Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tb2me

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Hey, all.

So I've had a love/hate relationship with my Rev A Macbook Air since summer of 08. I bought it as a secondary machine and, while I suffered many of the same issues that other folks did (constantly overheating kernals, core shutdown, etc) it never was too much trouble since it wasn't my primary. I had to have essentially the entire computer replaced this summer when it suffered the hinge issues other people have had. This new machine has been even more troublesome than the previous one, with regards to kernal_task of up to 180+%, sometimes as soon as I turn the computer on. It was shortly after I got this replacement that I started a new job where I travel for a living. Suddenly my secondary computer is my primary.

It has become intolerably bad. I had one appointment at an Apple store where they tried everything up to and including a complete clean install of the most recent OS, all to no avail. I've since been documenting the problems I've been having (Screenshots, quicktime vids) so that this coming Monday, at my next appointment in a new city, I can make a strong case that the computer is a lemon and get them to give me a new one. At this point, though, I'm tired of the Revision A machines. I don't want to chance it with another. I know there have been people who have gotten upgraded to newer models with enough complaining, but I'm having trouble finding the threads. Any advice or links to similar situations would be helpful. I don't need a shiny, top-of-the-line machine. I bought a base model Rev A and would be more than happy with a base model Rev B, so long as it can do something like browse Safari for more than 30 minutes without locking up my whole system. I'm still under my AppleCare, and I've been a good Apple customer for nearly a decade, purchasing something like 4 iMacs, 4 laptops, and close to a dozen iPods and iPhones for myself and my family. What do I need to do to get them to replace my failing machine?

daferrisda

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2006
Hi,

I've had a similar issue with my Macbook RevA. It's been back to Apple four times for Audio and hinge problems, all I can say is they would not replace the whole unit, they ended up replacing everything in side from the systems board, to the audio board and screen. In effect I've got a new Rev A Macbook but the same case.

I got the feeling they may replace the unit but only like for like. If it's under warranty still then I'd sugest you write a letter detailing all the issues you have with it and request it's replaced, as it's clearly not "Fit for purpose".

Good luck anyway

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
  • Ask for a manager.
  • Don't act like you fully understand the technology and explain it needs to "just work" as you depend on it daily.
  • Act like you truly think the Genius is a genius and you're not that smart as you just need a Mac that really works for all of the apps you have.
  • Ask for exactly what you want.
  • Explain why you need a new one versus fixing it again.
  • Make a fair argument that the repairs have been excessive and that you have spent a lot of time trying to make it usable.
  • Explain as many times as possible that you need the MBA to "just work." Apple's whole point is to make it work.
  • Don't yell or get angry.

If the previous list doesn't achieve the results you wish, send your wife, girlfriend, or mother into the store. Apple's "Geniuses" do far more for women than men. I have sent my wife in before with my problematic computer and had her walk out with a brand new one (not even refurbished), and that was after I tried talking to manager and everything myself. I told her to "flirt" with the genius. Apple really does go by the Mac should just work and for some reason they seem to feel better about giving women a new Mac for their troubles.

If none of this works, try another Apple store OR call online. Remember to tell them that you have never had these problems with other Macs, that you have bought a lot of Macs, and that you need this MBA to just work like all your prior Macs.

Good luck!

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
  • Ask for a manager.
  • Don't act like you fully understand the technology and explain it needs to "just work" as you depend on it daily.
  • Act like you truly think the Genius is a genius and you're not that smart as you just need a Mac that really works for all of the apps you have.
  • Ask for exactly what you want.
  • Explain why you need a new one versus fixing it again.
  • Make a fair argument that the repairs have been excessive and that you have spent a lot of time trying to make it usable.
  • Explain as many times as possible that you need the MBA to "just work." Apple's whole point is to make it work.
  • Don't yell or get angry.

Excellent list! This should become a sticky somewhere. Playing dumb usually helps.

If the previous list doesn't achieve the results you wish, send your wife, girlfriend, or mother into the store. Apple's "Geniuses" do far more for women than men. I have sent my wife in before with my problematic computer and had her walk out with a brand new one (not even refurbished), and that was after I tried talking to manager and everything myself. I told her to "flirt" with the genius. Apple really does go by the Mac should just work and for some reason they seem to feel better about giving women a new Mac for their troubles.

I don't think it's fair (and in fact it's sexist) but sounds plausible.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
I THINK EVERYONE WHO READS THESE FORUMS KNOW THAT MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE MACBOOK AIRS ARE REV A USERS.

In short STAY AWAY FROM REV A those who don't know what the REV A is, simple look at the GPU (Graphics) if it says INTEL then don't buy it.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I THINK EVERYONE WHO READS THESE FORUMS KNOW THAT MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE MACBOOK AIRS ARE REV A USERS.

In short STAY AWAY FROM REV A those who don't know what the REV A is, simple look at the GPU (Graphics) if it says INTEL then don't buy it.

Hey iDisk, I sure could have used your support over in another thread over the credibility and lack of performance of Intel's IGP. I have been slaughtered by Intel stock holders, contract employees, and just plain "fans" of Intel's IGP who truly believe that Intel's latest graphics are equivalent to the 15-month-old 9400m Nvidia GPU. Of course they're using an "advertisement" as a basis for their argument but they're considering it "science."

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Hey iDisk, I sure could have used your support over in another thread over the credibility and lack of performance of Intel's IGP. I have been slaughtered by Intel stock holders, contract employees, and just plain "fans" of Intel's IGP who truly believe that Intel's latest graphics are equivalent to the 15-month-old 9400m Nvidia GPU. Of course they're using an "advertisement" as a basis for their argument but they're considering it "science."

I think I know the thread your talking about, I'll be over there to bring some facts to the table also about the INHELL GPU's ;)

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada

lol....you did take a beating in that other thread....by intel employee's....

lol

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Lol I laugh everytime I see your picture lol

GOD BLESS YOU TOO SCOTTSDALE... Is everything cool with your personal situation??

I seriously pray your doing much better :)

Thanks. I appreciate it.

I have been dealing with health issues for nearly five months. I am receiving treatment away from home in a different state. The worst part is missing my children. But I see my kids daily on the computer. I really wish the iPad had a video camera and did videoconferencing. It would be a lot better than dealing with a computer.

As to Intel...

I personally don't understand why anyone would trust or believe in Intel when it comes to graphics. I do believe the only reason I ever gave the MBA another chance was because the Nvidia GPU replaced the Intel 3100. I don't think we would still be discussing the MBA as a relevant computer if it weren't for the 9400m GPU. Whether Intel could compete with a 15-month-old GPU still seems like a dumb argument - why shouldn't we want PROGRESS? I think progress is an improvement over the 9400m. It's too darn bad Intel is playing the "licensing" card with Nvidia. I don't personally care about Arrandale. The MBA doesn't need a faster CPU... the MBA needs more RAM, more drive space, and a glass trackpad. What the heck do I know anyways.

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Just want to chime in....

the Rev A to rev C can be done.

I have had this done by apple (only had to pay the difference from the comparable Rev A (to get the top of line Rev C)... came out to something like $225 or something like that.

Background :
- I ordered my Rev A SSD etc 25 seconds after the keynote.
- I had the logicboard replaced by apple once
- I have had the laptop brought in to apple / genius - complaining of (legitimate) heating issues... and crashes - necessitating forced shutdown (each time the computer was brought in... or discussed at the genius bar - I asked and made sure the genius entered the complaints and filed them - this paper trail was important for later on)
- in addition I have had a genius take the computer on 2 occasions to "evaluate it" - diagnostic test or something like that
- also, every time a crash, or overheat or application quit unexpectedly - I took a snapshot of it (and kept that in the folder)
- this last thing was key....
- when i brought it in finally to the main Apple place in SF... I purposely then reinstalled Leopard - cleaned out the system... and did all the updates.... less than a week later I had overheating and some quit applications I then :
- brought the laptop in and demanded a solution.... and asked for the manager to be made aware of the situation and get involved.
- I "acted dumb" - ...never once asking for a replacement... but stating that I was simply not satisfied with the computer - and that it was becoming unbearable to work with it (as my primary computer) - all true.
- computer was replaced... authorized by the apple store - and approved by apple.

Hope that helps.

Alf

USAF - 1

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Silicon Valley, CA
Just want to chime in....

the Rev A to rev C can be done.

I have had this done by apple (only had to pay the difference from the comparable Rev A (to get the top of line Rev C)... came out to something like $225 or something like that.

Background :
- I ordered my Rev A SSD etc 25 seconds after the keynote.
- I had the logicboard replaced by apple once
- I have had the laptop brought in to apple / genius - complaining of (legitimate) heating issues... and crashes - necessitating forced shutdown (each time the computer was brought in... or discussed at the genius bar - I asked and made sure the genius entered the complaints and filed them - this paper trail was important for later on)
- in addition I have had a genius take the computer on 2 occasions to "evaluate it" - diagnostic test or something like that
- also, every time a crash, or overheat or application quit unexpectedly - I took a snapshot of it (and kept that in the folder)
- this last thing was key....
- when i brought it in finally to the main Apple place in SF... I purposely then reinstalled Leopard - cleaned out the system... and did all the updates.... less than a week later I had overheating and some quit applications I then :
- brought the laptop in and demanded a solution.... and asked for the manager to be made aware of the situation and get involved.
- I "acted dumb" - ...never once asking for a replacement... but stating that I was simply not satisfied with the computer - and that it was becoming unbearable to work with it (as my primary computer) - all true.
- computer was replaced... authorized by the apple store - and approved by apple.

Hope that helps.

Alf

Which store in SF was this? I need to take mine in. They just did a bunch of repairs, but it it still overheating and shutting down. Did they give you a choice as to which Air you could get? I'd gladly pay the difference to upgrade to the top of the line C.

Yavanna

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
Florida
A replacement is very possible, as I got one. i purchased a Rev A refurb in April '09, had several repairs, and later developed a hinge wobble, as well as a recurrence of the original problem (battery ran down rapidly in sleep mode, among other things). In October I called and asked for Customer Relations (VERY IMPORTANT!)

I explained the situation, referring to the previous repairs, and how unsatisfactory the machine was. I expected to get another refurb to replace mine, but Apple surprised me by sending me a brand new Rev C, straight from China, at no additional cost to me. They do ask for a Credit card, so they have recourse if you don't return the original to them in 30 days.

As another poster stressed, be very polite, tell them about your long history with Apple, and loyalty to the brand.

Good luck.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
I think the biggest problem for you is going to be how long you've had the MBA. Apple replaced a couple for me, but it was withing a couple of months of purchase.

I think you could definitely get yours replaced, but in my case, the time frame helped.

PS I noticed you've had it for over a year... did you purchase AppleCare?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
What about better battery life that last a good bit longer than the 13in MBP.

I believe the current MBA battery is excellent! I wouldn't add a half pound of weight to double the battery capabilities. I also would prefer a new MBA at 2.5 lb. with same battery life as a 3 lb. MBA with double battery capabilities. I have never not had enough battery power from my MBA. I charge it when I am near a plugin. I have a power adapter for my bag, one for my couch, one for my bedroom and a built-in on the 24" ACD. When I am at client offices or giving lectures/presentations, it always lasts long enough. I also have the airline travel plugin and the International travel adaptors for when traveling. The current MBA gets three to four hours depending on how bright the display is set. Consider the battery weight required to get the MBPs to last as long as they do.

The other thing I don't want to do is give up the GPU for solely an Arrandale IGP that will lose our graphics performance to save a few minutes of battery. The graphics capabilities in the current MBA or better is far more important than adding battery power in the next MBA update.

What matters is reducing weight yet having the same battery capabilities, more RAM (most important), and more drive space is the second most important factor stated by those who don't buy the MBA. I also would LOVE a glass buttonless trackpad, and I definitely believe it will be in the next MBA wether it's the same form factor or even smaller.

I don't believe adding battery capabilities makes my top ten requirements in the next MBA.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Well the newer Intel LV cpu is suppose to have better battery life based on some of the review I have seen on the Lenovo X201 vs X200. What do you think of switchable gpu?

To the OP how long have you had the computer for?

tb2me

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
To wrap this up (long overdue!) . . .

I had an appointment a couple weeks ago that I ended up canceling because of transportation issues (I travel for work and don't have access to a car all the time). Today I am in another town with an Apple Store, so I made an appointment and went in this afternoon. I went in, showed them the computer, showed the screenshots and videos of all the different problems I've had (overheating, weird graphic card stuff, and more) and explained problems that weren't documented, as well as had them look at the history of the machine. The first genius called another, and they went in the back to talk about it with a manager. They came out and said they would replace my computer with a brand new machine of the current model. I'm happily typing this on my 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Air Rev C (or B? is there a difference between the current entry-level and the last iteration, aside from the price?). I didn't ask for a replacement or anything, just explained how unusable my computer was, explained and demonstrated the issues, and detailed my travails at the Genius Bar.

Happy day! :D

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
I'm happily typing this on my 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Air Rev C (or B? is there a difference between the current entry-level and the last iteration, aside from the price?).

Happy day indeed.

The so called Rev C models were introduced in June 2009 vs. the Rev B which were introduced in October 2008 (iirc); however, both are technically MacBookAir2,1 models if you look at System Profiler. The differences between October and June at the lower spec was a move from 1.6 GHz to 1.86GHz while both the high and low models got a slightly more capable battery, and a free USB ethernet adapter. There was also a minor clock speed bump in the graphics, too.

dextro

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
Barcelona
I actually does not matter Rev A or C

Hi I own a 2 month old 2.13 Ghz MBA and the kernel_task issue appears at least once a day and definitely it has to do with overheating (it is summer here in Chile).

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

I had an appointment a couple weeks ago that I ended up canceling because of transportation issues (I travel for work and don't have access to a car all the time). Today I am in another town with an Apple Store, so I made an appointment and went in this afternoon. I went in, showed them the computer, showed the screenshots and videos of all the different problems I've had (overheating, weird graphic card stuff, and more) and explained problems that weren't documented, as well as had them look at the history of the machine. The first genius called another, and they went in the back to talk about it with a manager. They came out and said they would replace my computer with a brand new machine of the current model. I'm happily typing this on my 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Air Rev C (or B? is there a difference between the current entry-level and the last iteration, aside from the price?). I didn't ask for a replacement or anything, just explained how unusable my computer was, explained and demonstrated the issues, and detailed my travails at the Genius Bar.

Happy day! :D

Congratulations on your resolution of the original MBA conundrum. First, your MBA has a 1.86 GHz SL9400 17W Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn CPU! It's awesome! Furthermore, it has the Nvidia GPU and chipset! It also has a SATA-II drive controller and DDR3 1066 MHz RAM! I would say you should be set for a few years!

While a lot of people here refer to rev B and rev C MBAs, the true rev C MBA is yet to be released. Both are referred to as a v 2,1 MBA. One is called October 2008 and the other June 2009. If your MBA came with a 128 GB SSD, it's a rev B MBA. If it has an HDD, it's a rev C MBA. The other additions to the rev C MBA is an Ethernet/USB plug, a tiny bump in battery capabilities (probably to achieve some Gold rating or energy efficient), and the BTO options are gone.

Best wishes with your new MBA! One great deal! Did you use anyone's advice from above? Please do tell everyone the most accurate discussion so they can know what to go forward with to get this most spectacular upgrade!

USAF - 1

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Silicon Valley, CA
I just had a ton of work done to my Rev A to attempt to fix overheating issues. They also replaced the entire display and clamshell to fix the hinges. Last night it completely overheate d(87 degrees C) and was completely unusable. I am going to try to take it in tomorrow and ask for a new one. What are the chances they will let me upgrade to the current top of the line C (of course paying any difference)? If they do let you exchange it, can you extend the applecare for 3 years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.