Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Domenic182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I downgraded it to 1.1.1 and from there it started freezing and restarting and all sorts of bad stuff.
Then I upgraded it back to 1.1.4 and it kept doing it. And now it shut off and I haven't been able to turn it on.
It's not the battery because it was full.

vegas-steven

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
I downgraded it to 1.1.1 and from there it started freezing and restarting and all sorts of bad stuff.
Then I upgraded it back to 1.1.4 and it kept doing it. And now it shut off and I haven't been able to turn it on.
It's not the battery because it was full.

try and do this:

1. start itunes.

2. plug the ipod into your computer

3. hold the power (on top) and home (on front) buttons for a few seconds.

the ipod should power up, and if if is screwed up, will be in recovery mode... from there itunes will tell you that it finds your ipod in that mode, and needs to restore it.

just click restore, sit back and it should work again.

did you hack it at all?

if you did not hack it, and that doesnt work, call applecare and see what they say. maybe it is faulty?

still, from my experience with my friends ipod that i made 100% unusable, there is a way to restore even the most broken ipod as long as it has a battery charge.
i suspect a small portion of the memory is dedicated to keeping emergency boot files that allowe you to restore, no matter how bad things get.

Domenic182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
try and do this:

1. start itunes.

the ipod should power up, and if if is screwed up, will be in recovery mode... from there itunes will tell you that it finds your ipod in that mode, and needs to restore it.

did you hack it at all?

if you did not hack it, and that doesnt work, call applecare and see what they say. maybe it is faulty?

still, from my experience with my friends ipod that i made 100% unusable, there is a way to restore even the most broken ipod as long as it has a battery charge.
i suspect a small portion of the memory is dedicated to keeping emergency boot files that allowe you to restore, no matter how bad things get.
That worked, but it's still freezing and restarting a lot. What do I do?

Minority21

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
Restoring won't do anything. It will continue restarting and doing stupid stuff. This exact same thing happened to me.

MY SOLUTION: I basically let it sit for a while (a couple of days without touching it). On the third day, I turned it on, and voila, no problems. It turned on, and didn't restart. I was able to turn it off and it stayed off. I think it may have been something in the ROM that was causing this problem, possibly if you are installing too many programs through installer if your ipod is jailbroken, but who knows. Try it out and good luck.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I would hazard a guess that if you have restored properly (NOT updated) and it still exhibits problems like this that there is a hardware fault. Possibly in the power area. If it works after sitting a couple days, that would seem to corroborate my theory. I don't see why the memory would be affected by a rest. But battery and other power circuits could be.

I'd use it a lot to see if this comes back. All Touches are still under warranty. If this shows up again, bring it in for replacement.

Lil-Don

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
My iPod will not turn on either.

Hi, I think I am going through the same problem as the one above. Ive tried all of the steps that people have suggested, but none have worked.

When I plugged in my iPod Touch v.1 into my PC and turned on iTunes. It did not find my iPod. I held in the power and home button for about 5 -10 seconds, but still nothing happened.

If anyone has or is going/been through this, please, just post what you did to resolve it. If there is not a solution, I will send it away to Apple Repair and Inspection Centre, to see what they can do.

Please Help!

------------------------------

BryanSanDiego

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
San Diego Country Estates, CA
Dfu Mode

you might be stuck in a DFU mode or just looped try the following a few times to see if this helps. Since you are using a PC and you might have other conditions try the following steps if this does not work PM and I will set up a web session and try to help you face to face.

Thank you,
Bryan Simonson
SemiQuasi.com

Hold the power and home buttons down (the iPod will power off after 10 seconds, but keep holding those buttons down)
After the iPod powers off, release the power button (but keep holding the home button down)
After a couple more seconds, you should hear that magical “ding dong” that means the iPod is coming back alive, and that Windows has detected it. You may even see a little “New hardware” popup in Windows. It is now safe to release the home button, and your iPod is in DFU mode.
Now iTunes will see it as a DFU mode iPod and should ask you to automatically restore its firmware.

TheCuban

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Hello Steven, It works perfectly

This solution was fenomenal, no matter how bad things , after It was almost imposible to wake up my ipod again, trying diferents methods and research for the solution, It restarted , not in recovery mode I think, ITunes copied again only the music, it syncs perfectly.

Felipe R Valera

Thank you Steven

try and do this:

1. start itunes.

did you hack it at all?

iPod Hacker

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
My jailbroken iPod Touch WON'T TURN ON!!!

Please I need help! I recently jailbroke my iPod Touch and I had to turn it off for something to work. Then I tried turning it back on but my computer said that it wouldn't recognize the device. I also tried putting it into recovery mode, but it still said it couldn't recognize the device! The next thing I'm going to do is wait for a few days and try again. My iPod Touch is a second generation. (And yes, it is possible now to jaibreak an iPod Touch 2G.) PLEASE HELP! I will check this thread every day. Also please email me if you have a solution at Fessler.Chris@gmail.com. THANKS!

TheCuban

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Try This

Hello my friend:

First you need to know that jailbreaking you ipod or unlocking a phone can cause malfunction sometimes, in this case, you ipod :

1.Can slow down your device and decrease battery charge quicker.

2.Buttons not working or flashing screen.

3.Can cause other problems also.

What error message exactly you are viewing when you conect your ipod.

if you have set up and email account , can you listen the sound it makes when an email is coming?

ok

Try this, Conect you ipod and hold the power (on top) and home (on front) buttons for a few seconds.

to see if the ipod power up, you will see the apple symbol in the screen, then it asks for password, type it and run itunes.

Good Luck

Felipe R valera

iPod Hacker

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
:apple: sign appeard on my ipod!!!heres how it works

1ST:put ur ipod in dfu mode by holdng the home and power/sleep button for 10 seconds,then just keep holding the home button WHILE PLUGGED INTO UR COMPUTER,and keep it like that till itunes pulls up on ur computer,and press restore,wait for it to rstore,amnd ur ipod works!!!HOPE IT HELPS!!!:D

itouchhacker98 AND TheCuban helped me! Thanks guys!!!

jamesdean2002uk

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
hi ppl, im new to this....got a problem with ipod touch

it wont do anything !!!

tried going thorough itunes, tried reseting it, tried everything it wont turn on - even after a charge

any ideas please??

mytouchisawesom

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
The BEST WAY

The same thing happened to me recently. I called apple support and they helped me a lot. Just plug it in to your computer or a wall charger and hold down the home and power button at the same time for 5-10 seconds. Hope this helps you like it helped me. :apple:

smg4life01

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
yo

when i switched off my ipod it just went blank and are u sure if u leave it for a few day it would switch back on with the same stuff you had on it

Restoring won't do anything. It will continue restarting and doing stupid stuff. This exact same thing happened to me.

MY SOLUTION: I basically let it sit for a while (a couple of days without touching it). On the third day, I turned it on, and voila, no problems. It turned on, and didn't restart. I was able to turn it off and it stayed off. I think it may have been something in the ROM that was causing this problem, possibly if you are installing too many programs through installer if your ipod is jailbroken, but who knows. Try it out and good luck.

smg4life01

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
yea

yea but was ur ipod jailbroken

The same thing happened to me recently. I called apple support and they helped me a lot. Just plug it in to your computer or a wall charger and hold down the home and power button at the same time for 5-10 seconds. Hope this helps you like it helped me. :apple:

sylphina

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
today my itouch stopped working. I was using it, closed it, put it in it's case in my purse. When I went to open it back again, it never did. My battery wasn't down, I didn't crush it or drop it. It was never hacked or altered in any way. I pluged it in my computer, but it doesn't do anything. I tried holding power and pressing home at the same time, but still nothing.

... is it dead forever ?

drownboy

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010
dead Touch 16Gb

My iPod touch was in "erase all content and settings" mode when it went out of battery (i think so because it took more than 2.5 hours to complete but only half of battery was remained) and now it won't turn on no matter how i try. Both Windows and iTunes can not recognize it (even a message of "can not recognize"):(. Please help me if you know the solution

muffins600

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
my ipod touch..

same problem. my ipod touch died one day, so i decieded to charge it. when it was charging it turned to the apple symbol then stopped turned off, and did the same thing. i've had it for a year and a month. i have no clue what to do, its been like this for about a month now. please help.

Lewp

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
Ipod Touch Problems :/

Ok so here's the spill, I had my Ipod touch jailbroken about 5 maybe 6 months ago.

I wanted to return it to stock firmware (btw i'm using blackrain & cydia)
I went into cydia and deleted most of the files hoping it would just be simple and return it to it's original form.

Well life's a bitch and I should of known it wasn't gonna be easy, now it will start up, the apple icon will pop up and then it will cut back off.

it's not dead it just will not cut back on, does anyone here know of anything that I can do to just have it back to stock form?

my email is: Lewpslist@gmail.com

please reply, Thank You!

itouchhacker98

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
Ok so here's the spill, I had my Ipod touch jailbroken about 5 maybe 6 months ago.

I wanted to return it to stock firmware (btw i'm using blackrain & cydia)
I went into cydia and deleted most of the files hoping it would just be simple and return it to it's original form.

Well life's a bitch and I should of known it wasn't gonna be easy, now it will start up, the apple icon will pop up and then it will cut back off.

it's not dead it just will not cut back on, does anyone here know of anything that I can do to just have it back to stock form?

my email is: Lewpslist@gmail.com

please reply, Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itouchhacker98
:apple: sign appeard on my ipod!!!heres how it works

1STput ur ipod in dfu mode by holdng the home and power/sleep button for 10 seconds,then just keep holding the home button WHILE PLUGGED INTO UR COMPUTER,and keep it like that till itunes pulls up on ur computer,and press restore,wait for it to rstore,amnd ur ipod works!!!HOPE IT HELPS!!!

skweel

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
try and do this:

"1. start itunes.

just click restore, sit back and it should work again."
That was awesome! It worked perfectly. THanks!

Don2

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
I do not understand how a too low battery could kill the bios or what ever. The reason I question this is that when the battery is replaced the IPOD sees zero voltage. Now maybe there is some backup voltage in a capacitor but I have never read about having to be quick about replacing the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.