Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleDannie

macrumors member
Original poster
I'm new to the MAC OS, having migrated over from the PC side. I have an eMac running MAC OSX 10.5.8, with 2GB Ram. I'm having a couple of minor glitches that are driving me insane.
1. My computer always starts with EverNote running full screen. On the Dock, I have clicked the Open on Start up to remove the check mark, yet the next time I start up, there it is again. How do I permanently keep it from running at start up?

2. When I close EverNote, I then find a dialog box from ActionFX Log In that states that "To view this page, you must log in to this area on http://www.actionfx.com 80". I don't have a log in name or password to enetr. How can I stop this script from running?

3. Every time I start the eMac, the SuperDrive door opens and stays open. After the computer finishes, then I have to manually close the door (F12). Is this normal? Can I not open the tray automatically?

OK, was able to finally get Evernote not to run at startup. Just need to know about the SuperDrive door and the running script.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you may render on these issues.

Uncle Dannie

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
The SuperDrive door should not automatically open on boot-up. Not got much of a clue what causes it however, but that shouldnt happen, and hasnt occured to me on any Mac Ive used, ever. This includes several similarly configured eMac G4s. Check theres no dust or anything that could make it think it has a disc inside it. As for the scripts I cant help you, sorry.

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Under your account name in System Preferences/Accounts is a tab that says "Startup Items" from there you could remove those annoying programs. If they are not there, then they could be in /Library/StartupItems. Drag them to the trash.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
See, I knew you folks could help. Solved everything except the SuperDrive drive door automatically opening every time I start the eMac. It's a small nuisance but one I can learn to live with.

By any chance are you unconsciously holding down the mouse button when you boot?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
just out of curiosity
have you tried to connect a wired mouse and keyboard , just to rule out the wireless ones for causing the opening

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Nope. I jut touch the 'ON' button on the side of the eMac. However, to be honest, I'm using a wireless mouse and keyboard, that connects via a USB receiver. They are made by Kensington.

It could be an incompatibility with the Kensington peripherals. If drivers are necessary, do you have the latest version? As an experiment, disconnect the USB receiver and startup the eMac, does the Super Drive open? If possible try using an Apple wired keyboard/mouse and see if it has the same effect? If possible try using any wired keyboard/mouse and see if it has the same effect?

UncleDannie

macrumors member
Original poster
Actually, no, but I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back.

Problem Solved (sorta). Yep, it was the Kesington PilotBoard Wireless desktop for Mac that is causing the problem. Not to worry, it's an inconvenience that I will just live with until the keyboard/mouse finally fails, then I'll upgrade to whatever Apple has at that time. The PilotBoard has the latest drivers, so nothing else needs to be done.

Thanks for everyones help. I never thought about the keyboard/mouse unit being the culprit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.