Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kobewankenobi

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
I absolutely love Windows 7 as compared to Vista. I've had it since the release (October 2009) and I've never had a virus or problem with it. I'm afraid to make the switch to Apple computers because I've been so lucky with my HP, and the price of a MBP is insane.

if your experience is great, i sincerely do not see any reason to change
i wouldnt

plaxico44

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
PA
Hey Guys, I need advice.

I am a college student in the market for a mbp 15 inch. (I am tired of waiting and I have fears they wont be released in March.) I dont know if it is in my best interest to wait for arrandale, or just go ahead and buy a c2d machine now. Would an i5 or i7 processor even beneifit me based on my needs? I will be using the computer for web browsing, email, some graphic design, itunes and ipod touch music, and word processing. Thanks in advance for your input!

kb0616

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
USA
Hey Guys, I need advice.

I am a college student in the market for a mbp 15 inch. (I am tired of waiting and I have fears they wont be released in March.) I dont know if it is in my best interest to wait for arrandale, or just go ahead and buy a c2d machine now. Would an i5 or i7 processor even beneifit me based on my needs? I will be using the computer for web browsing, email, some graphic design, itunes and ipod touch music, and word processing. Thanks in advance for your input!

I'm by no means an "expert", but IMO you will be very happy with the current MBP. A lot of folks on here say that C2D is old technology, but on the Mac platform it works very well, is fast, has good battery life and doesn't overheat the machine to where you can't stand to have it on your lap. I bought one on Sunday and so far I am very pleased with it ( I knew I would be :)). Like you, I use the mac for email, web browsing, iTunes, etc. I do not edit video or play games. Users who do all of that on a laptop and complain about speed probably need to be on a desktop machine, just my opinion. There is no way to know when Apple is going to refresh this line, we can only hope and speculate. Besides, if you get into a waiting game, that's what you'll end up doing, waiting for the next best thing. If you have the money and you need the laptop, go ahead and get it now. It is a great machine and you will not be disappointed. Hope this helped and good luck to you!

anthonybsd

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Hey Guys, I need advice.

If it weren't for the graphic design needs you could probably even get away with current white Macbook.

kobewankenobi

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
I'm by no means an "expert", but IMO you will be very happy with the current MBP. A lot of folks on here say that C2D is old technology, but on the Mac platform it works very well, is fast, has good battery life and doesn't overheat the machine to where you can't stand to have it on your lap. I bought one on Sunday and so far I am very pleased with it ( I knew I would be :)). Like you, I use the mac for email, web browsing, iTunes, etc. I do not edit video or play games. Users who do all of that on a laptop and complain about speed probably need to be on a desktop machine, just my opinion. There is no way to know when Apple is going to refresh this line, we can only hope and speculate. Besides, if you get into a waiting game, that's what you'll end up doing, waiting for the next best thing. If you have the money and you need the laptop, go ahead and get it now. It is a great machine and you will not be disappointed. Hope this helped and good luck to you!

the current mbp despite what some of the never satisfied here claim, are great computers
for what you need i think they are perfect
get the 2.8 ghz and you will be fine
of course you can splurge and get the 3 ghz if you dont wanna wait,
if i were you, i would wait for the new mbp and as soon as they come out buy the 3ghz old ones with 8gb ram at a very low price
you will save money and have a great and reliable computer for what you need
i had it but it got stolen just last month
i m waiting for the refresh and will decide if buy the new ones or the old ones super cheap
cant wait though, damn

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Umm - I've never had problems with PSU's like I've had with Macs. Three mac laptops. ALL have had their PSU's crap out. ALL have been flakey, unreliable pieces of crap...oh...and proprietary as well.

Good thing you're in the minority. Bad Apple karma perhaps?

jahman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
UK
CEBIT starts next week. Might be a good time for Apple to announce the new Macbooks I think.

Cheers,

jahman

A535

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
I've been reading the boards now for about a month reading about the possible release of the mbp's. My question as similar to one of the posters above, i plan on doing some CAD house drafting on the new computer, email, itunes, browsing,word, excel, and possibly creating some family movies.

I've considered getting the quadcore i5 27" imac or the mid level 15" mbp, both are around 2000 CAN. I like the idea of mobility (sitting on the couch and doing some drafting) currently have a 15" compaq laptop, that wont cut the mustard to do this. What are your thoughts on the current mbp, or is a laptop even the right choice, should i go with the imac.

Thanks in advance, these boards seem to have a lot of good knowledge on them.

kobewankenobi

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010

as long as you dont plan to put it on your lap since after 10 min i think it wont be possible, too hot...

it says, graphic limited
what is your use?

i still think best mbp 15 is still better than that and use osx...
yes cost more, but is is not a plastic laptop, wont burn your lap, battery will last 2 or 3 times more...
prolly slower in multitasking,
i would still go 4 the mbp

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
go big screen

I've been reading the boards now for about a month reading about the possible release of the mbp's. My question as similar to one of the posters above, i plan on doing some CAD house drafting on the new computer, email, itunes, browsing,word, excel, and possibly creating some family movies.

I've considered getting the quadcore i5 27" imac or the mid level 15" mbp, both are around 2000 CAN. I like the idea of mobility (sitting on the couch and doing some drafting) currently have a 15" compaq laptop, that wont cut the mustard to do this. What are your thoughts on the current mbp, or is a laptop even the right choice, should i go with the imac.

Thanks in advance, these boards seem to have a lot of good knowledge on them.

I think that I'd choose the 27" screen over the 15" screen for
CAD work. The quad cores would be nice too - but the screen size
would determine the choice for me.

Keep the Compaq for mobility and light stuff - you could even use
it for a remote desktop onto the Imac around the house.

(Or get the MBP plus a large LCD screen....)

FoxDavis

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
Puyallup, WA.
Why the hell do I come on here almost every hour of everyday just to see if there is any update on this rumored MBP? It's crazy! This site is running my too busy life and I have never read so many posted before in my life.....Dang this is sucky waiting for this thing!

Hope it's worth it!

anthonybsd

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
If you dock it, or use external mouse should be great deal. The only weakness I've seen with ASUS historcally has been smallish touchpads. I can actually get used to side scroll instead of two finger scroll (which I heart on all macs), but the small surface area seriously messes with finding small icons, selecting characters in programming IDEs, etc.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
went to best buy today and asked an employee about the update. he said he's waiting just like the rest of us, but that he doesn't know anything specific. he said he hopes within the next 30 days, which doesn't really tell us much. damn after using the mbp there for a few minutes i started to love it even more. the thing i hate most about notebooks is the trackpad and without a doubt apple fixed that problem for me. best trackpad i've ever used hands down.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Ok, Sooooooo... to further my post about the update coming, today I logged into my order status page and at the top it says "Action Required, please call 800-800-APPLE to speak to a rep.."

I just got off the phone with the rep and she said, my order is going to be further delayed because there's a product transition coming, but her system doesn't specify what product.. She gave me the number of my local rep to call and get more info but she's not in the office yet...

I'll post back when I hear from the local rep about what the product transition is...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
no details yet but there might be mobile parts. rumor is that the performance is only 5% better than ATI which is why Nvidia is announcing it on a friday

oldgeezers940

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
March 26 is wayyyy too far away.

But on a positive note, gives me more time to save to maybe get something nicer. The closer it gets to the back to school promotion the more tempted I'm going to be to wait even longer though... I'm sick of all this waiting.

koolrosh

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
MD
Ok, Sooooooo... to further my post about the update coming, today I logged into my order status page and at the top it says "Action Required, please call 800-800-APPLE to speak to a rep.."

I just got off the phone with the rep and she said, my order is going to be further delayed because there's a product transition coming, but her system doesn't specify what product.. She gave me the number of my local rep to call and get more info but she's not in the office yet...

I'll post back when I hear from the local rep about what the product transition is...

man i hope so

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.