Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satointl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Can anyone help me? I open Keychain Access, and pick one and click Show password, it comes out as "Access to this item is restricted". Any solutions?:confused:

I tried fixing permissions but a no go. I'm running 10.5.8

xXxS1lv3rxXx

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
Can anyone help me? I open Keychain Access, and pick one and click Show password, it comes out as "Access to this item is restricted". Any solutions?:confused:

Are you logged in under the administrative account?

I saw someone who had permissions screwed up or something so badly the Apple Genius referred then to the Snow Leopard Development Team :eek:.

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France

Have you bought in the keychain from another computer? Has ownership of the keychain changed (i.e. different account short name)

Did you change the permissions from what they originally were?

satointl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
I didn't transfer them from a different computer, and I clicked repair disk permissions. Don't know what you mean by originally though

satointl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Here:

total 112
drwxr-xr-x 7 yugosato staff 238 Feb 15 00:51 .
drwx------+ 55 yugosato staff 1870 Jan 17 23:30 ..
0: group:everyone deny delete
-rw-r--r--@ 1 yugosato staff 6148 Feb 15 00:22 .DS_Store
-r--r--r--@ 1 yugosato staff 0 Dec 8 18:32 .fl62323D2F
-r--r--r-- 1 yugosato staff 0 Dec 9 16:47 .flA6A9AF81
-rw-r--r-- 1 yugosato staff 20460 Dec 9 16:47 Microsoft_Intermediate_Certificates
-rw-r--r-- 1 yugosato staff 25240 Jul 15 2017 login.keychain

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
Here:

total 112
drwxr-xr-x 7 yugosato staff 238 Feb 15 00:51 .
drwx------+ 55 yugosato staff 1870 Jan 17 23:30 ..
0: group:everyone deny delete
-rw-r--r--@ 1 yugosato staff 6148 Feb 15 00:22 .DS_Store
-r--r--r--@ 1 yugosato staff 0 Dec 8 18:32 .fl62323D2F
-r--r--r-- 1 yugosato staff 0 Dec 9 16:47 .flA6A9AF81
-rw-r--r-- 1 yugosato staff 20460 Dec 9 16:47 Microsoft_Intermediate_Certificates
-rw-r--r-- 1 yugosato staff 25240 Jul 15 2017 login.keychain

Well that part looks absolutely consistent with what I have, staff is userspace permissions I believe, whereas admin is a system-wide group.

If you go into yugosato/Library/Preferences, try dragging out com.apple.keychainaccess.plist and relaunching.

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
I had that problem a few days ago. The computer crashed so I had to do a hard reboot and the date was reset to Jan 1 2008. After I set the correct date and rebooted I was able to access the Keychain.

The date of login.keychain seem to be July 15 2017 so I think you need to set the date of that file, I think doing sudo touch login.keychain would be enough.

satointl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Well that part looks absolutely consistent with what I have, staff is userspace permissions I believe, whereas admin is a system-wide group.

If you go into yugosato/Library/Preferences, try dragging out com.apple.keychainaccess.plist and relaunching.

I did that, and now I have 2 keychains that say login. Now what?

satointl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
I had that problem a few days ago. The computer crashed so I had to do a hard reboot and the date was reset to Jan 1 2008. After I set the correct date and rebooted I was able to access the Keychain.

The date of login.keychain seem to be July 15 2017 so I think you need to set the date of that file, I think doing sudo touch login.keychain would be enough.

How do I do a hard reset?

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
How do I do a hard reset?

Hold the power button for 5 seconds. No need to do that unless the computer is unresponsive (you can't open or quit apps).

I think this problem happens because the date of the login.keychain file is in the future compared to the computer clock. You should be able to reset the date by writing "sudo touch login.keychain" in the terminal. When asked for a password enter the password for your account. You may need to reboot after using this command.

satointl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, it prompted me for a password. Uh, I read it but truly I know nothing about Terminal :p

EDIT: Should I do the single-user mode?

Anyone?

bump

satointl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Okay guys this is really weird. I tried the single-user mode that the link a couple posts above mentioned, and fixed permissions, and tried "sudo touch keychain.login". D_A, help.

nwbt77

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
For anyone finding this now.

The solution is to reset the time and date manually.

This is why all the programs such as keychain 'behave erratically'.

OS sometimes does this on start up. :)

mr.latenight

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
Perfect Fix!

For anyone finding this now.

The solution is to reset the time and date manually.

This is why all the programs such as keychain 'behave erratically'.

OS sometimes does this on start up. :)

Worked perfect for me! Spent all night fixing permissions, rebuilding lookup tabels, etc. Never would have thought to reset date manually...
Thanks

10smom

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
USA
Time and Date?

Geez it is amazing what causes some of these problems. It is like finding a needle in the hay stack. I changed time and date that was incorrect. I will let you know if it did not work.

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
I was encountering this issue. I ran the touch command and restarted and everything is working normally again. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.