Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Unfortunately, we already know how this story ends. Apple introduced the iPad in late January and made no mention of a camera - either on the front or back of the device. So that means no video conferencing or even photos are possible on the first generation device.... and yet, it seems like they had everything in place for it already. For example, the enclosure has an empty space for the camera and the SDK has accept/decline video chat references.

Here are some even more tantalizing pieces of information found in the latest Beta 3 iPad SDK. We've been told that if you go digging into Apple's private framework which controls the camera, the iPad SDK tests for 3 additional camera characteristics that are not found in the iPhone 3.x SDK. For comparison, Erica Sadun has a code listing of iPhone 3.x PLCameraController.h on her site. The Beta 3 iPad SDK version adds these additional test conditions for the device's capabilities.

211617-zoom.png

It seems Apple built in API support to test to see if your iPad had a Front Facing Camera, Zoom and a Camera Flash. The front facing camera would, of course, be used for video chat, while Zoom and Camera Flash are often requested features for the iPhone's camera.

Further investigation even reveals the following icons which clearly show an interface to accept or decline a video chat:

212108-acceptbutton_500.jpg

Given the size of these buttons, they were intended for use on the the iPad's screen rather than the iPhone. We're not sure why these features were dropped on the first version of the iPad, but we hope to see it again in future versions of the iPad or even iPhone.

Article Link: iPad SDK Support for Front Facing Camera, Camera Flash, Zoom and Video Conferencing

Neotyguy40

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
Until it has a camera built-in, then I don't think it is likely we have it this generation.

ThePShot

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
Honestly people? This IS Apple...

The only other time there has been a large gap between introduction and shipping has been the original iPhone. Apple withheld features and let them slowly trickle out closer to release to maintain/boost hype of the device.

- Glass Screen instead of Plastic
- Better battery life than first reported
- Native YouTube Application

What is keeping Apple from doing the same there here? Would you honestly be surprised if, with the announcement of the shipping date there are also new features?

- Dashboard
- Camera / Video Support

thulsmans

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
This is nice to hear, but im going to have to wait for a killer function to purchase one of these things

fangiotophia

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
More Bezel Information?

Along a similar note, tonight I found the following in the Beta 2 release:

Code:
        unsigned int avoidBezeling:1;

Perhaps they are still hiding a few cool features?

pbellamy

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
New York
Hmm I like the idea of the pad I really do but the closer we get to the launch date the less likely I am to buy one.

I hate the thought of buying this and knowing that in a later release the hardware will change so significantly.

The lack of a camera is irritating. The fact that everything is there to make it work but the necessary hardware makes me think that early adopters are going to get a machine that they will regret later.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Here's hoping...

I HOPE that they release the device with a camera etc. but I'm still thinking Apple purposely left this out for gen.2. I don't agree with it... but Apple does this at times. ex. nano 4g vs nano 5g- Apple knew before the 4g came out that they were going to put a camera in it and it COULD have come out in the 4g. Apple waited to put it in the 5g.

I was so excited at first to get an iPad. But I've waned over the past few days. I want to see what the mb air revision looks like. If they put a faster proc. and slightly bigger ssd in it- I'll probably opt for the mb air.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Hearing things like this makes me want to sit back and wait for the second revision, regardless of how much I would like to purchase an iPad.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
This may make me forgo the first gen models in lieu of a second gen model that has the camera.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
What are you guys seriously going to do with a camera on this thing?

If it's a front-facing camera.. then I understand, use it for Skype or whatnot, but a camera with flash? Are you telling me you'll be walking around with this thing and taking pictures? Then coming onto MR and complaining about the camera quality?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It's the iPod touch from last September all over again. I seriously hope they're holding out, but I have my doubts.

scrapple

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2004
apple thinks they can fool idiot shoppers into buying something twice (yes, the original ipad purchasers will buy version 2).. and they are right... so many suckers out there

Wilbah

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Amazing, but true... I really don't use the camera on my iMac all that much in reality, so I'm not sure why I feel like it's such a bummer that the iPad will be without it.

Even so, like countless others, I'd be more excited about the iPad if it had a camera.... the other funny thing is, without a phone or texting built in, the iPad as it is currently set up is not something I could see myself having to have on me constantly...so I'm really not sure even that would make a difference to me.

I'm trying hard to even imagine good practical reasons why I would want/need an iPad, and I just can't do it. The iPhone on the other hand, I salivated over for the entire 6 months from it's intro until it went on sale... I hope Apple sells as many as they can build... I'm not sure I'll be a purchaser this go around, at least not the first gen version

pbellamy

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
New York
Thinking about this I would give one of these ipads to my parents if it provided ichat or skype. It would be so cool to have something with the simplicity of the iphone with what I believe to be a killer app: Video chatting! (I live in New York they are in the UK).

Sadly that's not happening so no sale :-(

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
Waiting to buy till webcam included

I refuse to buy an iPad for myself or my family members until the built-in iSight webcam is included in it. For $500+ it should be in there, and I would have bought the best model for me and my relatives so we can communicate while we are in different parts of the country.

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY

We're not sure why these features were dropped on the first version of the iPad, but we hope to see it again in future versions of the iPad or even iPhone.

It's a Zen Profitability Thing: Design the third gen device, test for user experience, leak rumors of the design characteristics that eventually are dropped, sell the device to the same folks three times over.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
The only other time there has been a large gap between introduction and shipping has been the original iPhone. Apple withheld features and let them slowly trickle out closer to release to maintain/boost hype of the device.

- Glass Screen instead of Plastic
- Better battery life than first reported
- Native YouTube Application

What is keeping Apple from doing the same there here? Would you honestly be surprised if, with the announcement of the shipping date there are also new features?

- Dashboard
- Camera / Video Support

It certainly is possible, as you point out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.