Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theblindbandit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
I am 15 years old and a responsible teenager (if there is such a thing). I am probably one of the biggest Apple fan ever. I have had basically every iPod model that exists at one point or another. I currently have an iPod Touch 64GB 3rd Generation. I love it, but I HATE having to carry that AND my low-quality AT&T phone everywhere I go.

I REALLY want the iPhone, but whenever I bring it up to my parents they just say something like "now is not the time" or "in your dreams". I even offered to buy it with my own money, and pay the monthly AT&T fee. I am sure they have good reasons why they wont let me have one, but they said that they are open minded and I have a chance at convincing them.

What are some good points to discuss with them about why I SHOULD have the iPhone. How can I persuade them to let me have one?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem of mine.

Thank you in advance!

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
My suggestion (not being sarcastic):
Wintertime, shovel snow out of driveways and sidewalks for money.
Summertime, mow lawns for money.

Earn money to buy one yourself. That will show your parents that you really do want it, and if you're responsible like you say you are then this will merely prove it. It will also show that you really are willing to work for something you want.
Most 15 years olds just "want" mommy and daddy to give. They don't earn it. Thats why most things they have don't have a worth to them.
If you work for this, and you get it, you'll take care of it because it now has a value to you.

My point, if you want it you'll earn it and not just want someone to give it to you like children do.

I wanted my car. I worked, I earned. Welcome to your first steps in becoming an adult. ;)

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Well, you'll have less **** to lose. That's a good thing. iPhones aren't cheap monthly, so I can understand your parents reluctance to want to get one for you.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
My suggestion (not being sarcastic):
Wintertime, shovel snow out of driveways and sidewalks for money.
Summertime, mow lawns for money.

Earn money to buy one yourself. That will show your parents that you really do want it, and if you're responsible like you say you are then this will merely prove it. It will also show that you really are willing to work for something you want.
Most 15 years olds just "want" mommy and daddy to give. They don't earn it. Thats why most things they have don't have a worth to them.
If you work for this, and you get it, you'll take care of it because it now has a value to you.

My point, if you want it you'll earn it and not just want someone to give it to you like children do.

I wanted my car. I worked, I earned. Welcome to your first steps in becoming an adult. ;)

He already said he could pay for it himself and he'd pay the monthly fee.

This is BS or not, depending on what kind of student you are, but you could say it will help you with your schoolwork when you're not at a computer.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
it does absolutely every thing. EVERYTHING! there are over 140,000 apps on the appstore, thats just the app store, add on jailbreak apps and theres around 200,000 apps. all these apps are created by different people, who each have different ideas. i can control my computer from any where in the world on my phone. i can use my phones camera as a webcam for my computer. i can play the real rockband on my phone. i have maps, stocks, weather, email, internet, ebay, you name it, i got it. tell your parents to read this post, and show them some other threads on this forum. you can do anything with this phone, and i mean ANYTHING!!!!!!

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
you are 15, if you can buy the phone and pay the monthly bill WITHOUT YOUR PARENTS HELP then do it

this doesn't mean that you can pay for your phone, and then ask for an allowance later

if you feel like you are man enough to be independent, then prove it

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
im 14 and my dad bought my iphone and pays the monthly bill. i got my nagging out for myself to get one...now im trying to do the same so my parents can each get one.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
it would run like crap. and id have to code all the drivers and most of the features wont work. my dad has a chocolate 3 on verizon and my mom has a razr on verizon.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Do what I made my 15 Year old and 17 year old do.

They had to save to pay for their phones, also they had to save enough to give us 1 years worth of Data plan so that would be $360 each then I would hook them up with the iPhone.

My oldest realized it wasn't worth it for him, the younger one has the money but decided for what he would be spending it was not worth it, however those were my requirements. So tell them you will pay for the phone and hand them $360 or $720 for the data coverage, I am sure if they see something like that much of a commitment from you they would allow you too, but then again I am not them. Good Luck

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010

They had to save to pay for their phones, also they had to save enough to give us 1 years worth of Data plan so that would be $360 each then I would hook them up with the iPhone.

My oldest realized it wasn't worth it for him, the younger one has the money but decided for what he would be spending it was not worth it, however those were my requirements. So tell them you will pay for the phone and hand them $360 or $720 for the data coverage, I am sure if they see something like that much of a commitment from you they would allow you too, but then again I am not them. Good Luck

epic parenting right here

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
Learn to program in ObjC and tell your parents that u need an iPhone if you want pursue programming. U need the ability to perform hands on testing and not just through the simulator.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Look. You are not old enough to enter into a cell phone contract. I would save up enough cash to cover 3 months of cell phone bills plus the ETF and offer that to them on top of agreeing to pay for all expenses for the phone/contract. Think about it from their perspective... They have relatively little control over what you do with the phone and yet they are the ones who are legally responsible for your bill with their credit on the line. You're not an adult nor are you entitled to the phone. Admit that, and give your parents enough financial incentive to prove that you are willing to accept the consequences should you not follow through with your word.

Act like an adult; they may treat you like one. Good luck.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
i simply wanted and got my iphone as my first phone. i just got it for my b-day and had one ipod. maybe cause i didnt ask for much i got it:rolleyes:

also that works. only ask for thing you really need. not simply cause the new ipod is .000001 thiner :rolleyes:

apple3g040193

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
i feel ur pain im 16 and had to convince my parents to let me get an iphone last year so they said if you get a job and pay for the 30 extra dollars a month plus the cost of the phone they would let me buy one they said that since scholl was the most important thing that i only had to work on the suummers and pay the data during the summer months maybe trying to work out a deal like this with ur psrnts would help good luck

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Dang. lol.

There are many of us old farts here that work and stuff too, I'm 23.. $35 for regular phone vs $85 for an iphone...

Hrmmmmmm..

regular phone wins!

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010

Love it! Good for you! So many parents now days just give their kids whatever they want. Then they wonder why they grow up spoiled and dependant.

In regards to selling your parents on the iphone. I'm in sales, and sales 101 is to ask questions. There is no point in trying to convince them about things they don't care about. Ask what their concerns are, and what it would take to make them feel comfortable letting you get it.

Just make sure you are prepared to tell them what you are willing to do in regards to paying for it and the plan etc.

Good luck!

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
its a funny story how i got my iphone. where i live, mcdonalds hires at 14, ok thats just an example, i was gonna work at my moms work which also hires at 14. im in 8th grade. that was just to get you to know what was going on. so i told my dad i would get good grades in school if he got me the iphone, and then i also said i would pay the bill every month by working at my mom's work. ok, so he got it for me. when i asked my mom if she could go into to work and ask her boss for a position for me, she said, "oh no, you have to be 14 and in 9th grade." LOL!!!! got an iphone and i dont have to pay a cent. thought it was pretty funny lol.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Why not just show your parents this thread. i'm sure they'll see how badly you want the phone and how willing you are to pay for it.

best of luck.

OCS12

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Sheboygan, WI USA
Just show them the "find my iPhone" feature and agree it won't be disabled. Most parents would love the ability to know the whereabouts of their 15 year old child anywhere, anytime...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.