Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamaggic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
SC, thank God
recently bought a factory unlocked 3GS from Australia (works great),,, went to the Apple support page to check its warranty status and got the above message.
Does this mean the phone is refurbished? Stolen? any ideas...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
recently bought a factory unlocked 3GS from Australia (works great),,, went to the Apple support page to check its warranty status and got the above message.
Where are you located? I don't know if this is your situation, but iPhones can only be serviced in the countries they were purchased in. i.e. an US Apple Store/AppleCare can't service an Australian iPhone.

jamaggic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
SC, thank God
yes, I know that Apple will not service the phone,,, I'm just wondering what the message "replaced " means, as it was advertised in ebay "as new, slightly used"...log showed about 20 hours of total use when I got it.

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
i have a 3g that says that as well but i also have a 3gs that is a refurb but when i check warranty on that is says its still warrantied until the end of the year...

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you go to Apple's Australian site and enter the serial number there, does it return the same thing? I wonder if the serial#'s are country specific?

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Perhaps it's a phone that was turned into Apple for replacement and somehow was kept afterwards.

zac4deal

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Did you buy this from ebay australian seller?

Did you buy this from ebay australian seller? I am also in same boat. can you write me back? Is the seller name is sys solutions/Nahar?

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
This sounds like a replacement or refurb handset that has been sold to you in the box belonging to the original phone (as you probably know, Apple only switch out the phone itself, the owner keeps the original box/accessories). Normally, Apple also hand over a replacement barcode sticker for the box but maybe the seller didn't use it.
It is not necessarily a big deal -in fact, I would bet that most replacement or refurb handsets have been tested to an even better degree than an original handset!
Like others have said, try entering the serial number from the handset itself and not the one printed on the box ;)

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
You bought this from an eBay seller?

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that you're an unwilling accessory to insurance fraud.

Probably something along the lines of, the eBay seller took out insurance on their iPhone, then "reported" it to the insurance agent as stolen, so the insurance company replaced the phone. Then the insurance company automatically reported the original phone to Apple to get them to shut off the warranty. Meanwhile, to get rid of the evidence, the eBay seller sold the original phone overseas on the grey market for a tidy profit.

jamaggic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
SC, thank God
australian iphone

yes, purchased the phone from sys solutions, altho' the phone has no warranty after almost six months it is working flawlessly, JB with blackrain and no problems, luckly it was 3.1.2 so I'm backedup with Saurik....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.