Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
From what I understand a .wpd document is a Word Perfect format. My question is, is there a way to open it on my Mac? Microsoft Office can't from what I've tried, any suggestions would be wonderful. I have a professor post everything in this format and it's very frustrating.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
i just opened a .wpd in Word, TextEdit and my browser(firefox). Try updating Word and see if that helps.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think there are actually two different .wpd files... WordPad files and WordPerfect files. I think you can easily open WordPad files, but WordPerfect are another story -- there is no converter in Office:Mac or in TextEdit. See if this helps?

I know this has kind of been answered already, but I'd like to add a couple comments here.

The article on the Rob Cottingham web site to which the URL in the prior post points suggests AbiWord, which is an open-source word processor. While I don't object (in principle) to using AbiWord for this task, I would like to point out that my own experiences with AbiWord have been somewhat off-putting. Now, in fairness, this really has to do with the available means of porting AbiWord to Mac OS X and the Aqua environment, and isn't by any means an indictment of the programmers who wrote the thing. However, it just acts funky and flakey, not always rasterizing type correctly, getting the leading and kerning not just a little off, but just flat totally wrong, and there are also some performance and stability issues.

Not that it's 100% better, but you might want instead to try using NeoOffice, which is a Mac OS X port of OpenOffice (which, if you read the article and the follow-up responses to it, one of the posters made reference to). I believe it will (though I don't know for a fact) open WordPerfect format documents.

Ultimately, however, the best option -- short of getting the person who's giving you these WP documents to switch to something modern -- would be for them to save a copy of the document(s) in question as Rich Text Format files instead. These are far more easy to work with, and any even half-baked word processor can handle them. TextEdit natively works in this format, btw.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I do see an entry in Neo for WordPerfect. No files to test it with, though. Certainly agreed that this person needs to be migrated (with a stick if necessary) off of Wordperfect. And make sure she/he stops using eight track tapes as well. ;)

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Another possibility...

OpenOffice will also open (and save as .doc) those .wpd (a.k.a. WordPerfect) files; or, like MikeTheC stated: encourage the use of .rtf (i.e. have the WordPerfect user "Save As" and pick "Rich Text Format" as the type).

And just for the record, WordPerfect users still abound today and if you prick them, they bleed just like us.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OpenOffice will also open (and save as .doc) those .wpd (a.k.a. WordPerfect) files; or, like MikeTheC stated: encourage the use of .rtf (i.e. have the WordPerfect user "Save As" and pick "Rich Text Format" as the type).

And just for the record, WordPerfect users still abound today and if you prick them, they bleed just like us.

You're responding to a 2 1/2 year old thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.