Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Well, despite my best efforts, I cannot figure out how to get high speed internet working in Spain, where I will be for a couple of months. I'm in a row house outside the city.

This is what I've got: Telefonica contract for ADSL, Comtrend CT-351 USB modem, drivers for XP and my crossed fingers.

So far, the finger crossing is not working, and neither is the high speed internet. Any hints from savvier folks about how to make this work? Is it even possible?

I wish I could quit working and just enjoy the Sangria, but I can't. I gotta work, and work includes checking email umpteen times a day to download giga media files. Any ideas? Help? Suggestions? Anything at all would be appreciated!

Thanks!

512ke

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks for responding. Do you mean like a physical adaptor that goes from USB to Ethernet? Is there such a thing?

Don't you need drivers to make a particular USB modem work on a Mac?

I've been spoiled by my Macs. It's been "plug and play" up 'til this point. But now the plug won't play...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
512ke said:
Thanks for responding. Do you mean like a physical adaptor that goes from USB to Ethernet? Is there such a thing?

Don't you need drivers to make a particular USB modem work on a Mac?

I've been spoiled by my Macs. It's been "plug and play" up 'til this point. But now the plug won't play...
This is a shot in the dark, but when I first signed up for DSL service (5? years ago?), I bought a separate router, so the path went modem-router-hub-mac. The modem sees the router like a Windows PC, and so it's happy. Then the router sends the signal to your mac, so your mac is happy. My DSL provider didn't "officially" support Macs, but the setup worked. Now the DSL modem goes straight to the airport extreme base station, and everything works fine -- but it's ethernet, not USB.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
have you registered you computers mac address with telefonica. i would just use a broadband router you can pickup at the local computer shop like the previous poster stated. you will need to register is mac addres to i believe. i have worked with two networks using adsl using routers so i know you can get to work a telefonica network. why don't you just call telefonica and see if they will walk you through a the install?

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Great suggestions, all. Thanks.

I called Telefonica. They have be dnsl preferido and dnsl alternativo, nombre usuario and contrasena. The modem they gave me is a USB modem.

Do you think it's worth my buying an ethernet modem or router for instance at the Corte Ingles and trying that?

How does one find one's mac address? I'll definitely give it a shot.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
512ke said:

I called Telefonica. They have be dnsl preferido and dnsl alternativo, nombre usuario and contrasena. The modem they gave me is a USB modem.

Do you think it's worth my buying an ethernet modem or router for instance at the Corte Ingles and trying that?

Having an ethernet modem will remove the possibilty of driver problems. I know I read here in the UK about some of the USB ADSL modems not doing great on OS X. I use a Netgear ADSL modem / swich. Have a mixture of equipment coming off that. Works great.

Coolvirus007

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2004
Tokyo
Before alcatel had os x drivers for its dsl modems, they instructed us to use the internet dial-up (select the usb dsl modem) using a driver called Null Modem 115200. It worked for a while.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
512ke said:

the mac address on the modem should be on the box somewhere or in some the documentation.

i personally think the ethernet modem would be the way to go because having a router also gives you a hardware firewire which is a good firewall and it comes with the router. the firewall will protect both you computers particular your xp machine from those nasty worms :)

you might find a better price and a small computer shop instead of corte ingles, i always thought they were kinda expensive but it won't hurt to look.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks, I am going to try every one of your helpful suggestions.

I'm finding I'm a real ignoramus about ADSL and other stuff. Why? Because my Macs have always been plug and play. At home in the States I have like four choices. I can pick up all my neighbors' wireless networks plus my own. Getting online with my Mac is super easy.

Here, well... I'm just looking at that USB ADSL modem w/ no Mac drivers and thinking... better try forums.macrumors.com!

Gracias! 512ke.

frenetic

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
512ke said:
Thanks, I am going to try every one of your helpful suggestions.

I'm finding I'm a real ignoramus about ADSL and other stuff. Why? Because my Macs have always been plug and play. At home in the States I have like four choices. I can pick up all my neighbors' wireless networks plus my own. Getting online with my Mac is super easy.

Here, well... I'm just looking at that USB ADSL modem w/ no Mac drivers and thinking... better try forums.macrumors.com!

Gracias! 512ke.

My experience with alcatel usb modems has been horrible. Eventually I got it to work but it remains very flakey. If you still can change I would suggest you get a modem that connects through ethernet to your mac, though it is slightly more expensive it is painless to install and works flawlessly.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Frenetic (and others),

Ok I called Telefonica. They don't know what I am talking about when I say ethernet modem. They say it's called a router. However, I brought my ethernet router with me (Nethear wireless). I think that I need a modem that goes from the phone line (ADSL) to some device. I believe that device should hook into my Mac, no?

If I buy an ethernet modem, the Telefonica guy said it won't work due to configuration problems. However, isn't it possible to go from ADSL phone line to Ethernet modem to a Mac?

Please pardon my ignorance, but the savvy people in this forum are the only ones I can ask for help right now! Telefonica seems to be saying it might not work. My experience w/ my Mac has been that ethernet always has worked.

ALT possibility: My father in law says he'll hook up an old PC to the USB ADSL modem. Then I'd have to figure out how to hook up my Mac to that.

Ay yay yay... :)

frenetic

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
Another option is that you indeed use the pc as your internet access point. I have seen in the telefonica manual that it is explained very well how to install the modem for the pc. The only problem is that I am not familiar enough with pc's to know whether you have the pc equivalent of "internet sharing".... Anybody knowledgeable enough?

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Frenetic, thank you!

I installed the driver you suggested.

My Mac now recognizes the modem (I think) but still does not connect to the internet via DSL.
Here's what it says under "Network Status":
It lists after Modem "Ethernet Adaptor (EN2)"
It says 'Ethernet Adaptor (en2) is set up to use PPPoE. The cable for Ethernet Adaptor (en2) is not plugged in."

This happens even though the USB modem is plugged into the Mac, and the phone line is plugged into the modem.

I go to system profiler.

Under USB Bus it lists "ADSL-USB MODEM"
If I lick on it, it gives a product ID, Speed ("Up to 12 MB/sec), a Serial Number (which does not correpsond to the Serial # printed ont he modem) and a Vendor ID.

The en2 choice appears in Internet Connect. If you click CONNECT, it says "Establishing Connection" until it times out. Then it says "Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again."

Any ideas? Suggestions?

My father-in-law says he'll set up the extra PC with the modem, if I can figure out how to share an internet connection with a PC.

However, it would be nice to make this work.

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions! I would be lost without these forums and advice from people who understand this stuff.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Edit: I meant to type, when I "CLICK" not when I "LICK".

:O

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
512ke said:
The en2 choice appears in Internet Connect. If you click CONNECT, it says "Establishing Connection" until it times out. Then it says "Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again."

It sounds like you just need to enter the password/username somewhere. Is there a configuration option for the modem? Usually this is done via your Web browser.

frenetic

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
What did telefonica give you? I saw in their documentation that you either get an individual ip, or an assigned ip... perhpas it is better if you ichat with me, my screenname is xxxx ... that way communication will be a bit more interactive...

[deleted screenname for privacy]

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Update: LONG LIVE THE MAC!!!!!!!!!

What happened: I did everything that was suggested here (although couldn't reach you via AIM). Downloaded drivers. USB ADLS still didn't work.

Called telefonica. There was a problem with the phone line. They came. Took one look at mac and reacted (I have to say it) like it was rife with disease. "We don't touch the macintosh," literal translation!!

They wired up my father-in-law's pc. Had problems with the drivers. Problems with previously installed modem. Problems plugging in a mouse after the PC was already on. Had to restart three times. Got it working.

They left. I plugged the modem into my mac. Instant connect. They said it wouldn't work. It did. Safari. Mail. No problema.

Thanks again for the advice! And thank the Mac...for working.

new problem: father-in-law wants to establish a shared internet connection...

frenetic

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
so basically there was a problem with the phone line... that would have been difficult to find I think... Anyway, glad you solved it. I can't help with the pc internet sharing, but it must be possible... Glad it all works now.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks again, frenetic. Your suggestions were really helpful.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
512ke said:
new problem: father-in-law wants to establish a shared internet connection...

Just turn on Internet sharing in the Sharing preference pane, make sure Share over Ethernet is selected as an option; then on the PC side, set the network settings to get IP address and DNS server address automatically.

You might want to type "ipconfig /renew" in a command prompt on the PC to ensure it grabs an IP address straight away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.