Store won't accept direct credit online).

As for iTunes, your options are a bit more limited; you can use gift cards but any other option really gives Apple direct access to your bank account which, as we've both seen, can be problematic.

I'm sure that both of our cases are very rare and certainly not the norm, but it's never a good experience to be out of that much money, even temporarily.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It seems to be a freak accident.

FYI, use credit card for purchases. You'll have additional protection.

RaZaK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I'm sure that both of our cases are very rare and certainly not the norm, but it's never a good experience to be out of that much money, even temporarily.

Thanx Nermal,

I'll definitely be more careful in the future. After being on the phone with them for almost an hour, I have to wait 48 hours for the iTunes staff to "research" my problem.

Honestly, I believe that for some reason, PayPal wasn't sending iTunes the ACK that it required to authorize my download, and iTunes kept requesting the same amount over and over and over and over... It's amazing that the moment I canceled my iTunes billing agreement in iTunes, all of a sudden, I get a Payment Processing Error e-mail from iTunes.

Very Strange...

By the way, Nermal, how did you ever make it out of Abu Dhabi alive?!? :D

Later,
RaZaK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.