Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
I am having a bit of a problem with my Macbook Pro. Last night, I was watching a movie and then put the computer to sleep with my apple remote. Later, I tried waking it up, but nothing would work so after 5 minutes of this I decided to restart it.

Now, when I turn it on, I get the chime, can hear fans, but the display will not turn on. Also, the sleep light is on as well.

I have tried removing the battery, power source, and a PMU reset.

Any ideas?

Its a Macbook Pro Santa Rosa (first gen), latest version of leopard, and the most current firmware

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
Well, I guess we can mark this as solved. I just got off the phone with Apple support and it looks like I am out of luck... said it is a hardware issue and it will have to be repaired. Since I'm out of the country I won't have a computer for about a month.

davidblake3070

macrumors newbie
display problems? FIXED IT!!

I was having this exact problem with my macbook pro and so I called Apple support, and the guy I spoke to told me to unplug my computer and remove the battery. He told me to make EVERYTHING was unplugged from the computer, and with the battery removed, press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds (1 mississippi 2 mississippi etc)
After I did that, I put the battery in and plugged the charger back in, and hit the power button, and it came right on! PROBLEM SOLVED!! :)

djwobble

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I was having this exact problem with my macbook pro and so I called Apple support, and the guy I spoke to told me to unplug my computer and remove the battery. He told me to make EVERYTHING was unplugged from the computer, and with the battery removed, press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds (1 mississippi 2 mississippi etc)
After I did that, I put the battery in and plugged the charger back in, and hit the power button, and it came right on! PROBLEM SOLVED!! :)

Not to go back to a dead post but has anyone else had this issue? I'm having the same issue with on my of MBPs...

I called Apple, did the whole reset thing... no love. I even connected the laptop as an external hard drive and deleted the "sleep image file.."

Any other suggestions? Cost of replacing video card through Apple? Not in warranty - i already know that.

Xnz

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
I think this may be our problem, as i'm having the exact same issue.

i did some research and found this
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

sounds like our winner, ill be taking mine into an apple store tomorrow and find out if im correct.

more info: (source:http://abrahamneben.com/blog/2009/06/macbook-pro-screen-wont-turn-on.html)

I hadn't had any problems with my September 2007 MacBook Pro until, after trying to awake it from sleep two days ago, the screen wouldn't turn on. It remained black. The light in front of the computer did turn on, but the Apple logo light on the top did not. I could, however, hear the computer operating while I tried time after time to get the screen to activate by holding the power button down to restart.

Eventually, I took it to the Apple Store, where a Mac Genius plugged in a DVI external monitor, and, seeing no input from my machine, concluded it was a graphics card problem. He took it to the back of the store to run some tests. The tests apparently failed, which meant that the Nvidia graphics card, specifically its logic board, was at fault.

According to Apple, this is a known problem which Nvidia has acknowledged and it affects MacBook Pro computers manufactured between May 2007 and September 2008.

Under AppleCare, the logic board will be replaced at no charge within 5 to 7 days. For $99, you can buy ProCare to move your repair to the head of the list to get it done in 1 to 3 days.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I think this may be our problem, as i'm having the exact same issue.

i did some research and found this

sounds like our winner, ill be taking mine into an apple store tomorrow and find out if im correct.

more info: (source:http://abrahamneben.com/blog/2009/06/macbook-pro-screen-wont-turn-on.html)

I hadn't had any problems with my September 2007 MacBook Pro until, after trying to awake it from sleep two days ago, the screen wouldn't turn on. It remained black. The light in front of the computer did turn on, but the Apple logo light on the top did not. I could, however, hear the computer operating while I tried time after time to get the screen to activate by holding the power button down to restart.

Eventually, I took it to the Apple Store, where a Mac Genius plugged in a DVI external monitor, and, seeing no input from my machine, concluded it was a graphics card problem. He took it to the back of the store to run some tests. The tests apparently failed, which meant that the Nvidia graphics card, specifically its logic board, was at fault.

According to Apple, this is a known problem which Nvidia has acknowledged and it affects MacBook Pro computers manufactured between May 2007 and September 2008.

Under AppleCare, the logic board will be replaced at no charge within 5 to 7 days. For $99, you can buy ProCare to move your repair to the head of the list to get it done in 1 to 3 days.

If you're in warranty does ProCare even do anything? I've found sending it out will get it done in 4 days including shipping both ways

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
Hi Guys,

I am curious to know how many of you have observed the following specific symptoms on a 15" or 17" MBP with the nVidia 8600M GT card.

When the power button is pressed, the following occurs:

No boot chime;
No video (internal or external);
No caps lock light;
Sleep LED comes on and stays on;
Sleep LED dims/goes out when the speaker grilles (ALS) are covered and comes back on when uncovered;
Unable to reset PRAM or really do much else;

This set of symptoms can be permanent or intermittent. They will not run Apple's test, as they do not boot far enough to run it and therefore they are not covered by Apple without a fight.

If you have these exact symptoms (Covering the speakers is the giveaway), email your serial number to 8600mgt@googlemail.com

Hydrostatic

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm having this same problem with a qualifying MacBook Pro. Aside from the display issue, the computer works fine, able to transfer files over the network, heck, I can even use Quicksilver keystrokes to log into iChat even though the display is black!

I immediately took it to the Apple store, where, after fiddling with it a bit, the guy at the genius bar tells me it won't boot and he can't run the Nvidia graphics test - sure enough, it doesn't boot. The guy said the motherboard probably bit the dust, and he couldn't even put it into target disk mode.

I decide to bring it back home, and the MBP boots no problem and works fine - display is still black. And by "works fine" I mean I can use keystrokes to play music in iTunes, but the guy at the genius bar couldn't even turn it on.

So which is the bigger problem, the fact that the display doesn't work, or the guy at the Apple store?

hundert

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm having this same problem with a qualifying MacBook Pro. Aside from the display issue, the computer works fine, able to transfer files over the network, heck, I can even use Quicksilver keystrokes to log into iChat even though the display is black!

I immediately took it to the Apple store, where, after fiddling with it a bit, the guy at the genius bar tells me it won't boot and he can't run the Nvidia graphics test - sure enough, it doesn't boot. The guy said the motherboard probably bit the dust, and he couldn't even put it into target disk mode.

I decide to bring it back home, and the MBP boots no problem and works fine - display is still black. And by "works fine" I mean I can use keystrokes to play music in iTunes, but the guy at the genius bar couldn't even turn it on.

So which is the bigger problem, the fact that the display doesn't work, or the guy at the Apple store?

Print the page from the link, go to Apple store or apple certified service provider. CALL APPLE before you do that. apple will give you a number which you will bring with you.

IVE DONE IT YESTERDAY!!! They told me they will call me in 5-7 business days and tell me, if it is nvidia problem, if it is, they replace for free. I AM TWO YEARS OUT OF WARRANTY ALREADY! So they do it anyways.

here was my thread, if it helps
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/853556/

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Print the page from the link, go to Apple store or apple certified service provider. CALL APPLE before you do that. apple will give you a number which you will bring with you.

IVE DONE IT YESTERDAY!!! They told me they will call me in 5-7 business days and tell me, if it is nvidia problem, if it is, they replace for free. I AM TWO YEARS OUT OF WARRANTY ALREADY! So they do it anyways.

Well it's been announced about a year ago(maybe more) that the mbp's with the 8600gt had had their logic board warranties extended to 3 years by apple. So you're within the warranty, technically.

Hydrostatic

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010

Good advice, I actually just got off the phone with Apple and was instructed to return to the Apple Store, even if I had to walk in there with it open and on so they could run the test.

Hundert and others, I would be glad to hear how this turns out for you guys. Personally, I'm an Apple fanatic, this is my family's 10th Mac, but I explained to Apple over the phone that whether or not the repair is free, whether or not its the Nvidia chips, the fact that this problem is happening to people not once, but TWICE or more, is astonishing. I explained that it's highly evident that this free repair only replaces the broken part - with another broken part! If that wasn't true, then the problem would not be happening to people twice. I'm trying to look on the bright side, but after the 3 year mark, when these logic boards are still crapping out, I suspect this may get quite ugly for Apple.

Even after I get it back, I hate to say that I nor anyone else has any reason to feel safe about keeping live work on what is basically a ticking time-bomb.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
I was pointed here from another member after I posted having problems with my 13" MBP displaying a black screen after waking up. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card and my MBP was bought in June of 2009.

Is my computer still covered under warranty thru Apple? If Apple wants the laptop to repair it for a while I may just used the Best Buy warranty because I bought the additional $399/3yr. warranty.

borisadmin

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2006
I was pointed here from another member after I posted having problems with my 13" MBP displaying a black screen after waking up. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card and my MBP was bought in June of 2009.

Is my computer still covered under warranty thru Apple? If Apple wants the laptop to repair it for a while I may just used the Best Buy warranty because I bought the additional $399/3yr. warranty.

Just a note to say I am having the same problem with a 13" MBP bought a few days ago. Yours should be covered under warranty (1 year). Annoying as I bought a new machine precisely because of problems with my old one! Any experiences from others with this issue appreciated.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Hi Guys,

I am curious to know how many of you have observed the following specific symptoms on a 15" or 17" MBP with the nVidia 8600M GT card.

No boot chime;
No caps lock light;
Sleep LED dims/goes out when the speaker grilles (ALS) are covered and comes back on when uncovered;

This set of symptoms can be permanent or intermittent. They will not run Apple's test, as they do not boot far enough to run it and therefore they are not covered by Apple without a fight.

If you have these exact symptoms (Covering the speakers is the giveaway), email your serial number to 8600mgt@googlemail.com

Exactly the symptoms you described here happened to my MBP this evening. It wont turn on now and it just sits there with the sleep light permanently on. Even the grill test you describe is the same. I have a model with the 8600 GT Nvidia chip. I have Applecare so I will see what happens at the Apple Store next week when I take it in.

*Update*

Took my MBP into the Applestore and the problem was confirmed as a failed Nvidia 8600M GT chip, although they couldn't run the test in the store in my case. The genius bar was very helpful and they fixed the notebook in an impressive 4 days and got it back to my house by delivery courier.

Unfortunately as we all know I just have another 8600 GT GPU in my computer which no doubt will fail again... :(

midatlantian

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
Exactly the symptoms you described here happened to my MBP this evening. It wont turn on now and it just sits there with the sleep light permanently on. Even the grill test you describe is the same. I have a model with the 8600 GT Nvidia chip. I have Applecare so I will see what happens at the Apple Store next week when I take it in.

*Update*

Took my MBP into the Applestore and the problem was confirmed as a failed Nvidia 8600M GT chip, although they couldn't run the test in the store in my case. The genius bar was very helpful and they fixed the notebook in an impressive 4 days and got it back to my house by delivery courier.

Unfortunately as we all know I just have another 8600 GT GPU in my computer which no doubt will fail again... :(

kdum8, I am also having the exact symptoms waragainstsleep described.

Your case is the only one I have found where Apple has fixed the problem under the 8600M GT program with these symptoms. It seems most report their macbook pro is actually booting and running, just no display. My computer is not making it to a 'running' state, so I am not sure what tests can be run.

How did apple distinguish your problem as with the GPU instead of any other failure of the logic board?

I am of course hopeful that my issue is the GPU since I am in the three-year window. But I am worried I will get a apple genius that doesn't want to make that call.

I have had no display artifacts leading into this, but for the last couple of weeks I have occasionally had problems where my computer would not wake from sleep. (It opens up with the same list of symptoms I am currently experiencing) The difference in all the previous cases is that I could get the computer to start back up by holding the power button for several seconds to turn it off the pushing it again to turn it on from the 'off' state.

Any more you can say about your experience would help. Thanks

*Update*

Took my MacBook Pro into the Genius Bar today. The tech said that with my symptoms, my MacBook does not qualify for the NVIDIA GPU free logic board replacement. Since my computer would not start up/ make it past the POST, it does not qualify. If it started up, just without display, then it would have qualified. Bummer.

The repair cost is more reasonable than I was expecting. $210 flat rate repair charge plus $100 labor. The bad news is that logic boards for this model are on back order for at least two weeks. I wonder why?... I sent my S/N to the 8600mgt@googlemail.com address. Maybe.... maybe... I'll get some money back some day when Apple acknowledges the scope of this problem.

Another Update

MacBook Pro came back super-quick. 1-day repair. Very happy. ... then I noticed the the listed Symptom (I read this as 'problem') on my repair paperwork was "Graphics Processor Issue on MLB".
So, I was a bit irked once the repair charge posted that Apple's technical repair facility diagnosed my MacBook Pro's problem as a GPU failure, but I was still charged.

I saw this post , and decided to give Apple a call.

Well, I made a few phone calls to the Apple Care staff. They verified that the repair facility had confirmed the GPU had failed. (but I'm not sure how they do this) But, since my computer would not pass the power-on self-test, there was something else wrong on the motherboard.

It wasn't the easiest process, but I convinced Apple that, that it was unreasonable to say two unrelated failures happened at the same time and to hold me responsible for the repair cost. The GPU sits right next to the CPU and is connected in probably hundreds of ways to other stuff on the logic board.
Apple is refunding my money. I am reasonably happy and understanding about the whole process.

Helo2050

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
Ok I just had this problem also. I saw this thread but no one had answered it. I took it to my Apple store and they had to replace my motherboard.

I also had put mines to sleep. I woke up and opened the lid and it would not work. The front white light would come on when I pressed the button but only for a microsecond. I could hear the system turning on then the ching sound of it disconnecting. The longer I would hold down the power button the longer it would stay on.. however this would only last a few seconds. It would never start up to the chime sound. I too called apple and was told to remove the battery and all things plugged in and hold down different sets of buttons but it turned off too fast for it to work.

Like I said they told me it was the motherboard. While I was there several other people had the same problem.. it was weird. Perhaps Apple needs to look into this.

midatlantian

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
Ok I just had this problem also. I saw this thread but no one had answered it. I took it to my Apple store and they had to replace my motherboard.

I also had put mines to sleep. I woke up and opened the lid and it would not work. The front white light would come on when I pressed the button but only for a microsecond. I could hear the system turning on then the ching sound of it disconnecting. The longer I would hold down the power button the longer it would stay on.. however this would only last a few seconds. It would never start up to the chime sound. I too called apple and was told to remove the battery and all things plugged in and hold down different sets of buttons but it turned off too fast for it to work.

Like I said they told me it was the motherboard. While I was there several other people had the same problem.. it was weird. Perhaps Apple needs to look into this.

So did Apple replace your motherboard under the NVIDIA replacement program?

ChuckR

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
Canada
MacBook won't start up

I had the 'dead, but still breathing' problem and took it to the dealer. Turns out it was the NVIDIA chip set. They fixed it under warranty.

I don't understand why Apple doesn't just do a recall and fix the problem. They would be so far ahead of everyone else if they did, so why are they playing the Toyota game?

By the way. With the new chip set, my MacBook runs cooler and the fans don't come on.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

Your case is the only one I have found where Apple has fixed the problem under the 8600M GT program with these symptoms. It seems most report their macbook pro is actually booting and running, just no display. My computer is not making it to a 'running' state, so I am not sure what tests can be run.

How did apple distinguish your problem as with the GPU instead of any other failure of the logic board?

I am of course hopeful that my issue is the GPU since I am in the three-year window. But I am worried I will get a apple genius that doesn't want to make that call.

I have had no display artifacts leading into this, but for the last couple of weeks I have occasionally had problems where my computer would not wake from sleep. (It opens up with the same list of symptoms I am currently experiencing) The difference in all the previous cases is that I could get the computer to start back up by holding the power button for several seconds to turn it off the pushing it again to turn it on from the 'off' state.

Good question midatlantian. Now I think about it I am not sure how they identified it as specifically a GPU problem. I told the genius that it was most likely the 8600 GT chip and he just agreed in the store. Either way it wasn't working and I had applecare so he just sent it off to be fixed. In store the genius couldn't run the normal test as my MBP didn't boot up at all. When I got the computer back I just had a note saying that the logic board had been replaced so I don't know for certain in the end what it was on the board that failed. However given that logic boards don't usually fail that often and that this is a known problem it is most likely that mine is due to the chip failure. I have no documentation stating as such though. Glad you got your mac fixed in the end though. ;)

BoredK

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Hi Guys,

No boot chime;
No caps lock light;

I use an early '08 15" Macbook pro with that card.
Tried waking it from sleep this morning and had all but one of these exact symptoms. Shut it down and attempted to boot it up in every way I could think of. Did a bit of research, found this forum, and was ready to bring in my computer to the apple store to have them look at the GPU. However, the one thing I noticed on the list of symptoms was "no external video" and I hadn't tried turning it on with my external monitor plugged in yet. To my surprise, it booted up normally and had no issues whatsoever.

Unplugged the external and tried booting it again and everything worked normally. I've tried replicating the problem with no success so it probably means they won't do anything if I bring it in. Should I bother bringing it in for them to look at it? It feels like its just a matter of time before it fails on me.

iuzila

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008

*Update*

Took my MacBook Pro into the Genius Bar today. The tech said that with my symptoms, my MacBook does not qualify for the NVIDIA GPU free logic board replacement. Since my computer would not start up/ make it past the POST, it does not qualify. If it started up, just without display, then it would have qualified. Bummer.

The repair cost is more reasonable than I was expecting. $210 flat rate repair charge plus $100 labor. The bad news is that logic boards for this model are on back order for at least two weeks. I wonder why?... I sent my S/N to the 8600mgt@googlemail.com address. Maybe.... maybe... I'll get some money back some day when Apple acknowledges the scope of this problem.

Another Update

MacBook Pro came back super-quick. 1-day repair. Very happy. ... then I noticed the the listed Symptom (I read this as 'problem') on my repair paperwork was "Graphics Processor Issue on MLB".
So, I was a bit irked once the repair charge posted that Apple's technical repair facility diagnosed my MacBook Pro's problem as a GPU failure, but I was still charged.

I saw this post , and decided to give Apple a call.

Well, I made a few phone calls to the Apple Care staff. They verified that the repair facility had confirmed the GPU had failed. (but I'm not sure how they do this) But, since my computer would not pass the power-on self-test, there was something else wrong on the motherboard.

It wasn't the easiest process, but I convinced Apple that, that it was unreasonable to say two unrelated failures happened at the same time and to hold me responsible for the repair cost. The GPU sits right next to the CPU and is connected in probably hundreds of ways to other stuff on the logic board.
Apple is refunding my money. I am reasonably happy and understanding about the whole process.

wow my laptop had the same issues! but they didn't give me a refund because he said my computer originally wouldn't boot up, so it couldn't have been just the GPU at fault. the person i spoke to said that on the article online (regarding the nvidia issue at apple.com) states that my laptop would only qualify if my computer had booted up. :(

decarde

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
what qualifies as booting?

My computer was fine last night... used it until 1AM. The next morning before I went to school, it wouldn't turn on. It turned out the battery was dead (or something, there was one lone blinking light out of the five on the battery charge indicator).

So I plugged the laptop in to let it charge while I was at school, thinking the dead battery was the problem.

Now when I press the power button, the whirling noise comes on, but then the screen remains black. I keep expecting to hear the welcome chimes at any second, but nothing happens.

The apple on the top does not light up, however the light on the lid release does light up. Holding down the power button will "shut it down again" -- I know this because the light in the lid release will turn off.

Does this sound like the same problem? And does this count as rebooting?

-

Update: I just took my laptop in to be looked at today. The tech guy didn't even need any convincing to replace the logic board free of charge. He simply told me that it would cost nothing since Apple was aware of the issue. Hopefully that clears my problem up.

I did try covering the speakers and lo and behold, the LED turns off. So I guess it was the mac flaw described above.

To anyone who had the same symptoms as I did: Did the chip replacement solve the problem?

iuzila

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
My computer was fine last night... used it until 1AM. The next morning before I went to school, it wouldn't turn on. It turned out the battery was dead (or something, there was one lone blinking light out of the five on the battery charge indicator).

So I plugged the laptop in to let it charge while I was at school, thinking the dead battery was the problem.

Now when I press the power button, the whirling noise comes on, but then the screen remains black. I keep expecting to hear the welcome chimes at any second, but nothing happens.

The apple on the top does not light up, however the light on the lid release does light up. Holding down the power button will "shut it down again" -- I know this because the light in the lid release will turn off.

Does this sound like the same problem? And does this count as rebooting?

sounds like what happened to mine. light on the lid came on, no chime, black screen. took it in and had to pay $330 (some people have been able to get a refund tho..). the repair center replaced my logic board stating the symptom was "graphics processor issue on MLB." i got a tech specialist or whatever on the phone when my computer came back since i thought i'd be eligible for a refund, but he stated because it didn't make the chime, the computer didn't actually turn on, thus there were other issues with it besides the graphics card :confused:

BUTTTTT, 1 month later and now my computer screen flickers and now it won't even past the gray screen with the apple logo. taking it back in to the apple store tomorrow to see what they can do!

Philip holm

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
Ok so my mbp is having all these issues

Hi Guys,

No boot chime;
No caps lock light;

So whats the deal with sending the sn to that adress ? i did it but no reply.

This is the info on the Mbp:
Model Family: MacBook Pro
Display: 15"
Processor Type: 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
Model Number: A1260
Color: Aluminum

Processor Information

Speed: 2.4GHz
Manufacturer: Intel
Type: Core 2 Duo
Architecture: T8300
Codename: Penryn
Factory: China
Production Year: 2008
Production Week: 12 (March)
Production Number: 3902

As far as ive gathered from googeling my mac is from the period where this problem occured, is this something anyone can confirm ?
Ive gone thru loads of threads and im just curious to find out what you people think of this.

Cheers.

morkovka55

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
screen won't turn on after sleep

Hi everyone,

So I had the same problem about a week ago and here's what happened.
My MBP was working perfectly when one day i just shut the screen and half an hour later i flip it back open and nothing. Everything was working except for the screen. Like most of you i could even use itunes with the remote or all the other thing without the visual of course. So I panicked because i rely on the MBP like crazy and because i knew that if something was wrong with the graphics card that would mean paying a lot of money. So i searched around the net for answers and came across a thread where someone wrote that there is a bug in the graphics card of the computers manufactured between may 2007 and september 2008 which was the period when i bought mine. It also said that NVIDIA recognizes the issue and takes no charge in replacing it with new one. So i went down to the Apple Service center, equipped with all the documents to prove that my MBP falls into that category. The Apple Genius removed my battery and checked the serial and explained that my computer has a well known bug that they will fix for free because it falls into the above mentioned category and that it has all the symptoms. Obviously the serial was saying enough because i didn't even have to mention what i found online. I just got it back and wanted to let you know that if you have this issue and your computer is manufactured in that period of time you have nothing to worry about. Just take it to the nearest Apple service and they will fix it for you free of charge. The guy said it's only a matter of time before the computer develops this issue, but eventually most of them do (that is the ones between 2007 and 2008). Mine lasted for 3 years without a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.