Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjflury

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
New York, NY
I have an Early 2009 Mac Pro (2.66 Quad), and lately I've been noticing something strange. Once in a while, My mouse will stutter, or lag I guess. As if my computer is struggling or something. This would happen when I am doing nothing that requires heavy rescources. I have 6gb of ram. I primarily use my MacPro for audio programs like Pro Tools and Ableton, this will occur even when I am not running programs like that. As I type this, my CPU's temp is 101 degree's, I have Safari 4, iChat and Microsoft Entourage open. Is this normal?

Also - I have the Audio Update 1.0 and I am running 10.6.2.

Thanks,

Chris

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
As I type this, my CPU's temp is 101 degree's...

Your CPU is nearly dying!

What are your fan speeds?
You might have the same problem as I do. My CPUs go over 90° (core temp) without any movement of the fan speeds. They remain at their minimum.

Try a SMC reset (plug out the power cord, hold the power button for 5 seconds and switch the computer on). If that doesn't change anything, I can't help you.
It does not work with my computer, which is why I'm going to consult AppleCare soon.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I have an Early 2009 Mac Pro (2.66 Quad), and lately I've been noticing something strange. Once in a while, My mouse will stutter, or lag I guess. As if my computer is struggling or something. This would happen when I am doing nothing that requires heavy rescources. I have 6gb of ram. I primarily use my MacPro for audio programs like Pro Tools and Ableton, this will occur even when I am not running programs like that. As I type this, my CPU's temp is 101 degree's, I have Safari 4, iChat and Microsoft Entourage open. Is this normal?

Also - I have the Audio Update 1.0 and I am running 10.6.2.

Thanks,

Chris
First question, is the 101 figure Farenheit or Celsius?

cjflury

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
New York, NY
For the record, I'm speaking in ferinheight and NOT celcius. Still dying?

-Chris

I just tried unplugging my power cable, holding power for 5 seconds, then plugging back and powering up. I have Safari 4 and Microsoft Entourage on , temp reading is between 106-110 ferinheight.

My fan speeds are between 600-800rpm.

cjflury

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
New York, NY
I am using the magic mouse, on a tabletop surface. no mouse pad. I had it on a padded keyboard tray prior, and it did the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.