Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musiqman

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
Enemy of the State

Why don't we just implant our kids with tracking devices? Why stop at the kids? Perhaps the state should implant all of us! It amazes me to see people embrace ideas like this with absolutely no concern for the long-term ramifications. I guess "privacy" and "individuality" are outdated concepts in the tech slave age. Today, FamilyMap. Tomorrow, well, I shudder to think.

You know people are talking about you... they say you're somewhat paranoid:cool:

musiciscool

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
security breach....

so what happens if a pedophile steals your phone? Picture and location of your kids? Maybe they don't even need to steal your phone if they can hack the system. This is lovely.:eek:

musiciscool

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Yea, and I suppose all those parents who've had their kids abducted are just whingers, right?

This tool actually facilitates abduction. A picture and the location of your children, with your location (miles away) mapped out as well. It's probably very unlikely that a kidnapper is going to leave the kids cellphone on for very long. If that is your hope, the next step Big Brother will do is issue GPS chips for all children, you know, for THEIR safety. :eek:

macroger

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
I can do this for free on my Droid on Verizon using google lattitude. I can also turn it on/off at will. Kids with the phone in hand could do the same if google lattitude was used.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
All little Kelly has to do is leave her iphone in someone's house or car near where she said she would be and then... audition for teen mom on Mtv while she gets it on with her 38 year old "boyfriend" across town in a burger king bathroon.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
AT&T priced this app at a point they felt "helicopter parents" would be willing to pay. Once that market's adoption has peaked for some time, I would expect AT&T to marginally drop the price but that depends on the app's overall success following launch. Before doing so, a few TV commercials touting success stories of parents who were reunited with their abducted children as a result of this app will help tip decisions of those parents teetering on the edge of a purchase decision.

Fear sells.

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
...the next step Big Brother will do is issue GPS chips for all children, you know, for THEIR safety. :eek:

Which will open the market for devices parents can buy to periodically (er, daily) scan their child(ren) to assure themselves that the chip is still working; followed soon after by such scare stories on the news as: "Are child abductors buying chip scanners to screen their potential victims?"

It never ends.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Do people really pay ATT monthly for all of this extra garbage? Arent there other ways to accomplish this service for free?

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
It is funny how everyone is fussing over the $10 per month fee - $120 a year, but is something happened to your child would it be worth $120 to know where they are - I think so - this things are easy to fuss about the price until it prevents something and then the cost is not even a discussion point.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
Family Map

I have this feature with ATT. Yes, I think it's to expensive BUT, I have a teenage daughter (she, her mother and I all have I-Phones) and it's worth every penny to check on her from time to time. She is well aware the we can locate her, and she can also locate us. We just don't abuse it. We have also used this to locate my wifes I-phone once when she left it in a resturant, so again: worth it!

As far as a teen leaving their cell to go run, today's teens can't breathe without their cell, no way they are going to leave it or turn it off!

jhon martan

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
AT&T now allows streaming voip, radio and video over their 3g networks. In turn, Apple has unrestricted the frameworks needed to do this in the iphone sdk. The wifi frameworks for streaming data have always been allowed on the iphone/itouch.
As far as rights to the songs go, you have to go to the publishing companies and get permission to use the songs for the stream. This can end up costing a lot of money because of copyrights ect..

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Where did the App go???

I know this is an old thread but seemed pointless to start a new one. I am trying to find this app but it is no where in the App store. Does anyone know why it is not there??? Is it temporary or has it been removed permanently??? Just activated this feature on my kids cause I have a daughter that tried sneaking out of the house and I just need to keep track of her for right now.

Thanks in advance for any info provided on this subject!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.