Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

askfareed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Hi,
i have seen a lot of threads on tethering from your iphone to your laptop, but i want to know the easiest way i can use my laptops internet on my iphone. As i am trying to download some things of cydia but because my carrier has really bad internet speeds it keeps getting errors. And if i download with a better internet connection it will be successful.

So can anyone tell me the easiest way to use my laptop's internet on my iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 (Blacksnow unlocked)?

Thanks.

edmartin

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
Hi,
i have seen a lot of threads on tethering from your iphone to your laptop, but i want to know the easiest way i can use my laptops internet on my iphone. As i am trying to download some things of cydia but because my carrier has really bad internet speeds it keeps getting errors. And if i download with a better internet connection it will be successful.

So can anyone tell me the easiest way to use my laptop's internet on my iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 (Blacksnow unlocked)?

Thanks.

Just go into System Preferences/Sharing and turn on Internet Sharing. Using your airport, it will turn your laptop into a wifi hotspot (just remember to set a password so it's not a free wifi hotspot for everyone). When you turn on internet sharing, you select how the input & output work (e.g. in via ethernet and out/shared via airport).

The one caveat is that it would use your airport as the wifi so you would have to be connected to the internet with a wire in order to share.

g2tegg

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
That might be a bit more difficult then. I did it using a linksys wrt54gAP. I connected the AP into the ethernet port on the computer, and used static IP's and internet connection sharing. It was some time ago and dont remember the whole procedure. But it did work and had no issues.
If want the easiest and simplest way purchase a Cradel Point Router.
http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/mbr900-our-most-affordable-3g4g-ready-mobile-broadband-n-router

Yes they arent cheap but you need to pay to play, right? If I recall correctly DLink came out with a router that had USB support. Which its advertised use was for plugging in external hard drives, printers etc. I read somewhere that with either a firmware update through DLink or possibly a hacked version would enable 3g support.

askfareed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
That might be a bit more difficult then. I did it using a linksys wrt54gAP. I connected the AP into the ethernet port on the computer, and used static IP's and internet connection sharing. It was some time ago and dont remember the whole procedure. But it did work and had no issues.
If want the easiest and simplest way purchase a Cradel Point Router.
http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/mbr900-our-most-affordable-3g4g-ready-mobile-broadband-n-router

Yes they arent cheap but you need to pay to play, right? If I recall correctly DLink came out with a router that had USB support. Which its advertised use was for plugging in external hard drives, printers etc. I read somewhere that with either a firmware update through DLink or possibly a hacked version would enable 3g support.

no way am i paying that much to do something that should be so easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.