Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voyager7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
My iPhone 3gs got a little wet about 8 weeks ago. It works fine except for random signal dropouts when 3g is on - (no issues with 3g turned off) however, there are a few water marks under the actual backlit LCD screen (not the digitiser) and the watermarks show no sign of disappearing even after 8 weeks. They take the shape of 4 diagonal thin black lines only visible when the screen is plain white. Has anyone taken a screen apart and tried cleaning marks like this off from under the lcd? I have taken other lcd screens apart before and they usually consist of some layers that look like tracing paper beneath the LCD glass sandwiched against the backlight. Most of the previous screens I have disassenbled have been held together by small metal clips, but the iphone lcd screen seems to be completely encased in a white plastic surround with no clips I can see at all.

If the layers are inacessible and therefore uncleanable, does anyone know of a cheap place to buy a new 3gs LCD?

Thanks in advance!

voyager7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Thanks for the link, but that does not appear to show the actual LCD disassembly. I can easily remove the LCD panel from the digitiser, but the water stains are within the LCD panel and is currently inaccessible to me!

Thanks

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
Thanks for the link, but that does not appear to show the actual LCD disassembly. I can easily remove the LCD panel from the digitiser, but the water stains are within the LCD panel and is currently inaccessible to me!

Thanks

just buy a new one on ebay for 30-40 bucks

voyager7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
just buy a new one on ebay for 30-40 bucks

Unfortunately, I cannot find a 3gs LCD screen for anywhere near 30-40 bucks on ebay. For some reason, the 3g ones are 30-40 dollars, but the 3GS ones are around $100, for no apparent reason! For that price, I would rather take the phone int apple, pay £139.00 and get a new one!

Mods, could you please move this to the iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting.

Someone must have taken the LCD panel apart!!

Gadgetgeezer

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2009
You can't take them apart - don't bother. I fix iPhones and you always have to change the whole unit out. Sorry. Agree the screen prices are high (unless you have a wholesaler).

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Unfortunately, I cannot find a 3gs LCD screen for anywhere near 30-40 bucks on ebay. For some reason, the 3g ones are 30-40 dollars, but the 3GS ones are around $100, for no apparent reason! For that price, I would rather take the phone int apple, pay £139.00 and get a new one!

Mods, could you please move this to the iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting.

Someone must have taken the LCD panel apart!!

If you want the mods to move your thread you have to report it, otherwise they might not see it.

voyager7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
You can't take them apart - don't bother. I fix iPhones and you always have to change the whole unit out. Sorry. Agree the screen prices are high (unless you have a wholesaler).

Can the screen be "re-washed" in distilled water of something to get the marks off if you think it cannot be taken apart? How much can you get screens for?

Cheers!

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
the cheapest price I have found 3gs lcd's is $65 plus shipping and paypal fees from china. they will not see to you unless you are a repair shop because they want larger quantity sales. minimum shipping is usually around $40 so unless you buy in bulk you cant get a real cheap price. taking a water damaged iPhone that has been taken apart will not fly with Apple so good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.