Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddyf24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
My iphone accidently fell in toilet!! please Help!!1 the indicator is white! but it wont turn on!!! and when i charge it it goes to the apple logo but very dark and turns off again!!! i took out the sim card ! what do i do!!!??????

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
My iphone accidently fell in toilet!! please Help!!1 the indicator is white! but it wont turn on!!! and when i charge it it goes to the apple logo but very dark and turns off again!!! i took out the sim card ! what do i do!!!??????

First off, refrain from plugging it in or trying to turn it on. Electricity and water don't play nicely. Chances are you already fried it when you plugged it in.

With the phone off, get an airtight container (tupperware) and fill it halfway with rice. Lay the iPhone on top of the rice and close the container. Leave it for at least 48 hours. Take it out and try it.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
First off, refrain from plugging it in or trying to turn it on. Electricity and water don't play nicely. Chances are you already fried it when you plugged it in.

With the phone off, get an airtight container (tupperware) and fill it halfway with rice. Lay the iPhone on top of the rice and close the container. Leave it for at least 48 hours. Take it out and try it.

This. Especially the bold.

Sucks dude.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
And just in case this isn't obvious, by "rice" we mean "dry uncooked white rice, like Minute Rice". Don't order Dinner For Two and drop it in the Chicken Fried; the whole idea is the dry white rice will draw-out and absorb any water. This worked for my brother when he dropped his new Blackberry in his coffee!

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
And just in case this isn't obvious, by "rice" we mean "dry uncooked white rice, like Minute Rice". Don't order Dinner For Two and drop it in the Chicken Fried; the whole idea is the dry white rice will draw-out and absorb any water. This worked for my brother when he dropped his new Blackberry in his coffee!

Yeah I probably should have included that.

You shouldn't assume anything goes without saying on the internet.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Shouldnt have plugged it in. Basic science man, electricity and liquids are not friends. You fried it.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
When will we learn

toilets and Iphones don't mix! rice is your best trick or refereb $199. btw any other company you be totally SOL! I know it's a bummer but a 1 second mistake and your out a phone!

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
i have never heard or the water sensor not being triggered when dropped in water...maybe take it to apple and tell them it just stopped working one day.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
i have never heard or the water sensor not being triggered when dropped in water...maybe take it to apple and tell them it just stopped working one day.

Yeah, lol. But its probably out of warranty anyway. By the way OP, do the basic decency of spraying some disinfectant on the phone before you give it to anyone to fix.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
These water threads always have the same posts.

"My iPhone fell in the water, toilet, lake, swimming pool, cup, sink, etc. What do I do?"

"Put it in rice and don't turn it on."

"I turned it on, so what do I do? Put it in rice?"

"Are your sensors pink or red?"

"Yeah, they're red. Can I get a new one? What if I paint them white or some other fraud?"

OR

"No, they're not red."

If no, then someone always says bring it to Apple and say it just stopped working. "Hopefully, they won't check the sensors inside the iPhone."

Of course, someone always mentions that the only real thing you can do is pay $199 for an out of warranty replacement due to water damage.

That would be me.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
Rice is your friend... but considering you've already tried plugging it in again.... that wasn't a smart move :/ good luck to you

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

It's fried. Only choice is to pay $199 for Apple to fix, or rather give you a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.