Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
WoW has RPPVE and RPPVP servers that are supposed to be "pristine lore" too. But most of the RP tends to be reserved in guilds and such. It doesn't work that well because unless there is some type of "enforcement", people aren't all that fanatical about lore anyway. And for many who are, eventually it gets old to be like that constantly. Not to mention that many people won't know what the heck you are trying to really say if you're speaking Old English all the time. LOL I remeber some interesting interaction in RP servers, but overall, it's more "normal" than "pristine lore".

With the exception of Moon Guard. Now that's a hardcore RP server.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
GW2, that's the big one. Expect it in 2011. 4 mill subs in their first game which was f2p, this will go a more trad route attracting p2p players but without the sub model. It's going to be something else, truly.

What the heck does 4 mil subs mean in a f2p game? Honestly, I've never heard anyone I know played that game. Either that or it just never comes up in conversation. But WoW somehow creaps into convo once in a while.

kreidel

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
DDO *puke*. At least the last time I tried it it was all instance based. Barely anyone was around to play with because that’s how much it sucked. Look up Wikipedia for the history. They shrunk and shrunk and eventually became free because no one wanted to pay for it. It reminded me of a 3D Diablo really…but behind it’s times for the MMO age.

I completely disagree.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
What the heck does 4 mil subs mean in a f2p game? Honestly, I've never heard anyone I know played that game. Either that or it just never comes up in conversation. But WoW somehow creaps into convo once in a while.

It's massive for a new dev team and their first game. In the West. It wasn't subs, but players as it's f2p. Each expansion, although pegged as a game on it's own, was full priced however. Do you know kaixin? Nope you don't. But that doesn't mean it isn't massive. How many boxes did Warhammer get, one of the strongest RPG IPs out there? 4 mill? Nope. And GW was an original IP.

So yeah, GW is The success story out there.

I'm not a GW guy, or a WoW guys or w/e. I play all MMOs when I can, so I'm speaking objectively on the numbers.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's massive for a new dev team and their first game. In the West. It wasn't subs, but players as it's f2p. Each expansion, although pegged as a game on it's own, was full priced however. Do you know kaixin? Nope you don't. But that doesn't mean it isn't massive. How many boxes did Warhammer get, one of the strongest RPG IPs out there? 4 mill? Nope. And GW was an original IP.

So yeah, GW is The success story out there.

I'm not a GW guy, or a WoW guys or w/e. I play all MMOs when I can, so I'm speaking objectively on the numbers.

I agree that GW is a success based on subscription numbers, but I tried it and thought it was inferior to WoW. You get what you pay for? ;)

Seriously I think for dedicated parties it could be ok, but I don't like 100% instanced questing space which is counter immersive imo because part of the appeal of a MMO, what makes it seem real is the chance of running into other players in the countryside, which can't happen in GW.

Now, the in-development GW might be better along with it's subscription as long as it is not 100% instanced questing space.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
An MMO on the iPad sounds ridiculously awesome. :D

No it doesn't. It would be like those cheezy MMO's. World of FarmVille Online. If you want ot play a real MMO on a pad, you'll have to get one of those HP's or Acers. :p

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I think torchlight the mmo will be the next big thing. free to play, coming out in a few years will mean many people will try it, and also bored with WoW.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Quite a few have if you look at the older posts. Been telling Huntn to try it but he's a weenie. :D

Extra long...:p

I've got this mental block about riding around in a space ship collecting stuff, battling others, and getting my ship wiped out and starting from scratch, as what I want to do in a MMO. I realize "starting from scratch" is an exaggeration. Just said it to be annoying! I did that in Terminus and on Steam recently (on another game of which the name eludes me) solo and while it was ok, it did not hold my attention long term.

BTW, is the Mac Eve client good, as good in performance as the pc client?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hasn't anyone tried EVE Online?

Guh, yea. I didn't find it enjoyable at all, was like an ungracious hark back to early 90's space exploration gaming.
I think "the next big MMO" is going to have to be accessible and enjoyable to most. I could see a Torchlight MMO being quite successful given how visually similar it is to WoW and the gameplay (at least of the original) is straightforward, deep and enjoyable.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I ditched Aion and am playing DDO. I am liking DDO because all my rl friends play together. When we played Aion everybody just solo grinded. Aion PVP was kinda crappy as well, it was only fun playing assassins and ganking in Asmo-land (or Elyos-land). Sold my 44 Templar for a good amount of $$$ though.

Anyway I like DDO precisely because it is like Diablo. Dungeon running is a lot of fun when the party members are your rl friends that you can talk to.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I completely disagree.

Can you extrapolate? Thanks.

I could see a Torchlight MMO being quite successful given how visually similar it is to WoW and the gameplay (at least of the original) is straightforward, deep and enjoyable.

Torchlight is more like Diablo than WoW. There are no outdoor areas to speak of, all dungeons if I'm thinking of the right game.

Anyway I like DDO precisely because it is like Diablo. Dungeon running is a lot of fun when the party members are your rl friends that you can talk to.

I can see that. Same reason GWs could be fun with a dedicated party.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Extra long...:p

I've got this mental block about riding around in a space ship collecting stuff, battling others, and getting my ship wiped out and starting from scratch, as what I want to do in a MMO. I realize "starting from scratch" is an exaggeration. Just said it to be annoying! I did that in Terminus and on Steam recently (on another game of which the name eludes me) solo and while it was ok, it did not hold my attention long term.

BTW, is the Mac Eve client good, as good in performance as the pc client?

It's not THAT bad. You just have to be more thoughful about what you spend and can afford to lose. You can loose very little and still have fun. It's not like you don't loose anythnig in WoW. Not talking about repairing armor either. I don't know about you but I found it pretty annoying to make some long axe runs from the graveyard and repeating spawns. Spending time is a loss too. It just has a lot more deph than most other MMO's and there's less "guidance" by the game. After a while everything gets boring no matter how good it is. This game is just a little different from the standard fantasy RPG MMO.

Nothing is better than the PC. Especially since you can add all these upgrades to it and DX10 (which EVE has). But if that doesn't matter that much to you, EVE doesn't allow interfacing like WoW. So it's not like you're going to miss out on that many add-ons. 3rd party desktop based utilities are another story of course, but that's always a Mac problem since less ppl use it.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
No it doesn't. It would be like those cheezy MMO's. World of FarmVille Online. If you want ot play a real MMO on a pad, you'll have to get one of those HP's or Acers. :p

That's the thing though, with the iPad, a whole new type of "MMO" could come out, something that we can't really assume now... As long as the graphics of the iPad support half decent graphics in a game, it has possibilities.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nothing is better than the PC. Especially since you can add all these upgrades to it and DX10 (which EVE has). But if that doesn't matter that much to you, EVE doesn't allow interfacing like WoW. So it's not like you're going to miss out on that many add-ons. 3rd party desktop based utilities are another story of course, but that's always a Mac problem since less ppl use it.

Mac version is on the same server as the PC version? Or I should say all the servers are linked? Thanks.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Mac version is on the same server as the PC version? Or I should say all the servers are linked? Thanks.

There's only one "server"....which is a bunch of linked computers, yes.

There's a Chinese server I think, but you can't play on it. They don't want us corrupting their people.

SingaporeStu

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009

The interface is the same. In the days when the Mac client was still new, there were many complaints about stability & such, since it was actually running on a Cider translation layer (I think it still is? I'm not entirely sure).

In any case, I use both Mac & Win client on my MacBook white (early 2009), and I see no discernible difference on it between the two, either in terms of speed, stability, graphics rendering, etc. I end up playing on the Mac client a lot more nowadays.

As for the steep learning cliff, well if you're the kind of player that prefers the instant-gratification type of game, WoW or similar is probably better for you. If you REALLY wanna play Eve, be prepared to get married to this game.
You can forget about ever hanging out with your buddies or having sex again... Your woman will probably leave you once you start playing Eve. The level of involvement needed is insane.

As for starting from scratch when you get podded, you really need to join a better corp.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The interface is the same. In the days when the Mac client was still new, there were many complaints about stability & such, since it was actually running on a Cider translation layer (I think it still is? I'm not entirely sure).

In any case, I use both Mac & Win client on my MacBook white (early 2009), and I see no discernible difference on it between the two, either in terms of speed, stability, graphics rendering, etc. I end up playing on the Mac client a lot more nowadays.

As for the steep learning cliff, well if you're the kind of player that prefers the instant-gratification type of game, WoW or similar is probably better for you. If you REALLY wanna play Eve, be prepared to get married to this game.
You can forget about ever hanging out with your buddies or having sex again... Your woman will probably leave you once you start playing Eve. The level of involvement needed is insane.

As for starting from scratch when you get podded, you really need to join a better corp.

Instead of "instant gratification", a better description would be "casual play". From this stanpoint the absolute best MMO game I've ever played is Planetside, pure PVP and I could log on twice a week and play for 3 hrs a pop and I never felt like I was missing out on anything. I think it's rare to get away with that for most MMOs. In WoW unless you were playing dedicated characters, with that kind of a schedule, all your friends would out level you.

The closest I've come to marrying a game and having my wife leave (;)) is WoW. Not the last time I played, but the first time I played I was logging about 20 hrs per week. From a rational logical stanpoint, I can tell you that is too much. I can't see that for a space combat game. Thanks for the input!

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Instead of "instant gratification", a better description would be "casual play". From this stanpoint the absolute best MMO game I've ever played is Planetside, pure PVP and I could log on twice a week and play for 3 hrs a pop and I never felt like I was missing out on anything. I think it's rare to get away with that for most MMOs. In WoW unless you were playing dedicated characters, with that kind of a schedule, all your friends would out level you.

The closest I've come to marrying a game and having my wife leave (;)) is WoW. Not the last time I played, but the first time I played I was logging about 20 hrs per week. From a rational logical stanpoint, I can tell you that is too much. I can't see that for a space combat game. Thanks for the input!

I told you guys Huntn's a weenie.

The first time I played WoW, this was my schedule (as I imagine most of the ppl I played with)...

Log onto WoW. Get booted off. Wait in a queue. Chat on Teamspeak about WoW.
Play until 3AM.
Go to work in a few hours.
Take lunch break for 1 hour in a phone room sleeping on the table.
Buy quick bite to eat at desk.
Play WoW after work until 3AM.
Weekend's aren't so hectic fortunately. It's just play WoW period.
;)

Fortunately no wife or girlfriend or anything like that. Because then I would have had to boot her and hurt her feelings. :p

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
I am a lot like Huntn. I have played several MMOs in the past. Played Meridian59 first, then moved onto Everquest, then tried Ultima Online. OMG the lag and bugginess when that started. Back to Everquest. Played that game a good many years. Had a lot of fun. But the grind was terrible.

Then when WoW came out, I was in the first Open Beta and was hooked from the getgo. Wifee and I both got into the game, which helps with keeping the wife problems with too much play at bay.

Then we both took a break, came back during Burning Crusade. This time however, neither of us were "TOO" addicted. Then we took another break and came back during WOTLK.

There have been gaps here and there. I have a PS3 with some games that I can't get into that much. I always go back to WoW. Casually, which is just fine by me.

Started an Alliance on a PvE server a few months back. Always played PvP. Still feel wierd at times not having to watch my back. Though I do like that aspect of the game.

WoW is simply the best game I have played and will continue to support it. Just not as fanatic as we were in the beginning. Two kids help in that department. But we both get a decent amount of play in.

Until the next big thing comes out, of which I don't see once on the horizon, I will be a WoWer, off and on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.