Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mutchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
I recently got a macbook off my bro who bought it last year and i would like to restore it to factory default so i can have a clean slate for when i start uni but he lost the discs that he got with it, can anyone give me simple instructions on doing this without the discs? i would be very greatfull :) my mac has Mac 0S X version 10.5.8

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
The closest you could come to "factory" would be to create a new user account, then delete the existing one(s).

If you want to return the OS to a "clean install", you would need either the disc that came with the MacBook, or the retail Leopard discs.

Mutchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
The closest you could come to "factory" would be to create a new user account, then delete the existing one(s).

If you want to return the OS to a "clean install", you would need either the disc that came with the MacBook, or the retail Leopard discs.

Sweet thanks heaps for your help gr8tfly, :D if i try out your first suggestion will it remove all the updates i dl for the programs that came with the mac?
is it obvious that I'm a noob at computers... :confused:

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
if i try out your first suggestion will it remove all the updates i dl for the programs that came with the mac?

There are at least three ways of reinstalling OS X from the original install disks: Archive and Install, Archive and Install (Not Preserving User & Network Settings), and Erase and Install. The first two will archive your present files somewhere on your HD. The third will erase your entire HD before installing a now system.

Google "mac installation" for more details of each.

benjamin747

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
Sweet thanks heaps for your help gr8tfly, :D if i try out your first suggestion will it remove all the updates i dl for the programs that came with the mac?

No it won't remove the updates, but updates are usually
good.

http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/downloads/list

If that above does not work this almost 100% works. Don't mind the OSX86 part. This is a GUI wrapper for most terminal commands, which in some cases OSX86 machines use. I have used this on my iBook. Actually try this first!

(The worst that has ever happened is it restarting and not erasing a thing... which is not a problem!)

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N

No, it shouldn't affect application updates. Those are stored in the system folder(s). You will most likely lose your (well, the current user's) application settings and preferences, though.

benjamin747

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
Actually the software I suggested would keep your current version, but when you restart you would see the OSX start up screen. You know that cool video!

Mutchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Yay

Thanks guys for all your awesome suggestions and tips, they did help, i ended up deleting my profile and started up a new one then made it admin, but shortly after a friend lent me his snow leopard so its all good naw, if everyone in the world went out of there way to help others like you guys then the world would be a betta place :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.