Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cam42

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
My school is switching to Windows after this year (grumble), and is getting rid of some old iMac machines, some are G3, some G4s, and a couple previous generation Intel machines.
I've been looking at getting a G4 for the longest time, (aren't they cool?) and now that my school's getting rid of theirs.....
Few questions:
  1. How would this work as a secondary computer for word processing/DVD watching?
  2. I've been reading the mac mini into iMac G4 thread, but have all but given up hope on being able to mod Intel guts into one, has there been any progress on this?
  3. What would be a reasonable price for one of these? I think they're 17"
  4. Would I be better off getting one of the Intel machines? As stated, I just want to watch movies, and do some basic office work (Word processing, presentations, etc)

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
My school is switching to Windows after this year (grumble), and is getting rid of some old iMac machines, some are G3, some G4s, and a couple previous generation Intel machines.
I've been looking at getting a G4 for the longest time, (aren't they cool?) and now that my school's getting rid of theirs.....
Few questions:
  1. How would this work as a secondary computer for word processing/DVD watching?
  2. I've been reading the mac mini into iMac G4 thread, but have all but given up hope on being able to mod Intel guts into one, has there been any progress on this?
  3. What would be a reasonable price for one of these? I think they're 17"
  4. Would I be better off getting one of the Intel machines? As stated, I just want to watch movies, and do some basic office work (Word processing, presentations, etc)

I really like the ole G4 iMacs. I used to have a nice 1.25ghz 17" with a superdrive. It worked great for dvd!!! Only problem is was that flash was slow on it so it would have a hard time with youtube.

If you were to get one make sure you get the last generation one with a 1.25ghz. Also you may find a rare 20" version!

A good 1.25 17" will be +or- $200

On the intel side are they imacs or mini's?

Cam42

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Flash performance isn't an issue, this won't be connected to the internets.
All of the machines are iMacs, not a mini to be found.
I've remembered the 20" machines now, looking on craigslist now.
Thanks for your response!

Cam42

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Okay, there isn't anything decent on craigslist, no 20s, and nothing more than 800MHz.
And the Intel machines, I know they're pretty recent, but what price could I get one of the previous generation Intel iMacs for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.