Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uncle Pinny

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
London
Great guide. Thanks for the posting.

Quick question for someone who might know. I'm planning to replace my Superdrive with an SSD like in this guide. The idea is I'd like to install the drive then clone over the contents of the stock 1TB drive that I'm currently using.

Does anyone know if this is at all possible or are there issues when cloning from a normal system drive to a SSD. Should everything just clone then I simply select the SSD as boot drive?

Any advice welcome. THANKS

p.s. does the Superdrive look easy enough to open up? I'm hoping to retrieve my SD card that my girlfriend inserted into it the other day....

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Hi,

My advice would be to use a program such as SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to clone the drive. The other option would be to create a time machine backup (if you have a spare hard drive) and then restore from that backup. If cloned simply do as you said and mark the drive as the startup disk via system preferences.

The Super Drive is fairly easy to open and reassemble. You may however find that when removed from the iMac the SD card will become easier to augment out of the drive (tweezers or gentle shaking).

Regards

tchockey

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010

hi
First post, I have read many. But I had to post today, thanks for the tutorial, I upgraded my 21.5 with samsung 256 ssd and upgraded the hd from 500 to a wd caviar black 1tb. Everything works so far. fist time I put everything back, I had no picture. I had to go back in and reseat the display port cable. now everything works. Wow was I scared I thought I screwed something up.

one question I'am getting the loud fans. Did you come up with any way to shut them down with out shorting the wires. I really don't want to go back in if I don't have to.

I used the optical bay from (newmodeus 44.74 + overnight 19.65 total 64.40)

Xbench on samsung 256 came out to 197.17 is that good?

Never did this before, thanks for writing the tutorial.
If I put back the 500 gig hd will the fans go back to normal.
thanks mickey

tchockey

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
hi
I put back org. 500 gb hd, the fan noise went away. Need to find out how to stop the fans from running with new hd.

also took some pictures. how do I insert pictures.

thanks mickey

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
The best solution for you would be to use a program called SMC Fan Control. It enables you to manually control fan speed.

The other option you have is to use a piece of wire to short the Temp sensor connector. Place tape over the wire and do this at your own risk (nobody has reported a problem with this method but I personally prefer the method mentioned above)

The Score you have indicated seems typical of a indilex controlled SSD and I'm sure you are seeing the speed gains.

Enjoy

tchockey

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
hi
thanks again for all your help couldn't do it without you.

Did you try the smc fan controler, did it work and how low can you get the fans. Do you still hear them.
need to know before I put the 1tb back in.

The imac is super fast with the samsung ssd.
thanks mickey

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I couldn't say as I have never used the SMC method. Why not try the software with the stock hard drive? You can then decide if it is suitable for the 1TB Disk.

tchockey

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
here are some picture
samsung 256 ssd optibay and 1 TB wd black

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg
hi
DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

tchockey

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
hi
thats why I will keep my imac drive in a safe place.

First I bought mac air dvd drive at best buy and didn't work with Imac in usb slot, no power.

Bought external LG drive and it loaded adobe CS2 in almost half the time, the stock imac drive did. amazing !!!!!

I would of love to put the macair drive under the imac looks great. If anybody knows if it can be done please let me know.

thanks

tchockey

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Xbench Score Samsung 256 ssd

hi
here is xbench score with with samsung 256 with 24,000 songs in itunes about 120 gb of music.

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Looks great! Here is a link to the SuperDrive mod: http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/06/24/macbook-air-superdrive-for-all/

The SuperDrive is not drawing more power than a standard USB port so it will work with any powered USB port, the problem appears to be communication with the IDE to USB bridge (a handshake if you will). The solution is to buy a IDE to USB bridge and seems fairly straight forward.

Best of luck and thanks for the pics.

tchockey

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
thanks
ordered the part !!!!!!!! overnight, I will have it on thursday. Let you know if it works.
thanks

hogo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
so. cal
hey all taken:

How has your optical fan been acting? Still good? I relocated my sensor to the drive directly but it still runs hotter than all of the other components. Any alternate places you can think of? Thanks!!

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I can't think of any reasons as to why it would run at a higher fan speed, perhaps place the sensor on the metal of the optical caddy instead of the drive itself.

tchockey

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Hi
I put mine right were it was on the optibay and it works fine.

If I short the cable to put back the 1tb, can I screw anything up. Thats the black and white wire on the 3rd connector.
thanks

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Everybody who has shorted the cable has not had a problem, just be sure to cover it with tape - the connector you're referring to is it the sensor that is plugged into the stock drive? If so that's the correct cable.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
The fans still work, it will not overheat - the best way to check your fan speed and temperature is to use the iStatpro widget.

tchockey

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
not good !!!! open one too many times !!!!!

put in 1tb, everything was working great no fan noise.

then display shut off. I thought I didn't seat the back wire enough. while I was checking.

I notice the 2nd wire (backlight wire with the connector was fried, I must have
caught the wire on the screw or something and pinched it and the wires were expose and shorted out.
I don't know if I fired the backlight board or something else.

do you know of any test I can do to figure whats wrong.

Imac still boots up fine.

do you know where I can get apple parts.

thanks mickey

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
That's a tough one.

Sorry to read you have shorted the iMac. I think your best option is to put it all back together as stock and take it to a local authorised service centre. I'm not advising you lie but it may become the case that you don't mention anything other than "It stopped working properly".

See what happens and if you have to foot a bill then so be it. Please let me know what you decide and the outcome.

tchockey

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
hi
sold imac on ebay in 5 mins, put needs repair.

bought imac 24" latest 3.06ghz 4gb and 1tb 512 video.

I'am hoping the optibay is the same as the 21 and 27.

do you know if they are the same

thanks

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
UK
hi
sold imac on ebay in 5 mins, put needs repair.

bought imac 24" latest 3.06ghz 4gb and 1tb 512 video.

I'am hoping the optibay is the same as the 21 and 27.

do you know if they are the same

thanks

As far as I know - yes

tchockey

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
hi
have a question, I cancelled my 24" and ordered 27" i7 quad core I will have it on sat overnight from macmall. you think ssd will make it silly fast.

I also picked up another mac air cd drive and got the part. it works.
now, I can hookup to any usb port and power up. hook it up to 17 macbook pro and it reads and plays disc.

let me know about ssd in quad core.

I dont need to change out reg hd, its 1tb.
I should have more room to work with in 27 inch.
thanks mickey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.