Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Tonight I put the atvusb-creator on my :apple:TV. Mine is way out of warranty and we were hoping to be able to add usb-storage to it, use XBMC, and Boxee.

After doing the patchstick and getting atvusb-creator booted on the :apple:TV I encountered my first problem. The SoftwareMenu portion of the atvusb-creator doesn't work with the latest :apple:TV software. It shows up on the main page of the :apple:TV but you can't do anything.

So I started doing some research. I found an XBMC debug launcher that is installed via SSH through Terminal on my Mac. I did this and now I had another menu option on the :apple:TV that gave me XBMC and Boxee. I played around with this and it worked fine.

However; I still had the SoftwareMenu options there that were not working. I found the updated Software and installed it via SSH/Terminal. This worked and allowed me to use the SoftwareMenu. I updated the 3rd party plug-ins and restarted my :apple:TV to enable them. This is where the big problem occurred. After updating I could no longer see the menu screen for anything. If I restarted I saw the entire intro to the :apple:TV and the Apple logo but as soon as it should have gone to the menu the screen goes blank. I can hear the little "beeps" of the cursor moving around when I hit the remote but can't see anything.

I ended up having to do a factory restore of this :apple:TV in order to get it to work properly again. Before I do the atvusb-creator again is there something I should avoid?

Also, once I have this installed how do I get it to recognize an external usb drive that contains a bunch of media so I can have more storage?

Thanks!

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, unfortunately, the ATVUSB-Creator still installs an old version of the SoftwareMenu. Davilla, the developer of the patchstick (and bootloader ALL patchsticks use) and one of the main dev's on XBMC and the main dev on the Broadcom CrystalHD card support (1080p), has been busy with those things and his full-time job, so the the patchstick is low priority right now.

No worries though, as it's an easy fix if you can run a couple of terminal commands:
1) Patch your ATV with the ATVUSB-Creator like you did before (this allows you to SSH into your ATV from another computer).
2) Get rid of "old" SoftwareMenu - Via Terminal:
ssh frontrow@appletv.local (password: frontrow)
cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns
sudo rm -r softwaremenu.frappliance
sudo reboot

3) Then install the new updated SoftwareMenu:
ssh frontrow@appletv.local
cd ~/Documents
wget http://iscripts.googlecode.com/files/SoftwareMenu-1.0b1.run
chmod +x SoftwareMenu-1.0b1.run
sudo SoftwareMenu-1.0b1.run
sudo reboot

4) After the ATV reboots you should now have a working SoftwareMenu. To get USB storage working, from the SoftwareMenu:
- install NitoTV
- and then run Nito's Smart Installer

Now you should see an external USB drive plugged into the ATV's USB port.

TheSeagull

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2010
I had the same problem as you and solves it by uninstalling what I last installed using ssh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.