Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I went from a 2000 Isuzu Trooper to my new Honda Civic and I love it.

Better gas mileage and lower emissions.

Attachments

• oldtrooper.jpg
    oldtrooper.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 358
  • civic.jpg
    civic.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 413

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I love the Flex's, they are awesome looking. I cant drive yet but i want a 90's range rover when i can afford insurance.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I love the Flex's, they are awesome looking. I cant drive yet but i want a 90's range rover when i can afford insurance.

Let me fix that for you:

fun173 said:
I love the Flex's, they are awesome looking. I cant drive yet but i want a 90's range rover when i can afford insurance, gas and the enormous amount of repairs and maintenance it costs to own an older Land Rover.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Let me fix that for you:
As the long-time owner of a 90s Range Rover (diesel, thank goodness) I can vouch for the expense. My comprehensive insurance, however, is a mere £230 a year, which is probably because I am 150 years old and have a 20-year No Claims Bonus...

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
hows the Flex compared to a Scion xB?

I looked at possibly getting the xB over the Flex (drove the xB first), but in all honesty there is no comparison; they are alike only in shape.

The XB is a great smaller car with a decent amount of cargo space, but the Flex is much closer to a full-size SUV (without the height). The flex is much larger, with seating capacity for 7 vs. 5. For a more direct comparison, the amount of cargo space in the xB with the back seats up is about the same as the amount of cargo space in the Flex with all three rows up. The Flex also has a 3.5L V6 vs. the xB's 2.4L I4 (and the Flex needs the bigger engine purely on size).

Interior finish on the Flex is also much different than the xB. The xB feels very economical, while the Flex, while not luxury quality (at the base model), isn't made up of so much drab plastic (I know, amazing for an American car). This same step up carries over to ride quality and ride noise. The xB rides very well, but it is still a small car on a small car frame. The Flex, on the other hand, uses it's weight very well to handle bumps with grace, and the cabin is well isolated from road and wind noise (the xB is so-so on road noise).

Overall, they are just very different cars targeted at very different age groups and uses. The price split between the two is around $10k, and I promise you, the Flex is $10k more worth of car.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA

Expensive to own. Premium gas and getting 14 miles per gallon wasn't fun, nor was the 20 gallon tank. Always filling up.

Plus the electric leveling system going out is expensive.

Buy a jeep or something else if you want an affordable SUV.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
BMW 123d Coupe

Got my über-lovely car in the summer of 09.
Brilliant little new BMW Coupe with 204 BHP. iPhone and iPod integration too!! :cool:

One pic just before I picked it up, and one in this year's snow :) (notice Apple logo..?)

Attachments

• foto.jpg
    foto.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_3042.JPG
    IMG_3042.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 493

coolwine

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
St.Paul MN
Here is my 2008 Scion tC!! First got her with 2 miles on her (tear tear), still running great and handles surprisingly well in the Minnesota snow fun.

Attachments

• album pic.jpg
    album pic.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 366

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005

Get a Discovery, a lot less problems.

Expensive to own. Premium gas and getting 14 miles per gallon wasn't fun, nor was the 20 gallon tank. Always filling up.

Plus the electric leveling system going out is expensive.

Buy a jeep or something else if you want an affordable SUV.

I can get 17 out of my Discovery if I drive with a light foot (same engine as the RRs he's looking at getting), and if I can live with a little less power I can use regular gas but the cost of filling it up with premium isn't much more than regular. The air suspension of the RRs is very problematic (hence me having a Discovery), but whatever you do don't get a Jeep. My stock Discovery vs any stock Jeep is a rather funny sight, it just slaughters Jeeps in every way.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Here is my 2008 Scion tC!! First got her with 2 miles on her (tear tear), still running great and handles surprisingly well in the Minnesota snow fun.

I had a friend that owned one of those. In the picture below not one airbag went off.... Toyota/Scion quickly settled outside of court......
By the way, my friend was completely fine, he had a small scratch that looked like a paper cut.

4381167786_878d2e7991.jpg

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
I looked at possibly getting the xB over the Flex (drove the xB first), but in all honesty there is no comparison; they are alike only in shape.

The XB is a great smaller car with a decent amount of cargo space, but the Flex is much closer to a full-size SUV (without the height). The flex is much larger, with seating capacity for 7 vs. 5. For a more direct comparison, the amount of cargo space in the xB with the back seats up is about the same as the amount of cargo space in the Flex with all three rows up. The Flex also has a 3.5L V6 vs. the xB's 2.4L I4 (and the Flex needs the bigger engine purely on size).

Interior finish on the Flex is also much different than the xB. The xB feels very economical, while the Flex, while not luxury quality (at the base model), isn't made up of so much drab plastic (I know, amazing for an American car). This same step up carries over to ride quality and ride noise. The xB rides very well, but it is still a small car on a small car frame. The Flex, on the other hand, uses it's weight very well to handle bumps with grace, and the cabin is well isolated from road and wind noise (the xB is so-so on road noise).

Overall, they are just very different cars targeted at very different age groups and uses. The price split between the two is around $10k, and I promise you, the Flex is $10k more worth of car.

nice.. I've ridden in one and didnt like it as much as I did the xB. The 4spd auto xB I drove acted as if it was a V6. Picks up and goes. I'm eyeballing the 5spd right now. A decent car under 20k looks really good right about now :)

I had a friend that owned one of these. In the picture below not one airbag went off.... Toyota/Scion quickly settled outside of court......
By the way, my friend was completely fine, he had a small scratch that looked like a paper cut.

holy ****. Did that roll? Details of accident? And what year is that?

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
My 05 tC. Originally when I bought it, it only had 4 miles on it. These pictures are after I purchased the 18" TRD wheels, and Springs. [My sig pic is also of my tC]

Attachments

• IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 354

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I despise good gas mileage and quiet, smooth drives. :eek: :D

Attachments

• IMG_3038.png
    IMG_3038.png
    998.2 KB · Views: 381

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
nice.. I've ridden in one and didnt like it as much as I did the xB. The 4spd auto xB I drove acted as if it was a V6. Picks up and goes. I'm eyeballing the 5spd right now. A decent car under 20k looks really good right about now :)

holy ****. Did that roll? Details of accident? And what year is that?
He was driving on the freeway and some idiot was in a hurry and swerving in and out of traffic and judged the space wrong and clipped his back bumper sending him sideways into a light pole. The guy sped off. I gave a detailed description of the car and the police somehow found the driver. Yes, I gave the description...I was following two cars behind. Scariest moment of my life. I helped my friend get out through the panorama roof and thats how he got scratched. Like I said above, other then being really shaken up he was fine.

It was a 2008 Scion TC

Get a Discovery, a lot less problems.

I can get 17 out of my Discovery if I drive with a light foot (same engine as the RRs he's looking at getting), and if I can live with a little less power I can use regular gas but the cost of filling it up with premium isn't much more than regular. The air suspension of the RRs is very problematic (hence me having a Discovery), but whatever you do don't get a Jeep. My stock Discovery vs any stock Jeep is a rather funny sight, it just slaughters Jeeps in every way.

I just had a co-worker with a freelander than had horrendous issues 5 years/40k in with it's ignition system.

plus routine "preventative" maintenance costs are ridiculous for any land rover.

better off getting a MB or BMW for slightly more money, and you'd end up saving in the long run. particularly since new ones have free maintenance for the first few years, and land rover resale values are poor at best (his $30k 5 year old vehicle was worth less than $8k).

personally, I'd snag up a MDX or something Honda made and be happy with a nice resale value and not being the fastest thing out there.

wowurrcool

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Picked her up in November after 2 long months waiting for her to be built:D

Attachments

• DSC01185.jpg
    DSC01185.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 413
  • DSC01196.jpg
    DSC01196.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 378
  • DSC01183.jpg
    DSC01183.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 370

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
He was driving on the freeway and some idiot was in a hurry and swerving in and out of traffic and judged the space wrong and clipped his back bumper sending him sideways into a light pole. The guy sped off. I gave a detailed description of the car and the police somehow found the driver. Yes, I gave the description...I was following two cars behind. Scariest moment of my life. I helped my friend get out through the panorama roof and thats how he got scratched. Like I said above, other then being really shaken up he was fine.

It was a 2008 Scion TC

wow, nice to hear that he is ok. I rolled a Honda Accord and it looked almost the same as the tC, minus the part of it being wrapped around a pole. Good thing they are safe cars. How did Scion/Toyota settle?

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
wow, nice to hear that he is ok. I rolled a Honda Accord and it looked almost the same as the tC, minus the part of it being wrapped around a pole. Good thing they are safe cars. How did Scion/Toyota settle?

Cant talk about the details of the settlement. Lets just say that when he got a new car it was a lot nicer than a Scion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.