Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
AUSTIN, Texas – A software engineer furious with the Internal Revenue Service plowed his small plane into an office building housing nearly 200 federal tax employees on Thursday, officials said, setting off a raging fire that sent workers fleeing as thick plumes of black smoke poured into the air.

A U.S. law official identified the pilot as Joseph Stack — whose home was set on fire just before the crash — and said investigators were looking at an anti-government message on the Web linked to him. The Web site outlines problems with the IRS and says violence "is the only answer."

Federal law enforcement officials have said they were investigating whether the pilot, who is presumed to have died in the crash, slammed into the Austin building on purpose in an effort to blow up IRS offices. All the officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.

"Violence not only is the answer, it is the only answer," the long note on Stack's Web site reads, citing past problems with the tax-collecting agency.

"I saw it written once that the definition of insanity is repeating the same process over and over and expecting the outcome to suddenly be different. I am finally ready to stop this insanity. Well, Mr. Big Brother IRS man, let's try something different; take my pound of flesh and sleep well," the note, dated Thursday, reads.

At least one person who worked in the building was unaccounted for and two people were hospitalized, said Austin Fire Department Division Chief Dawn Clopton. She did not have any information about the pilot. About 190 IRS employees work in the building, and IRS spokesman Richard C. Sanford the agency was trying to account for all of its workers.

After the plane crashed into the building, flames shot out, windows exploded and workers scrambled to safety. Thick smoke billowed out of the second and third stories hours later as fire crews battled the blaze.

"It felt like a bomb blew off," said Peggy Walker, an IRS revenue officer who was sitting at her desk in the building when the plane crashed. "The ceiling caved in and windows blew in. We got up and ran."

Andrew Jacobson was on the second floor when he heard a "big whoomp" and then a second explosion. He also thought a bomb exploded.

"When I went to look out the window I saw wreckage, wheels and everything. That's when I realized it was a plane," said Jacobson, whose bloody hands were bandaged.

Jacobson, also an IRS revenue officer, said about six people couldn't use the stairwell because of smoke and debris. He found metal bar to bust a window so the group could crawl out on a concrete ledge where they were rescued by the firefighters.

Earlier Thursday about five miles from the crash site, Stack's $232,000 home was engulfed in flames. Two law enforcement officials said Stack had apparently set fire to his home before the crash.

Full Story

This is sad and scary. People with no hope and lots of anger are capable of anything.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I dont know I lived so close to an IRS building, why do I have to mail my tax form then? I should just walk there and hand them my forms. lol

The guys is unhappy for sure, for a guy with a nice house, an airplane.... he dislike the bailout of detroit, bank, airlines, he dislike health insurance system and complains that congress is not doing anything about it.

angry, angry, angry for sure.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
This is sad and scary. People with no hope and lots of anger are capable of anything.

And mentally ill. The rant he left behind was not just of a hopeless, angry man. Would that he could have gotten help. I feel for his family and hope he is the only one he took out during his breakdown.

P.S. this wasn't terrorism.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

terrorism |ˈterəˌrizəm|
noun
the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Sounds like it is to me. Domestic terrorism, but terrorism nonetheless.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
The problem is, terrorism is one of those loaded words that is thrown around too often these days. Based on a reading of this guy's (and let's call it what it was) suicide note, he was disorganized, unfocused...not sane. If he snapped and shot up his place of employment one would not call it terrorism. But because it was a government building we have to apply the terrorism label. This was the last act of a deranged man...not an attempt to change the world.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
The problem is, terrorism is one of those loaded words that is thrown around too often these days. Based on a reading of this guy's (and let's call it what it was) suicide note, he was disorganized, unfocused...not sane. If he snapped and shot up his place of employment one would not call it terrorism. But because it was a government building we have to apply the terrorism label. This was the last act of a deranged man...not an attempt to change the world.

I'll agree with you. But many terrorist acts are committed under similar circumstances. Out of anger, fear, and hopelessness. That was my point.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Sad, so very sad. I used to work in the building immediately adjacent to that building, but our company has moved 2 times since then.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Agreed. Mass media has co opted the word to mean "An act perpetrated by a person or group of people with negative impact that we can use for political purposes", when in fact the misrepresentation of events by media outlets is far closer to psychological terrorism than the events themselves.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
terrorism |ˈterəˌrizəm|
noun
the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Sounds like it is to me. Domestic terrorism, but terrorism nonetheless.
Modern definition of terrorism:

terrorism |ˈterəˌrizəm|
noun
the use of violence and intimidation by a muslim individual (preferably of Arab descent) and in the pursuit of political aims.

If this guy was Muslim, this event would be quickly labeled as terrorism, and the debates on Islam being a violent religion would ensue.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
take my pound of flesh...

So how am I supposed to interpret this little statement. Does this mean this guy reads Shakespeare? Pound of flesh. Does this mean the IRS are a bunch of money-grubbing Jews? I guess this sort of fits in with the conspiracy nutters who think the Jews are to blame for 911 and stuff. :confused:

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
So how am I supposed to interpret this little statement. Does this mean this guy reads Shakespeare? Pound of flesh. Does this mean the IRS are a bunch of money-grubbing Jews? I guess this sort of fits in with the conspiracy nutters who think the Jews are to blame for 911 and stuff. :confused:

not sure, i wonder if he got that term from this article. (this was posted 2 days prior to the crash) Cawinkydink

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

If his name was Mohammed Achmed Omar Abdulla it would be terrorism. Just like the Fort Hood shooting is considered by many to be a terrorist attack but when a white guy goes postal and shoots up his workplace (which is basically what Ft. Hood was, except a military base was his workplace) it's just a white guy going postal, not terrorism.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
This German website here is quoting the full "farewell message" by that man.

It is written in italics at the end of the article. FYI.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The daughter of the pilot, calls her dad a hero. Wow, I guess insanity really does run in the family.:rolleyes:

FoxNews.com said:
The daughter of a man who crashed his plane into a Texas IRS building in an attack against the government called her father a hero for his beliefs but said his actions, which killed a tax service employee, were "inappropriate."

Joe Stack's adult daughter, Samantha Bell, spoke to ABC's "Good Morning America" from her home in Norway. Asked during a phone interview broadcast Monday if she considered her father a hero, she said: "Yes. Because now maybe people will listen."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587132,00.html

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The daughter of the pilot, calls her dad a hero. Wow, I guess insanity really does run in the family.:rolleyes:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587132,00.html

Wait, so she's proud of her dad and thinks he's a hero for his anti-government and anti-tax views, and yet she lives (presumably by her own choice) in Norway which has one of the best universal healthcare systems, extensive welfare and social security benefits, and virtually free higher education.

Idiot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.