Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankieShakes

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Hey all!

I've recently run into an odd problem with my 12" PB (Rev C) in that if the PB falls asleep at night, with the lid open and not plugged into the AC adapter, when I go to wake it up in the morning, it doesn't respond (man, this sounds oddly familiar to when I was a kid! ;) ).

I'm not sure what may be causing this... I have a USB mouse attached, an external firewire HD, as well as the Apple BT keyboard. I'm not sure if the problem can be attributed to any of these devices, but I can't seem to wake up the powerbook by hitting any keys on the keyboard or the mouse buttons.

An odd thing here is that if I plug in the AC adapter, the charging light turns from yellow to green (which I assume is normal, since the adapter is checking the battery consumption), and all of the sudden the PB will wake... ?!?

Can anyone help me in figuring out what the problem may be... I'd appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Frank

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Are you sure that the battery isn't getting all drained out during night? because once I assumed that my iBook was asleep, but it wasn't as something was getting downloaded. So in the morning, there was no response, until I pluggged the power adaptor.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
If your battery is drained your computer goes into a super sleep mode where it can only be awoken by being plugged in. The problem is most likely that. Your battery generally shouldn't drain overnight (unless it's old I guess). You might try recalibrating your battery or... buying a new one.

FrankieShakes

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I forgot to mention that the sleep light is still lit when I wake up the morning... If the PB goes into "super sleep mode", does the light remain on, or does it go off? As for the battery, it's pretty new -- I bought the PB in May.

When I connect the charger to the PB, it does turn on, and as you said, SilentPanda, it could be the battery.. The only odd thing is that the charger light doesn't remain "amber", it turns green after a second or two of being plugged in -- which would indicate full charge, right?

Are there any other activities that may cause the battery to drain overnight? I don't have any downloads running... in fact, the only apps open are usually Firefox, Finder, and sometimes iCal.

I can try re-calibrating the battery... I just hope it's not something major, and that it's something I can quickly resolve. Any other ideas on what may be causing this?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
check the battery status by pressing a little button that's on the battery itself. if it's one light (out of 5) flashing, that means battery is drained and the computer is in forced sleep mode.

the adapter light takes a bit of time to respond to indicate the correct status (green - charged, amber - charging), so that could be why it's showing something that looks different than what it should be doing...

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
The sleep mode light will be on even in super sleep mode. Although I do wish it would act differently if it was in super sleep mode.

Your battery should be okay... I'd give Apple a call if recalibrating it doesn't fix it.

frenetic

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
FrankieShakes said:
When I connect the charger to the PB, it does turn on, and as you said, SilentPanda, it could be the battery.. The only odd thing is that the charger light doesn't remain "amber", it turns green after a second or two of being plugged in -- which would indicate full charge, right?

It's normal that when your computer is sleeping and charging at the same time the light goes green when you put the powerbook on, it does so always. However, if your battery is not fully charged yet it goes orange again. I don't know exactly how long, something like 30s.

So, what we need to know: if in the morning your computer won't wake and you plug it in:

a. what charge is your battery immediately after opening?
b. if the light goes temporarily to green does it go back to orange again after a while?

Keep us informed.

FrankieShakes

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
frenetic said:
a. what charge is your battery immediately after opening?
b. if the light goes temporarily to green does it go back to orange again after a while?

Keep us informed.

frenetic,

I'll look into the first one for you... I'll try to replicate the problem again tonight.

As for "b", the light initially turns amber, and after about 2 seconds, it turns to green, and remains that way. Here's another "odd ball"... If, however, I remove the adapter (even though the light is green), the system will shut off.

Does that shed any further light?

FrankieShakes

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
SilentPanda said:
The sleep mode light will be on even in super sleep mode. Although I do wish it would act differently if it was in super sleep mode.

Your battery should be okay... I'd give Apple a call if recalibrating it doesn't fix it.

I hear ya... I wish it was a little more obvious as well.

I'll try re-calibrating the battery. I'll run it down tonight, and recharge it. Hopefully it'll solve the issue. If not, I'll contact AC as you suggested. I just wish I knew what was causing this misbehaviour.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
What OS are you running? I think with 9.1 there was an issue like this. You just had to restart your machine after powering if off using the power button. If this is a recent issue, then I don't know.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
FrankieShakes said:
frenetic,

I'll look into the first one for you... I'll try to replicate the problem again tonight.

As for "b", the light initially turns amber, and after about 2 seconds, it turns to green, and remains that way. Here's another "odd ball"... If, however, I remove the adapter (even though the light is green), the system will shut off.

Does that shed any further light?

This does shed further light. If you pull the adapter and the computer turns off, your battery is empty. You probably have something wrong with you battery, so recalibrate like others have said and then call Apple. As for why your battery drains overnight, I think there are some things that drain the battery, even while the computer sleeps. USB and Firewire devices might do this.

webmatthijs

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
United Kingdom
I have the opposite problem

hi i have the opposite problem, i cant seem to get my mac to sleep after 9:30, can anyone please help me out because this is really really anoying. i have a G4 400Mhz PowerPC with 385 MB SDRAM. any help is really apreciated.

as for the cant get the PB to sleep... i have heard about this problem before and all the people i have heard about have just brought their PB for repair. sorry :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.