Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvzyl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Langebaan, South Africa
I have set up my Intel Mac Mini in the living room to act as an "Apple TV" but every time I start it up it complains that there is no keyboard and mouse connected. I then have to attach a keyboard and mouse before it will continue booting.

Is there a way to disable keyboard and mouse completely? I will either control it remotely or use the remote control for Front Row.

Cobus

cvzyl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Langebaan, South Africa
For anybody interested, found the answer to this problem on a site.

When OS X starts up and finds no USB keyboard and mouse it goes into a search for a Bluetooth device. This is actually the bugging screen where I got stuck. Disabling this "search if normal keyboard/mouse not found" under the advanced options of Bluetooth settings (system prefs) stops this annoying behavior and you can happily boot your mac without any keyboard or mouse attached.

Cobus

ray648

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
Thanks for posting that find. I've been looking to get a mac mini soon for exactly the same use, so you've saved me the hassle of trying to find the solution myself.

Ezra1107

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Thank You!

Thanks for posting this tip! I'm using my Mac Mini for the same reason, I think it is a much better solution than the Apple TV and it solves the Hulu problem.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I couldn't find this option. are you using leopard?

same here. I have one that says 'open bluetooth setup assistant at startup when no input device is present' is that it?

I do use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse occasionally so I wouldn't want that to stop them working.

I found that using a 'remote' mouse via ipod touch works too (I use my mini as a HTPC usually, and it often pops this reminder up). Eg jaadu VNC, airmouse or other apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.