Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyzardking

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Are you just getting the local computer info information? How long have you been running the widget?

Yes, local info only

Folding at home's website statistics go down for about an hour every three hours. So if it doesn't update give it some time. You'll see that there's a retry timer that set for 5 minutes and the regular time is 90 minutes.

Ran all night, local info only.

Does it look for a link locally (for FaH's info)?

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Yes, local info only

It gets your user name and team number from the folding@home client. You can verify that it has the correct user name and team number on the back and change it if necessary. If it is correct and it continues to fail you may want to check your firewall or if you have little snitch, you may want to check that.

The actual address it uses is the same for all clients. The only difference is the user name and team number. If the above fails you may want to remove it completely and open a new one to see if that fixes the problem.

Also if you PM me your user name and team number I can check here to see if there are any issues.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Yes, local info only

lyzardking... I found a bug in the widget with certain user names that have unusual characters in them. If this is the case with you, let me know. I believe I have fixed the error, but I want to be sure.

by unusual characters I mean charaters like . / _ etc. I found one script that didn't escape them properly. I have an update if you're interested otherwise you can wait for 1.0.1 when I upload it.

Here's a link to the bug fix: http://sites.google.com/site/pgwalsh/f-h-wudget

lyzardking

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
lyzardking... I found a bug in the widget with certain user names that have unusual characters in them. If this is the case with you, let me know. I believe I have fixed the error, but I want to be sure.

by unusual characters I mean charaters like . / _ etc. I found one script that didn't escape them properly. I have an update if you're interested otherwise you can wait for 1.0.1 when I upload it.

Here's a link to the bug fix: http://sites.google.com/site/pgwalsh/f-h-wudget

This one works (at least at work), I'll try it out tonight at home

thanx :)

Any plans for showing more than one work unit?

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
This one works (at least at work), I'll try it out tonight at home

thanx :)

Any plans for showing more than one work unit?

What do you mean by more than one work unit? Do you have multiple folding clients running on one machine?

If you have multiple folding clients on one machine then, no. I originally supported this, but was asked discourage from doing so by Folding@home. They didn't wan that with the new SMP clients.

I do have written code for it and could put it back in, but it requires you two open more than one instance of the widget.

lyzardking

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Multiple Folding clients

What do you mean by more than one work unit? Do you have multiple folding clients running on one machine?

If you have multiple folding clients on one machine then, no. I originally supported this, but was asked discourage from doing so by Folding@home. They didn't wan that with the new SMP clients.

I do have written code for it and could put it back in, but it requires you two open more than one instance of the widget.

I have 2 units running at the same time (only on dual quad core machines), I wouldn't try it on anything less.

Anything else that I have currently folding runs one unit (per machine).

No need to give me "special" code, I was just asking.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I have 2 units running at the same time (only on dual quad core machines), I wouldn't try it on anything less.

Cool... The original one has it built in. You just run two instances. Doesn't matter to me personally, but I thought it was cool.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand

I just realized that I left most of the code in, so you could open another instance of the widget and it should display process of your second client. The only thing it wont do properly is monitor if your core is active, stalled or failed. I haven't build that in, but you will see progress etc.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
F@H WUdget 1.1.5

Ah there's a new version with some added features and bug fixes.

Version 1.1.5:
This version has a few new features and bug fixes.

New Features:
  • Team Score
  • Team Work Units
Enhancements:
  • Commas Added to large numbers
  • Changed Spacing between +/- & points.
  • Changed Total Score and WU field positions
Bug Fixes:
  • Removed a broken and redundant team check. User name and team should not error is properly set.
  • Now saves preferences for all remote fields
  • Fixed user rank change amount display

Let me know if you run into any problems. ;)

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Keeps getting better!

Thanks!

If there are no issues with this version, I probably wont add anything new for a while. But I do have ideas for a future release. Mostly to do with remote computers. Just have to get over some hurdles. ;)

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Project Canceled

Project Has Changed.
Unfortunately I have to change the project until I can find a third party that will allow me to access their Stats. Vijay Pande has asked me not to access the pages directly and I will obviously comply. I urge you to PLEASE remove your widget until we can find an alternative solution. If you do not remove the widget your IP address may get banned by Folding@HOme.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

*Note: All download have been removed from this site.

You can download a local only client from here: http://sites.google.com/site/pgwalsh/f-h-wudget

I'll post it on Apple.com and MacUpdate soon.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Could you give more details? How much load the widget could really generate...

Anyway, on the old version the local info is broken with SMP2 units...

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Could you give more details? How much load the widget could really generate...

Anyway, on the old version the local info is broken with SMP2 units...

How old is your version? SMP2 cores are still in testing, but I should have an update that should work with them.

It's not the load they are concerned about, but more accessing cgi pages with a script, even if it just downloads a page and doesn't crawl.

Extreme Overclocking has allowed us to use their stats and I'm working on an update. There will be changes with some new stuff and some things going away.

ETA 1/2 weeks

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
I thought I had the latest version... SMP2 was broken but not on all units. It would be nice to include the bonus calculation in the PPD...

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
How old is your version? SMP2 cores are still in testing, but I should have an update that should work with them.

It's not the load they are concerned about, but more accessing cgi pages with a script, even if it just downloads a page and doesn't crawl.

Extreme Overclocking has allowed us to use their stats and I'm working on an update. There will be changes with some new stuff and some things going away.

ETA 1/2 weeks

Thank you for doing this, we'll see what you have for us in a few days :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.