Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPhoneuserSuper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
I uninstalled blackra1n by mistake before I was able to install Cydia
and others.
Now I am unable to get blackra1n icon back to my iphone 3Gs. I do use
blackra1n
everytime I reboot my iphone but it won't add its icon anymore. What can
I do to fix it?
Thanks.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Blackra1n detects if your phone is already jailbroken and will assume that you are just rebooting. Unfortunately, the usual remedy is to restore and jailbreak, but your phone cannot be restored to anything but 3.1.3 which will cause you to lose your ability to jailbreak. The only other thing I can think of is to try running redsn0w. Be sure to select the option to install Cydia this time!

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
Blackra1n detects if your phone is already jailbroken and will assume that you are just rebooting. Unfortunately, the usual remedy is to restore and jailbreak, but your phone cannot be restored to anything but 3.1.3 which will cause you to lose your ability to jailbreak. The only other thing I can think of is to try running redsn0w. Be sure to select the option to install Cydia this time!

wow. that hadnt even crossed my mind. i was gonna say he could get the blackra1n iphone application from a website, and put it on via an application such as phoneview or phone explorer on a mac.

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
wow. that hadnt even crossed my mind. i was gonna say he could get the blackra1n iphone application from a website, and put it on via an application such as phoneview or phone explorer on a mac.

Not sure I'm following you here. Do you mean simply copying the blackra1n app into the apps folder, or some such place, of the iPhone using an app like phone explorer and, then, just running br when it magically shows up on your screen? Such an approach, while logical at face value and clearly appealing, seems incredible upon a little reflection. Tho if it worked I wouldn't complain...

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
yes thats what i meant. and it would work 100%. get the blackra1n app off someone elses phone or ipod. place it in / > applications, name it as Blackra1n.app. Reboot the phone and itll be on the springboard. working fully funtionally just as it should.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
yes thats what i meant. and it would work 100%. get the blackra1n app off someone elses phone or ipod. place it in / > applications, name it as Blackra1n.app. Reboot the phone and itll be on the springboard. working fully funtionally just as it should.

Do you know for certain that blackra1n doesn't rely on files or packages stored outside of the Applications folder? If not, you cannot say that it "would work 100%."

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
Do you know for certain that blackra1n doesn't rely on files or packages stored outside of the Applications folder? If not, you cannot say that it "would work 100%."

ill my ipod touch is jailbroken with redsn0w. later today ill try to copy the blackra1n app from my iphone, and try to put it on my ipod. if it works then it does work 100%, if not, whatever. you already gave him his answer, i just posted what i was gonna say before i saw your post.

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
ill my ipod touch is jailbroken with redsn0w. later today ill try to copy the blackra1n app from my iphone, and try to put it on my ipod. if it works then it does work 100%, if not, whatever. you already gave him his answer, i just posted what i was gonna say before i saw your post.

Junk, I admire your creative thinking, but I got a feeling it ain't that simple. If it is, I'll drink a peppermint tea, maybe even a beer, in your honor.:)

On reflection, BR definitely depends on an iPhone being JB'en -- have found that out repeatedly. Seems like a stretch to assume that simply copying a file into the device would circumvent or actually perform the jailbreaking process. Just thinkin'.

If that imaginative technique DOES somehow work out for you, could you send me the blackra1n ipi (or whatever) file? I could give you my e-mail in a pm. 3.1.3 destroyed my BR, and I don't know anyone else here in Japan using it. Anyway, plan to play with Explorer this weekend.

Good luck!

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
ill my ipod touch is jailbroken with redsn0w. later today ill try to copy the blackra1n app from my iphone, and try to put it on my ipod. if it works then it does work 100%, if not, whatever.

What ?!?
So if it works on your ipod then it will work 100% of the time? for 100% of people? on 100% of iDevice's?
Even if it works on your ipod you still cannot state it will work 100% of the time.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
pcs are junk's theory shouldn't work as the blackra1n jailbreak does NOT give you root access till you have added afc2add (which requires cydia), best option is to use redsn0w and tick install cydia and already jailbroken

sandy596

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010

WOW!!! this is the perfect answer..Thanks a lot!!!!
I uninstalled blackrain by mistake and now used redsn0w, it installed cydia on my iphone and then i added blackra1n.com in source and i got blacksn0w under packages. And, by just clicking on blacksn0w icon, it unlocked my phone. :D:D:D:D

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
Because he was banned shortly thereafter for knowingly posting bad information and providing links to trojans? Believe me, the kid was not only clueless but malicious.

he was still on here a few weeks ago in the trouble shooting section. and I also remember someone saying he has a different name and somehow they linked him to a website. I didnt know he was banned though. he is a real idiot if you ask me!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.