Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
OK, it's late at night and in the morning I am going to realise this is a really stupid question :p

I have a nice new TV with an HDMI input and a nice Macbook with Front Row. If I use a cable to convert the Macbook's DVI to HDMI, how will I get audio to the TV (given that audio would normally be on the HDMI cable)?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
You would need a TosLink adapter to go from the 3.5mm jack on the MacBook to a device which would combine the optical audio with the DVI output to HDMI.

Something like this might work: http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204port_toslink.htm

I just did a quick search on devices that might combine digital audio with HDMI. There might be something simpler out there to combine to a single HDMI cable.

If you don't have any other equipment, it might be just as easy to take a 3.5mm analog RCA cable from the MacBook to the analog RCA input jacks on the TV. Wouldn't be digital, but the TV doesn't have DD 5.1 anyway.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
If you don't have any other equipment, it might be just as easy to take a 3.5mm analog RCA cable from the MacBook to the analog RCA input jacks on the TV. Wouldn't be digital, but the TV doesn't have DD 5.1 anyway.

I think the TV assumes that audio will be coming through the HDMI cable. So the RCA audio inputs are paired with the component/composite video inputs. Composite does not look very good (and leaves a small border), and I don't think it's possible to get component video out of the Macbook (?).

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I think the TV assumes that audio will be coming through the HDMI cable. So the RCA audio inputs are paired with the component/composite video inputs. Composite does not look very good (and leaves a small border), and I don't think it's possible to get component video out of the Macbook (?).

Check in your TV's manual about the audio thing. My LCD has an RCA audio input that's shared with S-Video and HDMI. You have to go into a special menu to enable it.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Check in your TV's manual about the audio thing. My LCD has an RCA audio input that's shared with S-Video and HDMI. You have to go into a special menu to enable it.

Woohoo! There is indeed a special menu where you can tell one of the HDMI inputs to 'hijack' the analogue audio. I guess I should RTFM!

phubbard314

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
MacBook to HDTV setup

Woohoo! There is indeed a special menu where you can tell one of the HDMI inputs to 'hijack' the analogue audio. I guess I should RTFM!

I too can confirm that it is possible to hook up a MacBook to an HDTV (in this case a Pioneer Elite). I needed two cables: a mini-DVI to HDMI cable (see "PTC Mini-DVI to HDMI Adapter with 6ft HDMI Cable for Macintosh") to carry the video directly to the TV, and a 3.5mm to component (red & white jacks) "Y" cable (see "Belkin Audio Y Cable Splitter 1-Mini Plug/2-RCA Plugs (6ft)") to carry the audio directly to the TV. Note that I bypassed the A/V Receiver and went straight into the back of the TV.

In order to make this work, I had to change the settings within the setup menu of the TV itself to get the audio from an analog source (while retaining the video from the HDMI cable). Normally the HDMI cable would carry both video and audio, but there is no audio coming out of the HDMI port on the MacBook so you need a second cable coming from the MacBook's headphone jack. With decent speakers hooked up directly to the TV, this produced very acceptable stereo sound. The picture was quite good as well (maybe not HD but I was able to watch Hulu video as well as DVD movies on the 50" screen with no visible granulation).

This setup sort of obviates the need for the $100 Roku box I have (which allows you to display HD instant-download movies though Netflix). I can now simply play them on my MacBook though this new setup. The audio cable was $5 via a 3rd party vendor on Amazon (shipping included) while the video cable was $12. So using your MacBook for Netflix instant downloads is $83 cheaper than Roku.

Hope this helps. I'm very happy with all the options I now have for fully utilizing my 50" HDTV.:D Oh, and, I read the ****ing manual (RTFM) to figure this all out. You should too.

maeishoj

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
I too can confirm that it is possible to hook up a MacBook to an HDTV (in this case a Pioneer Elite). I needed two cables: a mini-DVI to HDMI cable (see "PTC Mini-DVI to HDMI Adapter with 6ft HDMI Cable for Macintosh") to carry the video directly to the TV, and a 3.5mm to component (red & white jacks) "Y" cable (see "Belkin Audio Y Cable Splitter 1-Mini Plug/2-RCA Plugs (6ft)") to carry the audio directly to the TV. Note that I bypassed the A/V Receiver and went straight into the back of the TV.

In order to make this work, I had to change the settings within the setup menu of the TV itself to get the audio from an analog source (while retaining the video from the HDMI cable). Normally the HDMI cable would carry both video and audio, but there is no audio coming out of the HDMI port on the MacBook so you need a second cable coming from the MacBook's headphone jack. With decent speakers hooked up directly to the TV, this produced very acceptable stereo sound. The picture was quite good as well (maybe not HD but I was able to watch Hulu video as well as DVD movies on the 50" screen with no visible granulation).

This setup sort of obviates the need for the $100 Roku box I have (which allows you to display HD instant-download movies though Netflix). I can now simply play them on my MacBook though this new setup. The audio cable was $5 via a 3rd party vendor on Amazon (shipping included) while the video cable was $12. So using your MacBook for Netflix instant downloads is $83 cheaper than Roku.

Hope this helps. I'm very happy with all the options I now have for fully utilizing my 50" HDTV.:D Oh, and, I read the ****ing manual (RTFM) to figure this all out. You should too.

Hey, I know its late but i try..
I have the same problem..got a new LG 42LH3000 and i connect my macbook to the tv in order to watch movies with an hdmi cable. the image is very good but I have no sound.. I bought a mini jack to RCA output but it doesnt work at the same time as the hdmi... If choose on the tv hdmi (1-2 or 3) i see only the image even if the rca cables are attched (one is red and the other black but I guess it doesnt make difference if 1 is black or white, does it?). Anyway if I connect the rca to a kind of adpater (the one of the ps2 with 3 female input, yellow-red-white) that I attach to the SCART and I choose SCART this time and not hdmi I can hear the audio. so either audio or video?? what can I do? I have 2 possibilities for putting the rca cables: I have a yellow-red-white input on the side and the same on the back, does it make difference?? please someone help me!!

ScottR

macrumors regular
May 11, 2007
Hey, I know its late but i try..
I have the same problem..got a new LG 42LH3000 and i connect my macbook to the tv in order to watch movies with an hdmi cable. the image is very good but I have no sound.. I bought a mini jack to RCA output but it doesnt work at the same time as the hdmi... If choose on the tv hdmi (1-2 or 3) i see only the image even if the rca cables are attched (one is red and the other black but I guess it doesnt make difference if 1 is black or white, does it?). Anyway if I connect the rca to a kind of adpater (the one of the ps2 with 3 female input, yellow-red-white) that I attach to the SCART and I choose SCART this time and not hdmi I can hear the audio. so either audio or video?? what can I do? I have 2 possibilities for putting the rca cables: I have a yellow-red-white input on the side and the same on the back, does it make difference?? please someone help me!!

This may fall into the category of "too obvious to help" but when I was working out my setup (with a Sharp Aquos) I found
1) only one of the two HDMI inputs worked with the RCA-in selection (by design, not defect), and
2) that I had to use a DIFFERENT RCA-in than I'd been using for years (I had an old iMac hooked up to the SVHS video input). The RCA input I had to switch to was specifically dedicated to the HDMI input.

mklnz

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
On my TV (some Sony model), there is two HDMI inputs, however the bottom HDMI (2) in has two RCA inputs beneath it to allow audio from RCA in. So I use a 3.5mm to RCA cable and then I put the input on HDMI2 and it works fine.

hypermog

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
The whole need for these adapters is ridiculous though. The Mini DisplayPort spec has support for audio. It could be a simple one-line adapter from miniDP to HDMI. Hopefully on the next round, Apple.

ScottR

macrumors regular
May 11, 2007
On my TV (some Sony model), there is two HDMI inputs, however the bottom HDMI (2) in has two RCA inputs beneath it to allow audio from RCA in. So I use a 3.5mm to RCA cable and then I put the input on HDMI2 and it works fine.

Yes, the Sharp is basically the same setup. I don't know if it's true for the Sony, but the RCA inputs are far enough below the 2nd HDMI that it isn't immediately obvious that they're related.

Meh. $50 for a Rubegoldberesque fix is still too much when you can do the same with very basic cables.

wrxlvr

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
For 5.1, is that $60 "fix" the only option. Couldn't you just run a separate optical cable for the 5.1?

wrxlvr

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
This really does just add to the "Apple Tax" doesn't it? Virtually every mid-grade, newer PC laptop has HDMI output. *sigh*

qnguye

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010

That is exactly what was recommended - to use HDMI2. It works for me.

pmcb

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
put computer speakers behind your tv? dont judge me, i'm a college student :p

zejoro

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
So I didn't read any forums before I went and bought cables. Ive got a miniwhatever to hdmi which works wonderfully on my crappy insignia. Until yesterday I was using my macbook pro audio when I finally got the toslink to toslink mini adapter. I was thinking I would just plug in the optical audio into the only available optical audio port on the tv. Well, its not working. Checked all the menus and settings. My mac likes it and adjusted its own settings. Im thinking the TV doesnt. The audio port im using on the tv says S/PDIF, which Im thinking may be output not input? Can I even use my optical audio to get the sound from the computer to play through the tv speakers?

Dozerrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Exeter
So I didn't read any forums before I went and bought cables. Ive got a miniwhatever to hdmi which works wonderfully on my crappy insignia. Until yesterday I was using my macbook pro audio when I finally got the toslink to toslink mini adapter. I was thinking I would just plug in the optical audio into the only available optical audio port on the tv. Well, its not working. Checked all the menus and settings. My mac likes it and adjusted its own settings. Im thinking the TV doesnt. The audio port im using on the tv says S/PDIF, which Im thinking may be output not input? Can I even use my optical audio to get the sound from the computer to play through the tv speakers?

I'd have thought it's probably output yeah so no dice unfortunately.

clarksonknight

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Washington, DC

Unless you have multiple TOSLink ports on your TV, it's most probably an output. Double-check your TV manual.

Rkball

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
This combo does the same thing as the all-in-one adapter but at a whopping $11.11 versus $50.00. I have this combo and it works perfectly on my 2.8 MBP.

While this may work for most HDTVs. The Panasonic TV (Panasonic viera tc-p42x1) I have does not have seperate audio option while using HDMI that I am aware of, If I am mistaken someone tell me how to get around this please. If not the $50 cable solution looks like my best option. :/

blonkz24

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
connecting imac to tv??? audio prob?????

hi is it possible to have sound coming from both my imac aswell as my tv i have a mini dvi to hdmi mirrored to project display but have no audio from tv i have read about connecting audio leads to tv and then into headphone jack on imac but surely sound from my imac will be lost is there any way to have both pllzzzzzz hellllppp!!!! thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.