Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
Oh my God!
My brothers 17 inch 1 gig powerbook fell today and the screen is broke. I can still see an image but its totally broke. Actually he was fooling about with a some toycar or wather and he accidentally threw it "in the screen". And yes he is older than 10 years.
What to do? Could someone give me a number how much it will cost to repair, replace the screen.
My brother is going nuts about this. He was the most maniac about cleaning and not touching the screen of his laptop…and now its gone.

I know this is going to be expensive but how much? Otherwise he will have to get an ibook if the screen is more than 1400 euros. But it can't be that expensive, can it?

This sucks :(

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Did a fat kid with a vest named "Nelson" jump out and yell "ha ha?"

How expensive is it going to be? Very. That's as close as I can get. The screen is probably the single most expensive item on that computer.

Somebody learned a very expensive lesson.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
belair said:
I know this is going to be expensive but how much? Otherwise he will have to get an ibook if the screen is more than 1400 euros. But it can't be that expensive, can it?

This sucks :(

sorry... :(

i think it could be *that* expensive. the best bet is to sell it as a desktop replacement - i.e. using it exclusively with ext. monitor - and use money that to buy another laptop... :(

good luck.

zakee00

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2004
wow, really sorry :( if you have applecare, would that cover the cost of the screen?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Sorry man. Screens are extremely expensive. Many times they almost equal or surpass the cost of the laptop. You could follow the advice to sell it as a desktop replacement, but you won't get nearly the price you paid for it. Next time look into getting a warranty that covers accidental damage. Expensive at the time of purchase, but well worth it if this ever happens again.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
zakee00 said:
wow, really sorry :( if you have applecare, would that cover the cost of the screen?
AppleCare is great but it does not cover abuse or accidental damage. If the screen had stopped working (ie not got smashed) then AppleCare would cover it. AppleCare is worth the money for laptops, but it unfortunately still doesn't cover everything.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
you're going to have to contact Apple, but I'm going to guess it will cost atleast 800 Euros to replace.

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
thanks for the quick response guys

This is unbelievable.
I did know that the screen was expensive, and georgeous, as hell but did not know that it was that bad. When I am going to tell him he is gonna go mad.
I guess the cheapest thing would be to buy an old 17 incher screen with a keyboard and use the laptop as a desktop. That would still be less than 1000 euros.

A hell of a lot of money for just being able to use the laptop.

An expensive lesson indeed. :(

Do I have to pay attention to the screen actually leaking or getting even worse now. What do you suggest? Turn it off and shut it and never open it again?

Muzukun

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I know this is mean but...

was your brother DRUNK or something when he did this? To be protective of the screen then throw something 'into' it seems... well flat out odd...

other then that really sorry that it's well... next to useless right now, have you gotten any clues as to how much repairing the monitor will cost though?

for the others, what does that 300+ dollar apple care thing cover anyways?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Muzukun said:

applecare is a warranty, not insurance. it covers defects - things breaking on their own because there were manufacturing problems with it - not things breaking due to external forces, like accidents or abuses.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Muzukun said:

Defects. Things that are Apple's fault.

There was a thread a couple weeks ago about Stupidity Insurance. Do a search for it. Apparently you can get your computer covered for any and all damage for something like $50 a year. It's a frightening idea to me, but people insist it's for real.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I found what you have been looking for: PB Parts. Thats in American, so it would be less than 997 euros, but you would have to install it yourself.

Muzukun

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Horrortaxi said:
Defects. Things that are Apple's fault.

There was a thread a couple weeks ago about Stupidity Insurance. Do a search for it. Apparently you can get your computer covered for any and all damage for something like $50 a year. It's a frightening idea to me, but people insist it's for real.

is the applecare worth it then?

the 50 a year thing seems sweet :)

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
This is why i don't own expensive things

Thats what happens when you buy apple, or anything expensive. When it breaks down for whatever reason, it costs a fortune to repair, unless you are rich to begin with, then you just learned an expensive lesson - don't own expensive things.

belair

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
Thanks for the help

jimsowden said:
I found what you have been looking for: PB Parts. Thats in American, so it would be less than 997 euros, but you would have to install it yourself.

Thanks for the link. Now I know the price of the screen itself. It is bloody expensive and I know it will be even more expensive to have it done by a pro. I am so reluctant to calling my apple service dealer tomorrow. I am expecting the worst here.

I am definaetly not a pro, so I don't know if I will venture into installing it myself. What would be cool would be to take off the screen and mount the laptop on a mount like the playstation II put a screen on the side with a keyboard and you have the slimest desktop ever!!

Well, we will see tomorrow. Keepin you posted on what they will charge.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
That is horrible thing to hear, I hope you get it fixed at not too much cost, its such a waste to have a 17" PB with a smashed up screen.

I'm glad I have accidental damage cover on my PB, I would recommend it to everyone, it really isn't very expensive.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
other trick is try to get it fix under warrenty but that can be kind of tricky. Just never admint how it fully happened. It a very questionble tacket but it sometimes work. I know people frown apond it but it works. The cost of the repair proble out ways the cost of the computer. Condiering that the apple 17 inch is at 600 or more. Laptop monitior will easly cost more than that to replace and they are kind of costum monited to the computer. That is providing it is LCD. if it is a plasma screen it will cost even more.

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
Do your parents have house contents insurance? It's worth checking to see if it's covered. Good Luck. I know what it's like to be totally neurotic about looking after something and then one stupid mistake and... (don't ask). :eek:

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Timelessblur said:
other trick is try to get it fix under warrenty but that can be kind of tricky. Just never admint how it fully happened. It a very questionble tacket but it works
Duff-Man says....that may work for *some* things, for instance a small spill that you've covered up nicely (they even watch for those more now than they used to...), but will very rarely work for a smashed lcd screen as it is very obvious that it is from dropping the laptop or something similar that is not covered by warranty/Applecare....oh yeah!

Muzukun

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Sabbath said:
That is horrible thing to hear, I hope you get it fixed at not too much cost, its such a waste to have a 17" PB with a smashed up screen.

I'm glad I have accidental damage cover on my PB, I would recommend it to everyone, it really isn't very expensive.

how much does that cost?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Timelessblur said:
Just never admint how it fully happened.
You are never, ever--not in a thousand years--going to bulls**t your way out of a busted LCD. If you're slick you may be able to get away with murder, but a busted LCD...there's just no way..."yes, hello...applecare? I seem to have some dead pixels. That's right, dead pixels--and jagged too."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.