Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
I was watching the Pistons game tonight and realized that almost all American professional sports teams end in the letter "s". There are 8 teams that don't end in "s", can you name them all?

Answer:

NBA:Miami Heat, Orlando Magic, Utah Jazz,

NFL:None

MLB:Chicago White Sox, Boston Red Sox.

NHL:Tampa Bay Lightning, Colorado Avalanche, Minnesota Wild.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
MLB: Red Sox, White Sox
NBA: Heat, Magic, Jazz
NHL: Lightning, Avalanche, Wild
NFL: None

I cheat! Google..........

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Also,

WNBA:
  • Phoenix Mercury
  • Detroit Shock
  • New York Liberty
  • Seattle Storm
  • Minnesota Lynx

MLS:
  • Philedelphia Soul
  • LA Galaxy
  • Columbus Crew
  • Chicago Fire
  • D.C. United
  • New England Revolution
  • Toronto FC
  • Chivas USA
  • Houston Dynamo
  • Real Salt Lake

MLL:
  • New Jersey Pride
  • Philadelphia Barrage
  • Chicago Machine
  • LA Riptide

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Stanford Cardinal
Harvard Crimson
Alabama Crimson Tide
Tulane Green Wave
Marshall Thundering Herd
North Dakota Fighting Sioux
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay Phoenix

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
MISL
Baltimore Blast
Philadelphia Kixx
Monterrey La Ra Za
Rockford Rampage
Milwaukee Wave

Others (since colleges mentioned above)
Notre Dame
Illinois
St. Johns

(Anaheim is not the team's name. It's Angels.)

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Technically, the official team name is the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, which is shortened to Angels. An argument could be made either way.

How about we call them the Anaheim Angels, considering that's where the stadium is located.

Or perhaps we could go old school and just call them the Los Angeles Angels

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I prefer the California Angels. Why did they switch from that? Dummy owners......

But yeah, their official name is the Los Angeles Angels of Aneheim.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I wonder if Utah is the only state to not have a professional team ending in 'S'.

Well some states don't have any professional teams, so I think they don't count, but you get my point. Utah has 2, and neither of them end in 's'

And if you count Arena Football, our team doesn't end in 'S' either, it's the Blaze. And when we had a WNBA team, it was the Starzz.

SLC

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Technically, the official team name is the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, which is shortened to Angels. An argument could be made either way.

Nah! The name is what fits on the jerseys. ;) We're dealing with the "nicknames" here, clearly.

I think the "official" names are something like The Chicago Cubs National League Baseball Club, for example.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Those headers say the "official web site" which has nothing to do with the legal name of the club. I can't find that info on the web site, so I fired off a question to the Cubs. We'll see if they respond.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Those headers say the "official web site" which has nothing to do with the legal name of the club. I can't find that info on the web site, so I fired off a question to the Cubs. We'll see if they respond.

1. Determine legal name of club
  2. .........
  3. 2010 World Series Champions

I think you've figured out the reason they haven't won since 1908......:D:p

Going with "legal name" is getting a little picky for a fun thread, DYT? The OP didn't ask for legal names....

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I was watching the Pistons game tonight and realized that almost all American professional sports teams end in the letter "s". There are 8 teams that don't end in "s", can you name them all?

Going with "legal name" is getting a little picky for a fun thread, DYT? The OP didn't ask for legal names....
See OP's intent above, as I noted before, it's the nicknames. (Only name mentioned was Pistons, no reference to where they're from.)

We're on a few tangents here, which I think started with you trying to claim Anaheim as part of the team's name. It's not what the OP is talking about. So I responded to another poster's use of the term "official" name, which you twisted into a header of the "official web site", so I tried to clarify the term "official" by calling it the "legal name". I can't pin it down better than that.

In conversation, the teams' names get shortened to "Pistons" "Cubs" or "Angels". That's the name ending in 's' that the OP is talking about. Some people probably don't even know that the teams have a different official, legal name than what they see shortened in the news to include only the City and nickname, but they do.

AAh cool. So St John isn't the mascot. I get it.
No, it's team names. .. They used to be the Redmen, not PC, so now it's the Red Storm.

And you didn't question Illinois?! ;) (team name identified by a subsequent post)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.