Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zebrahead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Hey all,

I'm seeking help with my iPod touch.

After doing lots of reading and getting convinced that I couldn't brick my iPod touch through jailbreaking, I decided to try it.

My firmware was 3.1.2 and I had my iPod at Christmas time. (it was bought around November 09, I'm not sure which version of iPod this would make it, but it may help diagnostics.)

So I started using "blackra1n" and I figured it wasn't working properly as it was being unresponsive and after a fair amount of time still was not progressing at all.

At this point, upon turning my iPod on I'd get the "plug me into iTunes" picture, prompting me to reset my iPod.

I thought it may be better to reset my iPod, and try the jailbreak from fresh. I plugged into iTunes and went through the recovery procedure (I believe this may have also upgraded my firmware to 3.1.3), however, upon reaching the end of the restoration procedure, I got some description of error (the number 6 rings a bell) and now my iPod is completely unresponsive.

It will not turn on and despite multiple variations of home and power button pressing, I dont even get the "connect me to iTunes" picture.

When I plug my iPod into my computer, iTunes does not recognise it and if I press home+power Windows finds the iPod but doesn't recognise it - "USB Device Not Recognised".

I'm not sure what to do from here because I can't seem to even boot it into recovery mode, any help would be much appreciated.

Below is my "blackra1n" log :
Code:
INFO:  welcome to blackra1n for windows
INFO:  loaded dll at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\iTunesMobileDevice.dll
INFO:  button clicked
INFO:  internal device callback called
INFO:  callbacks registered
INFO:  sent enter recovery command
INFO:  loaded dll at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\iTunesMobileDevice.dll

Many thanks,
Zeb

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Well, I'm not exactly sure about JB stuff but a possibility could be that your iPod touch has been bricked by a poorly done JB.

Zebrahead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks for the reassurance ^^.

If anyone knows anything about it, I'd be very thankful for any info.

vikboi28

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
I had the same exact problem with my Ipod Touch 2g.

No matter what I did my Ipod was completely unresponsive. And couldn't restore it either because every time I plugged it into my computer a message popped up saying "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED."

But luckily I found this great video on youtube that will show you exactly how to fix that problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJ20Q2mBuU

Zebrahead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Thanks. I managed to fix it... I did it quite early yesterday but forgot to post here.

My current progress :

I'm now at the stage where I've figured how to recover it from whatever. I have custom firmware which I'd lick to patch but I keep getting 1601 error whenever I try to put it on my iPod.

I think despite my iPod being bought recently, as it is only 8GB I think it's 2nd Gen as all of the 2nd Gen firmwares work whereas the 3rd Gen don't.

As it stands, I'm in a cycle of try to jailbreak -> restore -> try jailbreak.....

Although my JBing is giving me no luck. I get stuck on blackra1n on "entering recovery mode", on redn0w at "connecting to server"? (I think that's what it said), and when I try to impliment my firmware I get 1601.

Zebrahead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Update :

I'm getting pretty close now. Using redsn0w, it goes through all the expected procedures but at the end, rather than booting my jailbroken iPod it just boots into recovery mode. I've read that this is only because it's tethered and if I do a tethered reboot after this occurs it will work.... But I'm finding this is not the case.

Any suggestions?

dmdoyle

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
I'd used blackra1n on 6 devices so far... Never had any problems with it. :)

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
Wow wth. Lol. I'm amazed at greygray's post lol. "poorly done job" lol. It's a click of a button...how can it get any poorer than that...

I've jailbroken my ipod as well as others at least a dozen times...you can't really mess up...esp. with blackra1n

Zebrahead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Final Update ^^ :

I got it working yesterday, I think it turns out that one of my firewalls/AV was stopping blackra1n from working....

After days and days of trying.... In the end all it took was one click :p

Thanks all :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.