Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
This is really going to sound like a dumb ass question, but I'm brand new to Mac. I've a new iMac and cannot work out if I have the Snow Leopard or the old OSX.

I searched my Mac and online, can anyone tell me how I can find this out? Thanks :eek:

xSPRINTERx

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Leicester
This is really going to sound like a dumb ass question, but I'm brand new to Mac. I've a new iMac and cannot work out if I have the Snow Leopard or the old OSX.

I searched my Mac and online, can anyone tell me how I can find this out? Thanks :eek:

click the apple logo:apple: in the top left hand corner of the screen. then click about this mac. if you have 10.6.* then you have snow leopard.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Click the Apple logo in the top left corner and select "about this mac" look for the version number

beat me to it

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009

yes
klick on the blue apple in the top left corner of your screen and select "about this mac "
then you should see a little window popping up where you can see
which osx you got and what processor and how much ram
...if it says 10.6. then you got snow leopard
...if it says 10.5. then you got leopard
...if it says 10.4. then you got tiger
(these are the only versions that would run on a intel based mac )
and if you klick on "more info" you get all the info you can imagine about your mac

there are no such things like dump questions

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009

on the top left menu click on about this mac are something like that. it will is say 10.5 for leopard or 10.6 for snow leopard.

edit i just saw your signature if its the 21.5 it would be 10.6 snow leopard.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks for all the quick replies :) it's 10.6.2 so that confirms it. Ithink my girlfriend has 10.5 so is it worth her upgrading to snow on her MacBook air?

Adam

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
10.5 leopard is alright , but if she likes snow leo , its not expensive to upgrade to snow leopard

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
yes
klick on the blue apple in the top left corner of your screen and select "about this mac "
then you should see a little window popping up where you can see
which osx you got and what processor and how much ram
...if it says 10.6. then you got snow leopard
...if it says 10.5. then you got leopard
...if it says 10.4. then you got tiger
(these are the only versions that would run on a intel based mac )
and if you klick on "more info" you get all the info you can imagine about your mac

there are no such things like dump questions

On Leopard and Snow Leopard the Apple logo is black!

RyanTheGeneral

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
No such thing as dumb questions. Since you already got your answer you could also assume it's snow if you got it in the apple store recently. They updated all them shortly after release of snow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.