Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phat^Trance

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
img0001vn9.jpg

i wonder if its possible to download a tweak to change the default keyboard to a T9 keyboard like the pic above. i find this way much easier to write than the default landscape keyboard.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't know of a "proper" way to do it, but under Settings if you turn on the Japanese Kana pad, you can swap it to a similar layout. Press the new globe icon in the bottom left corner, then press the ABC button to switch to Roman characters. スペース is Space and 改行 is Return. It's a bit messy but might accomplish what you're trying to do.

Hopefully there's a better way!

Edit: As mentioned below, this won't give you T9. I wasn't really thinking about the specifics when I posted this :(

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
"T9App" is an App in the Appstore that you can that. Of course I'm guessing you would have to type in the T9 app then copy and paste into the Messages/Email app.

Not to sound motherly - but try following Apple's instructions on typing (such as use the Index finger...and slowly progress to both thumbs). The reason is that it would be easier for muscle memory to memorize one layout (QWERTY).

Mademan12321

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
???

I don't get how some people are having so much trouble with the landscape keyboard. It is so easy for me to type and I have big thumbs. I tried out the droids keyboard at the mall today and found it craptacular for fast typing :mad:. Try to type slowly at first and practice during free time.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Lol:) wasn't t9 the one pictured above?
Maybe I had the wrong one in mind.

T9 was/is predictive typing. It used the same keypad as above, where you could change to "ABC" and have to hit the key either 1,2, or 3 times for the right letter. In T9, you only hit the number of the letter you wanted one time, and it would predict what you were going to type. If you wanted to type "Hello" for example, you would type "43556."

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
Of course, sometimes you have to help it out a bit...it isn't always so good at telling which word you want if you're using a combination of keys that can produce more than one word (such as "good" and "home") ;)

Phat^Trance

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
what i want is to replace the keyboard i already have, i do not want to "open a app" to just write the T9 keyboard.

well ive been using the iphone keyboard for almost 2 years now and STILL hate it, more than ever

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
wow can we get a tapedeck adapter while we are at it ?

the apple predictive typing is way faster and more accurate than T9

I can't remember how many times when trying to spell a word I would get "word not found"

tommysoo

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
YES!!! T9 please!!! I don't know why there are people who support for qwerty only input for iPhone on their grandma's lives but having the T9 input as an OPTION for others who need it is really not going to inconvenience anyone!
Anyways just let market forces do the talking: if any genius who can offer T9 input as a default keyboard on the iPhone 4, I shall most gladly pay up to US$29.90 for it!
I know for certain it can be done: BAIDU input for Chinese language has succeeded in offering that through cydia & the T9 prediction with editable chinese dictionary is phenomena!!!
there is an app named FastPad that offers T9 input but it is not a default keyboard choice & u have to copy & paste again after input so it's not a true solution...
If someone is able to come up with a tweak for T9 input as an inbuilt keyboard, pls let me know: I'll gladly invest money to buy shares as I know LOADS & HORDES of iPhone owners who'd PAY BIG MONEY for iPhone T9 input without having to copy & paste, & with editable dictionary!!
let the money do the talking!!! let's all either profit &/or benefit from this much awaited T9 tweak!!!

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
YES!!! T9 please!!! I don't know why there are people who support for qwerty only input for iPhone on their grandma's lives but having the T9 input as an OPTION for others who need it is really not going to inconvenience anyone!
Anyways just let market forces do the talking: if any genius who can offer T9 input as a default keyboard on the iPhone 4, I shall most gladly pay up to US$29.90 for it!
I know for certain it can be done: BAIDU input for Chinese language has succeeded in offering that through cydia & the T9 prediction with editable chinese dictionary is phenomena!!!
there is an app named FastPad that offers T9 input but it is not a default keyboard choice & u have to copy & paste again after input so it's not a true solution...
If someone is able to come up with a tweak for T9 input as an inbuilt keyboard, pls let me know: I'll gladly invest money to buy shares as I know LOADS & HORDES of iPhone owners who'd PAY BIG MONEY for iPhone T9 input without having to copy & paste, & with editable dictionary!!
let the money do the talking!!! let's all either profit &/or benefit from this much awaited T9 tweak!!!

An option is fine, I never learned to type T9. When I started texting I got a phone with a full keyboard right away.

Surrix

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
My mind is blown. I never thought anyone would want T9 over a QWERTY keyboard. T9 was a bandaid for dealing with the limitation of only having a number pad for text entry.

Do not understand

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I think I was faster typing with T9 than I am with QWERTY.

The main problem is when the iPhone thinks I've typed a completely different word than I actually have.

With T9, corrections were very easy because you could go back to any word and change the correction.

The iPhone doesn't offer a reliable way to solve this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.