Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
well, after about 3 weeks of use, my 12 inch book palm rests seem to be getting a lil dirty. Whats a good way to clean em without scratching the ibook? :confused:

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
A soft white pencil eraser, just make sure you don't get crumbs in the keyboard.

There's also another product some people around here recommend, I can't remember what it's called, I'll wait for one of them to post about it. But the eraser is a fine in a pinch.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
The iKlear product line is great for screens and surfaces. It can get pricey if you need to clean it often.

I use a rad tac sleeve and screen protector and things still get dirty. Maybe try wahshing your hands before use. The white sure shows oils and grime. Sweaty hands also make the dirt stick better so it shows up more.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I bought a $0.75 spray bottle from Walmart and filled it 99% of the way full with plain water and then just a drop of rubbing alcohol, just enough to give it a little more cleaning power than water. Works great on the case of my 12'' PB and the screen also. Obviously I spray it on a cloth first and not directly on the case or screen.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Technically, this will void your warranty. it cam also weaken the plastic and often take special coatings off the LCD screen.

Rubbing alchohol has many good uses, but I do not suggest this s one of them.

If it works for you and you are happy, then fantastic. But keep in mind you may risk yellowing of the plastic, and dulling of the LCD with repeated use.

Celeron said:
I bought a $0.75 spray bottle from Walmart and filled it 99% of the way full with plain water and then just a drop of rubbing alcohol, just enough to give it a little more cleaning power than water. Works great on the case of my 12'' PB and the screen also. Obviously I spray it on a cloth first and not directly on the case or screen.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
The amount of rubbing alcohol in the water is so insignicant that it doesn't pose any problems at all. Works just fine, if not better than that ridiculously priced "iKlear" solution, which is most likely a similar concoction.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Goo-off.

Thats all you need.

Goo-off.

Actually there's a funny little insident I had with Goo-off. I had a reddish old CD-ROM that I wanted to paint black, so I used the stuff to get rid of the red pain, it did it's job just fine, untill I accidentally go a few drops on my tan carpet.

Now the carpet has a quarter sized *pure white* spot on it.

I'm an idiot!!! :D :cool:

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods
iKlear and my ShaggyMac screen wipe work great to clean the screen or the body. The Aluminum body smudges easy, but iKlear makes it betta.

get the iKlear bottle, the kit is overkill. got mine at http://shaggymac.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.