Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, a poster in our forums claiming to be a Best Buy employee reported that the company's internal inventory system had been updated to show that all MacBook Pro models had been "deleted", preventing Best Buy stores from ordering any new units of the existing models. Earlier today, the poster followed up with additional information in the form of a screenshot of the inventory system showing the "deleted" status for Apple's current entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro.

200141-best_buy_deleted_mbp_500.jpg

We have heard some whispers that Apple may be planning to introduce new MacBook Pro models tomorrow, coinciding with the Macworld Expo despite the lack of an Apple presence at the event. Late last week, an entry for an unreleased MacBook Pro model based on a new Intel Core i7 processor appeared in Geekbench's online benchmarking database.

Best Buy inventory screens are relatively frequent sources of rumors of imminent product updates, and they typically generate a significant amount of interest and discussion. We have been told in the past, however, that the company frequently makes changes to its inventory system in anticipation of future announcements without any official knowledge from Apple. This is not always the case, however, as an unidentified "mobile computing" device that appeared in Best Buy's system last May did turn out to be a revised MacBook that was released two days later.

Article Link: Current MacBook Pro Models Deleted From Best Buy's Inventory System? Updates Imminent?

cuse7284

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
"We have been told in the past, however, that the company frequently makes changes to its inventory system in anticipation of future announcements without any official knowledge from Apple. This is not always the case, however, as an unidentified "mobile computing" device that appeared in Best Buy's system last May did turn out to be a revised MacBook that was released two days later. "

This quote makes my day...

(keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow)

wbham

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
New Zealand
"We have been told in the past, however, that the company frequently makes changes to its inventory system in anticipation of future announcements without any official knowledge from Apple. This is not always the case, however, as an unidentified "mobile computing" device that appeared in Best Buy's system last May did turn out to be a revised MacBook that was released two days later. "

This quote makes my day...

(keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow)

That was a new product, this is only showing a discontinuation of a product, which isn't solid evidence the MBP will be updated Tuesday.. could be weeks away unfortunately

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The individual sales reps and even the sales managers at locations might possibly be clueless, but the chain buyer and inventory control system and purchase management system cannot possibly be clueless. They might have a placeholder name to comply with draconian Apple secrecy kabals, but somebody has to order and distribute it for it to be available on the "release date".

Apple will be sooooo much happier when there are no longer any computer dealers, music stores, bookstores, or video rental stores, and they simply own every distribution channel. :D

Rocketman

What GDP?

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Updated mobile forums! Sorry if this is old news.

iPastor

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Me Wants One!

I purchased an open box 17" MBP for $2099. Got it three weeks ago and have up to 45 days to return. i wouldn't mind spending the extra $400 to get a 17" MBP with an i7 Quad-Core Chip. That baby would fly!

bozeefus

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2008
Do the new i3/i5 series processors offer a significant performance increase over the c2d p7xxx ones they are currently using?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Jobs will have Best Buy fire any employee at Park City UT that started work at 4.30 today :eek:

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Come to papa...

Now, instead of making stupid comments like I just did, we should be speculating on what's being updated.

- processor is a given, but which one in which machine?
- better SD slot that where the card doesn't stick out
- IPS screen?
- external optical drive (my personal favorite)

bozeefus

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2008
Spec predictions anyone?

probably just a change in processor to i series. min ram will be 2gb like always and a 5400 rpm HD, like always.

nvidia GPU situation may be iffy. i don't think they will use the integrated intel HD gpu. or they might, and have switchable graphics?

also, does anyone know sort of performance incr these the i3/i5 series will provide over the c2d p7xxx series?

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
I've said this in another thread.
17 inch MacBook Pro
Intel Corei7 620 2.26
8 GB RAM
500 GB hard drive
Ati 5630 512 MB DDR3
with Final Cut Studio
PLEASE:apple:
I'm a broadcast major!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.