Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
On the Apple website the list OS 10.5.8 minimum system requirements for the iPad?

Planning to buy an iPad, but not if it won't "play nice" with my G5 10.4.11.

Ideas - Comments (up grade G5 depletes funds for iPad and G5 runs great)

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
On the Apple website the list OS 10.5.8 minimum system requirements for the iPad?

Planning to buy an iPad, but not if it won't "play nice" with my G5 10.4.11.

Ideas - Comments (up grade G5 depletes funds for iPad and G5 runs great)
Get any Windows netbook to sync your iPad with. If it won't sync with your 10.4.11 G5 then you should sue Apple. JMHO. Itunes runs on XP, Vista, Win7.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Get any Windows netbook to sync your iPad with. If it won't sync with your 10.4.11 G5 then you should sue Apple. JMHO. Itunes runs on XP, Vista, Win7.

Two problems with that solution: first, it's more costly than upgrading to Leopard; second, it requires a move to Windows (at least in part), which the OP might not want to do (I'm going to take a wild guess and say "not").

I won't comment on suing Apple, aside from saying it's baseless.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Two problems with that solution: first, it's more costly than upgrading to Leopard; second, it requires a move to Windows (at least in part), which the OP might not want to do.
Duh. ;) I guess if a netbook was needed then the OP might save money by just buying a netbook and skipping the iPad. If he still has his original 10.4.11 discs he might be able to install them on the netbook.

Settle down. I'm intentionally provoking here. I know no mac fanatic would believe a netbook was a better option than paying Apple for an upgrade just so he can pay them again for an ipad that will work with his current mac. I find it extremely ironic Apple supports the last three versions of Windows and NOT every 10.anything version of OS-X. I guess they know where their real sales numbers come from.

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
I find it extremely ironic Apple supports the last three versions of Windows and NOT every 10.anything version of OS-X. I guess they know where their real sales numbers come from.

Or:
- Most of their Mac users have already upgraded to their 2 most recent OS releases since their previous OS release didn't fail.
- They want to encourage their users to upgrade so that they can enjoy a better experience while they believe PC users just wouldn't want to upgrade.

I don't claim any of this is true but let's not jump to conclusions ;)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Tiger is going to need an iPad to keep all the hotties he is dating straight once he gets divorced.

Yet another great use of the iPad.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
How else would I get it? Someone have a copy laying around?

Amazon has them for >$200. I checked eBay and you can find it for much less ($120-$170 range). Make sure you're looking at the client, not server which goes for quite a bit more.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Actually, try calling Apple. I've heard of some people having luck getting Leopard from the sales line at Apple within the last few months even (though not everyone, so don't count on it).

jW

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Just hunt on ebay and find the 10.4 to 10.5 upgrade dvd. I picked one up on ebay buy it now for 50 bucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.