Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
Ok, my friend is willing to buy me a wireless apple keyboard as a graduation present. I just need to know if it will work or if I have to buy something.
I've checked the Apple site, I've looked around my computer, and I''ve checked these forums. So far all I've come up with is that the education version of the G4 MDD has built-in Bluetooth, and other than that, I have to buy a little USB adapter. I don't really want to buy a silly little adapter to stick in a USB port, seems like something I could loose, or won't work the best, or in some way be a waste of money to me. I based my assumption on this from Apple's Educational G4 page:

"It’s also ready to connect to networks through the built-in Gigabit Ethernet, 56K modem, Bluetooth, or optional AirPort Extreme Card (AirPort slot and antennas are already included)."

So is there some PCI, pcmcia, or another internal card or port that I can get a Bluetooth module for? If all I need is the USB adapter and it works fine for others, then I guess thast what I'll do.

Thanks in advance.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The internal option is best, just because it's easiest, but my G5, iMac, and old 1999 G3 PB all use the D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth adapter, and I've had no problems with it. It's small and very, very easy to set up, and it's $40 or less.

Of course, if you're buying a new Mac, you can get BT installed as a build-to-order option on any of the ones that don't come with it already.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
Alright thanks for the info. Now that I think about it I remember looking at that BTO option for Bluetooth thinking "wtf, im never gonna need that..." silly me... haha. Guess I'm going for the adapter. Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.