Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
Is it possible to see who has unfriended you on facebook ?

i have around 600 friends and cannot really keep track of
who has unfriended me, but it would be interesting to see
the couple people that have ......

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
No, from Facebook's website page about what gets published and who gets notified:

Stories will never be published about: ...People you remove from your friends.

And plus, somebody probably wouldn't want you to be able to tell that they have removed you from your friends list. I wouldn't, over the past couple weeks I have slowly been removing people from my friends list, mainly people who just friended me because they go to school with me but don't actually know me (which must be close to 100 people).

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I pruned about 100 of the people I didn't actually know in real life from my ~500 facebook friends a while ago, definitely wouldn't have done it if they'd had an easy way of seeing that I'd removed them.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I pruned about 100 of the people I didn't actually know in real life from my ~500 facebook friends a while ago, definitely wouldn't have done it if they'd had an easy way of seeing that I'd removed them.
Same here, most of the people that have friended me I have never said a word to. I too wouldn't have done that if there were a way for them to find out. Now I just reject the Friend Requests from the beginning, if you don't even speak to me when I (rarely) see you in person, then how could you exactly call each other friends online.

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Why does anyone add people who they don't even know? I see no point in getting, "1111!!11!11elevendy" friends.

So my point here is, you wouldn't have to worry about that if they were actually friends/people you really know.

IndyAnne

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
Revealing "unfriend" app

I installed this on Firefox to check it out. It's not retroactive, just in case you wondered.

The instructions are in a non-native English style, but clear enough to get going.

If you're put off by warnings about installing add-ons that have not been authorized by Mozilla, you might be put off about installing Grease Monkey. I took a walk on the wild side and installed it. I'll check back if my system isn't harmed in some way :) If you don't hear from me in a couple of weeks, send help. Or, don't worry about it -- I probably forgot.

If all goes well, the add-on I put into the FB web site as it appears on Firefox, will provide a link to see the record of how the 9 people I have requested to be friends will respond as well as anyone who unfriends me.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Ken-

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Oregon, USA
I simply do not trust plug-ins like this. It is far too easy to claim it keeps track of 'unfriending' and simply steals your passwords or other private information.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Sometimes I look at my friend count and I see it has dropped. So what? If I had to go this far to find out someone unfriended me, that means I don't really care.

I could easily have a hundred more friends, but I restrict my facebook friends to people I really interact with, not just "people I know".

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
Sometimes I look at my friend count and I see it has dropped. So what? If I had to go this far to find out someone unfriended me, that means I don't really care.

I could easily have a hundred more friends, but I restrict my facebook friends to people I really interact with, not just "people I know".

^ i have my facebook privacy settings pretty damn strict if you're not my friend, to the point of not being able to see anything. i have a list of friends called Limited Profile (i think that was a default Facebook label) that i threw like 50+ people on that i don't really want to see everything, such as my parents. i don't remove "people i know" for the mere fact that it would make facebook become boring more easily, and i know that's a bad thing to admit.

sarabella

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I've used an iPhone app called Defriended for a while now, works like a charm. All it does is keeps a list of your Facebook friends and then reports on the changes - adds and deletes. It doesn't tell you if a person actually deleted you or if they deleted their account altogether, but it's easy enough to search for them and see if they still exist on Facebook.

suff

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
I've used an iPhone app called Defriended for a while now, works like a charm. All it does is keeps a list of your Facebook friends and then reports on the changes - adds and deletes. It doesn't tell you if a person actually deleted you or if they deleted their account altogether, but it's easy enough to search for them and see if they still exist on Facebook.

Why does anyone add people who they don't even know? I see no point in getting, "1111!!11!11elevendy" friends.

So my point here is, you wouldn't have to worry about that if they were actually friends/people you really know.

I have requested a friend invite from people who I knew who they were but they didn't know me.. and I was curious to see what they look like now and what's up with them..Let me explain more

I requested a friend request from my nephew but he has not seen me since he was 4, I moved 3,000 miles away to California and his mother (my sister) and I did not keep in touch, but I changed a lot since he saw me, I was only a teen now I am an adult and had lip augmentation, my hair dyed lighter blonde and lost weight..I thought maybe he'd remember my name and remember I moved to California but originally from Connecticut..My first name and where I live and where I was from was all on my profile and I thought maybe he'd put it together, because he still knew of me even when he was a teen and now he is 25. So I requested an add from him so I could see all his pics and see what's up with him and he accepted my friends request and I didn't say anything to him, because I haven't been close to his mom, I haven't seen him for years but I was just curious to get into his profile to see his pics and what he is up to and then if he would had asked me if I was his aunt, I would had talked to him, a few days later he deleted me from his friends list..Not a word said..I don't know if he caught on who I was, but why delete me or he thought he didn't know me so he just deleted me but it's funny if he deleted me without realizing I'm his aunt...Now I don't know.

THEN when I had another Face book account I found my father's recent wife, my father never kept in touch with me growing up because my mom moved me to California and we lost touch. (yeah ****ked up family not close) anyway, His wife never met me and never knew me who has the facebook added me to her friends list after I requested an add, same last name as hers and the last name is not common, and she never said a word to me...I deactivated my other account because nobody talks to me on there or adds me like they do on Myspace, I have a lot of friends on Myspace..Anyways some of my Myspace friends said they were heading for Facebook so I made ANOTHER face book account, attempted to readd my father's wife and she rejected my request this time..I wonder if she even realized I'm her husbands daughter from his first marriage..The last name is not that common...

Then I saw some old high school people I have not seen since I was 14 when I had short hair, braces, was chubby with acne and I look like a totally different person and I doubt they will know who I am but they still have me in pending LOL:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I canceled my Facebook account the other day because their privacy policy sucks! I googled my name and I couldn't believe what I found! And yes, I had all my privacy settings set to Only Friends or No One.. Facebook blows!!

Eyeheartfrogz

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Central Coast, NSW, Aus
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mr. McMac said:
I canceled my Facebook account the other day because their privacy policy sucks! I googled my name and I couldn't believe what I found! And yes, I had all my privacy settings set to Only Friends or No One.. Facebook blows!!

Yeah I deleted mine a few weeks ago and surprisingly don't miss it. However I am now checking Mac rumors when I wake up lol.

The issues I had with Facebook were that I'm over the hype of knowing how someone is or what they have been up to, how many times they've picked their nose etc.. Without having to make an effort to make conversation. Plus I don't really care to know about every tiny drama in others lives. If its big then they will tell me.

On top of that, I had a few friends emails (who aren't even on Facebook) hacked.. Plus other completely unconnected Friends facebooks. All wothout passwords being changed and one of them only accesses mobile fb amd doesnt check er emails ever. Anyways this 'hacker' forwarded me stuff from their accounts / bogus emails set up which were copies off convos up to a year old that were about me or proved in some way certain friends were up to no good behind my back. I have no idea who was doin it or even why. It got a bit freaky for me so I deactivated fb and changed my phone number and all passwords. It night seem cool to have inside info on things people do behind your back but when it's stuff in the past or that's been dealt with it just makes things worse. We all bitch at one point afterall. Funny when I tactfully confronted certain people about what they'd said/done though haha. Luckily I'm not the type to hold a grudge tho :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.