Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
I think people are baffled that Apple is investing all the developer hours into what they feel are non-pro features like faces -- when they could've been adding something with more meat; say, for example, layers and masks. Add me to that list. <sigh>

My guess is that a lot of the "heavy lifting" of Faces support was done by way of a well-engineered library for use in iPhoto, and the Aperture team just added that to Aperture. Obviously, there's more to it than just slipping in a library, but I don't see anything indicating that Aperture re-wrote the Faces and Places features from iPhoto. In fact, given the prominent use of Google tools, I think you can see that Apple is big on reusing code :)

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
I like what I'm seeing here ...

Well, this looks like a really good update. I'll be getting this on my iMac when our bonus check comes in.

On the highlights:

Brushes

Yeah, that's why I was contemplating moving to LR altogether. Selective brushing in a non-destructive tool (and without having to "freeze" previous non-destructive edits as we would in a plugin approach) is a killer feature for me. I expected Aperture to come up with some response here, and looking at the promo materials they really hit it out of the park. I'll reserve final judgement until I actually use it, but it's a really good implementation from the looks of it.

Slideshows

I do a lot of slideshows. Anything that makes good slideshows easier is an absolute boon to me. If I can skip the export from Aperture / import in iMovie / etc rigamarole, that's good. I'm not entirely convinced that Aperture slideshows will be able to do what I'd done in Final Cut for years and am finally just able to do in iMovie, but it's looking quite promising. The tap-transition gesture is what I've been begging Apple to put into one of their slideshow apps for years (Final Cut comes close in that you can tap out the beats of a song as markers and then snap photos to those transitions). I expect the same thing will appear in iMovie '10. We'll see if Aperture becomes my slideshow tool.

GPS Support

We do a lot of hiking and exploring, and I always have my GPS tracker going along for the ride so we can show where we've been on Google Earth when we get back home. Right now getting this into Aperture involves several external tools and a good bit of voodoo.

Adjustment Presets

I've got one project in my library that has nothing but multiple versions of a single picture with different adjustments applied to it. I go to the version with the adjustments I want, lift all the adjustments, and stamp them onto the image I want to apply those adjustments to. Here, instead, I would save those adjustment collections as a preset, and apply them via a more natural drop-down. This is a nice improvement, eliminating the need for a clumsy workaround. Obviously I'll be using it. It will save me lots of time.

Full Screen Browser

Getting all the "cruft" out of the way is a great goal. I find myself constantly hitting the key to show/hide the projects panel so I can move between them, and there's never enough room on my screen (although the 27" iMac will improve that, especially since my old screen will still be running right next to it as a secondary monitor). A very nice improvement, and, again, one that I will use constantly and which will save me immeasurable time.

Faces

Okay, people don't like Faces. For me, it's great. I keep all our kids, team players, family members, etc, as keywords in Aperture, so I can quickly pull up the 3-star pictures of our eldest in the past year, or all the pictures of the youngest with her grandma, etc. I see Faces not so much as a replacement for that than as a helper for it: open a project and have Faces identify everywhere it sees Person X; select those (perhaps skip a few) and add the Person X keyword. Repeat. Eventually I might learn to trust Faces for this, but for now I'm sticking with my keywords. Faces is a helper.

Reordering of Projects

Yeah, this should have been in Aperture 1.1. It's a shame they have taken so long to get such a basic feature implemented.

Merge Libraries

That will save a LOT of time. Current workaround is to export each project on my laptop, copy them over, then import each project into Aperture on my main computer. That's painful, every single time. Plus, every once in a while I'll find that I end up doing some additional modifications on the MacBook library that I then need to get over to the desktop, and have to cross my fingers and hope I didn't make any other significant changes to the project on the desktop as I wipe it out and replace it with the laptop export. The smarter merge (keeping the most recent changes) would help a lot in peace-of-mind here.

Project-Level Info

Woohoo! We can now put "metadata" on the project itself! Again, something I've been asking Apple for for years finally makes it in!

Curves

Another nice tool to learn. Seems more flexible than the levels adjustments, although so far as I can tell they do the same thing (the levels adjustments were limited to 5 sample points, though).

Movie Support

I don't do much with them new-fangled moving pictures, but occasionally we'll have one we want to associate with a project in Aperture. Right now I have a separate folder structure in Finder which replicates the date-based Aperture Project structure, where all those movies go. And you just kinda have to know they're there. It'll be nice to have them back together with the pictures taken by the same camera / on the same trip.

Printing Options

When printing out for photo frames etc, I tend to export the images as JPEG then drop them into Pages for page-level layout. We'll see if Aperture's enhanced print layout tools can let me avoid the extra steps, at least some of the time.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Perhaps I'm the only one, but I see little to no desire for faces. Its a feature that seems lame especially for the professional or serious amateur.

Both Aperture and Lightroom have included "red eye" adjustments from day one. It's pretty obvious both apps are not strictly targeted at just professionals.

I think adding the non-pro features from iPhoto makes perfect sense. I don't really want to have to think "well this is a serious photo, so it'll go into Aperture" versus "this was just a family birthday party, so I have to put it into iPhoto" - I want to use Aperture for all my photos, serious or not. Plus some of the iPhoto-type tools, such as Places, are useful even for serious photos.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
Anyone happen to know if this is available in Apple retail stores yet? I'm going out of town this weekend and this would be nice to take with me.

thingsis

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2008
Germany
I would really like to try this out as I have been waiting for it for quite some time. How can I install the trial in addition to my current version 2 without breaking stuff?

jcure

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
Anyone happen to know if this is available in Apple retail stores yet? I'm going out of town this weekend and this would be nice to take with me.

I heard that it will be on the shelves tomorrow from an apple store employee. Let's hope!

bassism

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2004
I would really like to try this out as I have been waiting for it for quite some time. How can I install the trial in addition to my current version 2 without breaking stuff?

All you have to do is rename your current Aperture app in Applications, then the installer will make a second copy. It will automatically create a new library for you to experiment with without touching your A2 library.

Having played with it hands on for a short time, I'm really impressed. They fixed my greyscale bug, so I've nothing to complain about there.

The Curves tool works very well, a vast improvement over the broken levels tool they had previously. The Brushes also work really well. While they may not be as powerful as the PS tools, they will cover almost any photographic situation well.

The adjustment presets will be very nice to have. I never got along with the lift/stamp mechanic in previous Aperture versions, so I really welcome this change. I see this saving me a lot of time.

I think the new organizational features will prove to be useful as well, though that will come in time.

For myself, as I mentioned, I primarily work with film scans in b/w. My workflow currently consists of scanning, opening in PS to adjust curves, then importing that file to Aperture, doing my usual edits, and exporting to PS again if I want to do some burning or something like that. With Aperture 3 I can now do all of this directly in Aperture, non-destructively, and quicker.

A very highly recommended and appreciated update from what I've seen so far.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Well, this looks like a really good update. I'll be getting this on my iMac when our bonus check comes in.

On the highlights:
Great summary-- I had to keep checking if I was the one who wrote it, so I must completely agree!
I don't really want to have to think "well this is a serious photo, so it'll go into Aperture" versus "this was just a family birthday party, so I have to put it into iPhoto" - I want to use Aperture for all my photos, serious or not. Plus some of the iPhoto-type tools, such as Places, are useful even for serious photos.
I think you're at the crux of the issue-- people are too serious. I sometimes think people would like the faces feature if it could be used to delete shots where the subject smiled.

jjs1138

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2005
Plugins?

For me, the big consideration is how well my Nik and onOne plugins will work with Aperture 3. I already know that I will not be able to use Aperture in 64-bit mode and use my plugins. Is staying in 32-bit mode going to make that much of a difference in Aperture 3? How long will it take for the plugins to be updated to 64-bit? Will these be paid updates?
I love my plugins, but they tend to make the upgrade path for Aperture (or whatever app) a fair amount more difficult.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
LR users are falling out of their chairs in hysteria over Aperture3. It's still a consumer app designed for the kiddies that have outgrown iPhoto.
I disagree. While Aperture may not have the Adobe Pro market mindshare there is little if anything at all that Adobe LightRoom does that Aperture doesn't. I simply found the Aperture workflow easier, even after using LightRoom. However, if for some reason I were forced to use LightRoom I wouldn't care too much, I would just have to get comfortable with the program. I'm not such a fanboy that I'll fight over the two products, or resort to calling one user base "kiddies".

There is still NO HISTORY log associated with editing in this thing. You can't undo a change one step at a time.
Well that's true, but there's nothing stopping you from using command+z, or simply readjusting the image.

Neither has anybody else in the Pro market.

That's probably true, for the most part, although I'm sure documentary photographers could find some use for it. However, Aperture and LightRoom are both used by consumers (probably more consumers than professionals on both sides) and such features as Faces are geared toward them.

SnoFlo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
This is a fantastic upgrade. Aperture now supports multiple curves adjustments so I will have to dig a bit to see if masks are supported too to give us something like layers in Photoshop. I see also that Aperture now allows the user to choose a colour-space for image export to Photoshop unlike the ambiguous colour-space management in 2.0.

The native rendering of Canon 5D Mark II files looks very nice and noise reduction at ISO 1600 and above is hugely improved for this camera compared to the Aperture 2 RAW converter. I thought once I might switch to Capture One or Lightroom, but I'm happy I didn't.

jjs1138

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2005
Depends on your database size.

Depends on how fast the designers can make them.

Ask the developers. That's their call.

Haha. I just meant those as examples of questions I (and perhaps other users) need to ask myself in the face of considering an upgrade while using plugins. I didn't expect anyone here to actually have answers. Thanks for the effort though.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Haha. I just meant those as examples of questions I (and perhaps other users) need to ask myself in the face of considering an upgrade while using plugins. I didn't expect anyone here to actually have answers. Thanks for the effort though.
Ah! Sorry, missed your intention there. I am still waiting to install it tonight when I get home!

Fazzl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
does anyone know if you can sort albums by events like you can in iPhoto? that is the only thing keeping me away...

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Can i just buy the download link + serial?

Download the Aperture 3 trial, and it gives you the option of buying a serial number and activating it right away. You can have the full Aperture 3 RIGHT NOW if you choose to do so.

I'm going to use the trial for a little while before deciding though. I have a month at least.

jjs1138

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2005

But to answer one of my own questions... I have spent a few minutes playing with plugins in the Trial. I have already seen some problems with the Previews that are created after the plugin is applied. Even caused Aperture to crash. :confused:

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
importing gps tracks is extremely buggy, at least in the trial. Causes crash whenever i import a few more than mayb 20 points. Some of the points always cause crash –*impossible to import.

jjs1138

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2005
Crash

Here's a video of the crash I found that is related to image previews and/or plugins. In short the changes made in the plugin are not (seemingly) applied to the preview. But changes the window size will cause the preview to change from the pre to post plugin version... then crash.

http://gallery.me.com/jay.sims#100133

note: if it appears the video is not playing, scrub all the way to the end then back to the beginning and it should play fine. (a mobileme bug?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.