Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaanuz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Hi guys,

i really need some expert help here.

I've got:
MacBook Pro (2009) - maybe switching to iMac in the future
Logic Express 9'
Evolution MK425C midi-usb-keyboard
KRK RP6 speakers

So i'm almost set, but now i need audio interface for my music making. And here's where the trouble is. I've selected out 4 options (although, don't like the Emu appearance much..LOL):

• Native Instruments Kontrol 1
• Lexicon Ionix U22
• Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
• EMU 0404

What i'd like to do: Record some vocals (1 channel is enough), maybe lil bit of guitar. In a distant future i'd also like to hook up Native Instruments Maschine or something similar to my setup. Mostly i'm into funk-triphop_house-electronica style of music, don't know if that matters....

PLEEEEEEEEAS PLEAS HELP ME!!!

ps. i almost purchased U22 yesturday caus i found a really bargain offer but then i stumbled upon some problems with snow leopard... now i found out that they have fixed it and it should work ok. Although i still have 10.5.8.

Attachments

• AuIn.jpg
    AuIn.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 140

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
The EMU has a dramatically better dynamic range than the rest of those. While that is not the end all spec, it is the device I would get.

jaanuz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Doesn't Kontrol 1 have the same parameters? I've read about emu problems with macs....

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Doesn't Kontrol 1 have the same parameters? I've read about emu problems with macs....

Out of all 4 of those, the Kontrol 1 gives the least amount of specs, which always raises a red flag for me.
And I have no idea about EMU's mac compatibility. I like m-audio's gear and have never had an issue with it.

jaanuz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Firt time to hear about Echo Audiofire... did some reasearch and it seems pretty good. Although i'm still little sceptical about mac and firewire caus it seems apple is ditching this slowly. Thanx anyways, i'm gonna look into it.

jaanuz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
stumbled upon this - dv247.com says Echo Audiofire is now longer available because it has been discontinued :( So i guess there's not much point to buy it.

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Firt time to hear about Echo Audiofire... did some reasearch and it seems pretty good. Although i'm still little sceptical about mac and firewire caus it seems apple is ditching this slowly. Thanx anyways, i'm gonna look into it.

Apple is not discontinuing firewire! Most/all Macs now come with Firewire800 port (not the older 400). So most audio interfaces that use firewire can just use an adaptor 800 to 400 cable.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Firt time to hear about Echo Audiofire... did some reasearch and it seems pretty good. Although i'm still little sceptical about mac and firewire caus it seems apple is ditching this slowly. Thanx anyways, i'm gonna look into it."

Do not, repeat DO NOT use USB if you are serious about the Mac and audio recording. Firewire is the way to go. 'Nuff said about that.

The Echo products definitely ARE available, at least the AudioFire4.

The AudioFire8 may have been recently replaced by a newer version. I got mine on ebay, works great.

Do a search (here, and on gearslutz.com) for AudioFire products. Very good reviews.

jaanuz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
Thank you for the replys, i'm cheking out this Audiofire.
The Duet is just little too expensive and One doesn't have everything i need from the interface.

I asked the same question over some music forums and they suggested also Focusrite products. Saffire 6 is more in my price range but it's usb, so... i guess it's out of the question, though it got very good reviews and comes with high class mic preamps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.