Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoEagle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I am looking for a copy of either Windows 7 or Windows XP to put on a Mac. I keep seeing the words 'OEM' and 'System Builder's Edition' popping up in my search results. What do these phrases mean? Are these illegal copies of the operating system? Would these work for what I am trying to do?

Thanks in advance!! :D

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Nope, all you need to know is that they are legal. They're 'meant' for people that build computers, but anyone can buy them and use them. The only real caveat is that you can only ever install it on one computer, however, Microsoft will generally renew the key for another use if you explain the situation.

Put it this way; with the billions Microsoft lose to software piracy, they'll be happy you're even contemplating buying a real copy. :)

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Just to further add to the above, the OEM versions do not include tech support from Microsoft as those versions are meant for system builders (who would give the user tech support).

Another difference is that the Windows 7 Retail version comes with both 32 and 64 bit media as opposed to the OEM where you pick one or the other when you buy it (I'm not sure if an OEM 32-bit key works on a 64-bit version and vice versa... in case you are able to 'acquire' the media for the other version after you buy it).

As mentioned above, OEM copies are supposed to be tied to the original machine they are installed on, but Microsoft will usually let you activate it on different hardware (or completely different computers).

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Further reading:

Is it OK to use OEM Windows on your own PC? Don't ask Microsoft http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1561

Licensing for Hobbyists http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=563841

Since you are using the software outside the license, the legality of your purchase and use is questionable. Although what Microsoft could and would do about it is unclear.

Ultimately it's a personal decision, much like running OS X on non-Apple hardware (a.k.a. Hackintosh) which is a similar case of running software outside its license.

Note that since MS doesn't actually check for upgrade eligibility in any way with retail upgrade licenses, you may actually end up with a more flexible install violating the license that way instead.

B

amon91

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
I'm pretty sure anyone on this forum won't really need tech support so an OEM version would be fine (and a good way to save some cash).

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'm pretty sure anyone on this forum won't really need tech support so an OEM version would be fine (and a good way to save some cash).

You'd be surprised by the large number of folks who seem to use this forum as tech support when they clearly don't know what they are doing.

Like the folks who use XP SP1 discs or recovery media and wonder why it isn't working. :rolleyes:

B

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007

I'm in no way implying that the OP would require MS tech support but based on some of the posts I see on this forum, I wouldn't agree with your statement :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.