Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuartCH

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Sunderland, UK
right, my Mac has developed a problem where it would work fine for a couple of minutes, but then the fans would come on full blast, it all works fine but it's really loud and gets on my nerves quite alot. would replacing the fan fix this or is it something more complicated then that?

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Try shutting it down, then disconnecting the power cord for a good minute or so. That should reboot any leftover data the computer stored, and might fix your fan problem.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
yeah switching off for a while is one idea

another is to make sure there actually is no good reason for the fans to be running.... i mean install iStat if you havent already and check your internal temps... its possible they are very high for some reason and the fans are doing exactly what they should be (i used to have imac g5 and could get very hot if doing heavy lifting)

StuartCH

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Sunderland, UK
If it was a matter of rebooting the problem would have been long gone :(, it does not get hot at all, the fans come on for no reason, thats it. is there anything else I can do?

StuartCH

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Sunderland, UK
I have a rev. A iMac G5, I've heard from alot of people on forums that you have to take the back off and press a small button and that resets the power management. can anyone confirm this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.