Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Hello all-- I am looking for information from modders/folks who have been there/done that. I am researching ways to make my B&W quieter without sacrificing heat dispersion. This B&W machine folds 24x7 so I would prefer cool over silent, but I know there are ways to improve both. Aside from gaskets, noise dampening materials, right now my question is about case fans.

Does anyone know the size of the B&W case fan, and have any recommendations on what to switch it with (brand/size etc)? I've heard Pabst makes decent fans and that Delta sucks. I'd like to move enough air to keep the case cool-- I've already plugged in a 40x40x20 Sunon fan and screwed it into the heatsink so I am pretty sure the CPU is happy. If anyone wants to just talk about what's worked for them, I'd love to hear.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NH
FuzzyBallz said:
The 1st step in cooling the system is have low ambient/room temperature. Got AC?

yep!

I think I have the temp under control... now since this machine runs all the time, I'd like to quiet it down a bit. The case fan is the loudest part of it... the PSU fan is actually very quiet, although I'd consider hacking out one of the finger guards if it came to that...either on the case itself or on the PSU unit. So I would like to know if anyone has a clue or recommendation on case fans... *without sacrificing low running temp*

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
if your feeling dangerous, do what I did: get a dremel and cut 2-3 80 mm holes in the side of the case (opposite the mobo, duh!), or you culd cut 1-2 blowholes.

i don't know about the front or rear of the case but you could cut a hole or two in them.

you can find pretty good fans here.

if all else fails: go to home deopt, and get one of those in-window air conditioners and duck tape it to the side of the case....

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NH
musicpyrite said:
if your feeling dangerous, do what I did: get a dremel and cut 2-3 80 mm holes in the side of the case (opposite the mobo, duh!), or you culd cut 1-2 blowholes.

i don't know about the front or rear of the case but you could cut a hole or two in them.

you can find pretty good fans here.

if all else fails: go to home deopt, and get one of those in-window air conditioners and duck tape it to the side of the case....

:) Thanks for the advice!

I will check out that site. Not sure about chopping holes into the case right now, but maybe when I am bored and/or under the influence (and feeling dangerous).

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
keysersoze said:
:) Thanks for the advice!

are you refering to the advice about the dremel and fans; or the advice about using an air conditioner to cool your computer? :D

and if you need help about how to do this, just google around, there are loads of sites that will tell/teach you how to different kinds of mods...

here is an example on how to cut a side hole thourgh plexi glass, although i doubt that your g3 has any plexi glass windows ;) i assume that plastic and metal would be about the same if you know what your doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.