Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
9 to 5 mac has a post saying that the iphone is getting ichat!! I googled and found out that another site said someone is looking deep into the sdk 3.2 and found telephony codes of ichat. Also, they found handwriting stuff, too. Maybe Steve will have a latest creation part 2. That would be cool!

http://www.9to5mac.com

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
iPhone 4th Generation likely to get Video chat - 9to5mac

9to5mac.com has had some informtion that shows some pretty good indicators in the code for video chat coming to iPhones as a feature. http://www.9to5mac.com/iphone-video-chat-340968306

From the SDK:
AcecptVIdeo
DeclineOrEndVideo
and
buttonWIdthinitforVideoChatWithFrame

Likely it'd come on an iPhone before an iPad(if it will go to the iPad (docked). Images from 9to5mac.com
videochatcode.jpg

videochaticons.jpg

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Handwriting isn't necessarily a biggy - we've known that the SDK does some of the chinese glyph(?) recognition already. Does it make sense for the iPhone? Not so much.

Reverse with video chat - whilst it's easier to see on the go video chat with the iPhone, an iPad docked would be a pretty good video chat machine. Saying that, unless they swap in a video sensor, then it ain't happening.

It's debatable that video will come for iPad vs iPhone or both. But iPhone already has one 3MPixel sensor, which is likely going to get an upgrade. Touch likel to get one too once they update again.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
that'd be sweet but can't imagine SJ letting us have something "so trivial".... ;)

I really doubt we'd get it. Especially us Americans on AT&T. That network can't handle phone calls and people expect it to handle video-chatting (which requires uploading video and downloading it at the same time very quickly without lag).

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I really doubt we'd get it. Especially us Americans on AT&T. That network can't handle phone calls and people expect it to handle video-chatting (which requires uploading video and downloading it at the same time very quickly without lag).

AT&T does Already do a video share feature. But they may well hold the feature back. It could easily work over wifi only if they wanted to. Just because AT&T has some 3g dead zones doesn't mean they'll hold it back for the rest of us - see tethering, MMS for example.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
AT&T does Already do a video share feature. But they may well hold the feature back. It could easily work over wifi only if they wanted to. Just because AT&T has some 3g dead zones doesn't mean they'll hold it back for the rest of us - see tethering, MMS for example.

Yeah but video-share doesn't upload AND download video at the same time. One user uploads and the other downloads in Video-Share.

I personally feel its too early to implement this as it would require a 2-camera device, which would add bulk to the iPhone size (seeing as how Steve is obsessed with thinness).

I mean - how sure were we when we even saw physical hardware evidence of a camera on the iPod touches? I feel lots of stuff is just in the SDK but may not be implemented anytime soon (kind of like Apple's crazy patents).

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Why does there have to be 2 cameras for video chat? Can't they just use the one on the back? You can talk on speaker, or through a mic or bluetooth or something.

Maybe I'm wrong but that sounds like it could work.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Why does there have to be 2 cameras for video chat? Can't they just use the one on the back? You can talk on speaker, or through a mic or bluetooth or something.

Are you going to hold the phone backwards and not be able to see the screen? Defeats the purpose of video chat.

koopa35

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
iChat Mobile.. video chat wifi only for now!

yea why would they use the one on the back? how will you ever see the other person? isnt a video chat meant to see the others face?

on subject: wifi only would be the choice for now and it will be cool to have front facing camera for photos. also wasnt there a news story on apple making an im app? 2+2 to me says iChat mobile.

it could work like this: on wifi the front camera will be enabled for video chat and also iChat im.. on 3g and edge the front camera only works as a front camera for snapping photos. but the im part will still work as intended. imaging having an iChat im name for iphone users to text for free with iphone and macs. just like bbm but a stronger point because we can text mac people also...

thats how i say it going to work if introduced

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

LMAO! I think its time for you to go back to bed, or drink some coffee.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I think everyone is getting excited for no reason. I doubt that video chat is going to come to the iPhone. It's there for the iPad in the future. People forget that there are two devices that now drive the OS, not one.

koopa35

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I think everyone is getting excited for no reason. I doubt that video chat is going to come to the iPhone. It's there for the iPad in the future. People forget that there are two devices that now drive the OS, not one.

while this is true whats to stop them from using in the iphone b4 they use in the ipad. again it dont have to b4 video chat. and as you said it could be 4 future use. but i do think ichat at least in instant messaging form will be on next iphone with a front facing camera for at least self photos.

I can see them not activation video until next year. but all the pieces will be there sooner rather than later

edit: if apple isnt working on iChat for the ip os I dont see why it would be in sdk this early in the game. If people are so sure of this and apple was sure of this apple wouldnt have proof in the current sdk and im sure as well as 4.0 sdk. If it was coming say next year theyd put in sdk 5.0

edit 2: the im app that im referring to had a story written about it on 9 to 5 mac and was pulled about 5 min later.. If I can find it ill add to this post

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
while this is true whats to stop them from using in the iphone b4 they use in the ipad. again it dont have to b4 video chat. and as you said it could be 4 future use. but i do think ichat at least in instant messaging form will be on next iphone with a front facing camera for at least self photos.

I can see them not activation video until next year. but all the pieces will be there sooner rather than later

They won't make iChat. Sure, they can let the IM apps on but I think that there would be a lot of push-back from the carriers to prevent an IM app that's from Apple show up because it could usurp SMS usage.

I don't see Apple putting a front-facing camera just for self-portraits. That's pandering to a market that doesn't need pandering.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Personally I have no use for video chat. My girlfriend lives in the same town as me.

And so do my mistresses.

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY

You're absolutely right! All you need is to point a mirror to your iPhone's screen and video chat that way. :rolleyes:

koopa35

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
They won't make iChat. Sure, they can let the IM apps on but I think that there would be a lot of push-back from the carriers to prevent an IM app that's from Apple show up because it could usurp SMS usage.

I don't see Apple putting a front-facing camera just for self-portraits. That's pandering to a market that doesn't need pandering.

I doubt that... whats will be difference from all other IM apps? why dont they usurp sms usage? But fine if the carriers would be scared apple can simply make it like bbm but for iphones and also access to people on macs also.

the camera Ill say is 50/50 now

iChat will be on future idevices in some form. and as me and you have been talking about. I say in march when they intro os 4.0 we will see an iChat app..

we can wager a gentleman's bet

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-21 at 10.12.55 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-02-21 at 10.12.55 AM.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 350

QEII Student IT

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Peel, Isle of Man
Video Chat was invented long before built-in webcams were a standard. Most PCs today still don't have them. The lack of a USB 2.0 port and an SD Card port have both been made up for in the form of adaptors, couldn't Apple make a add-on camera?

koopa35

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
5,4,3,2,cue a trillion posts with useless hopefuls awaiting the iPad's ever so elusive camera being announced before its released...

not happening...get over it

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
5,4,3,2,cue a trillion posts with useless hopefuls awaiting the iPad's ever so elusive camera being announced before its released...

not happening...get over it

Nothing to get over. I just won't buy one because of it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.