Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
Good god I need to stop checking this thread. I won't even have enough money to buy the new ones when they're released, yet I'm as impatient and excited as everyone else. Hopefully by the end of March I'll have 2 grand saved up and they'll be out by that time. Can't wait.

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Sorry, I was out of the office I heard back from our local field rep and she couldn't "specifically" say that's what the transition was, but she gave a wink, wink that's what it is.. she said it didn't say in her system, or maybe it does but she couldn't say which I can completely understand..

Again, she didn't have any specific dates or if she did she certainly wasn't going to tell me, and she wouldn't specify WHEN it would be shipping, she just assured me it should ship out within a week or two and that my order is still intact...

That's the best info I could get out of her and that she would divulge to me..

P.S- here's a screen shot of what it says on my status order page..

Are you an end user or a reseller? I was looking at the MBPs on the website and the delivery dates are the same, i.e. next day shipping for stock and 1-3 business days for CTO...

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Perhaps you should open your eyes (and lower your level of ignorance)

Ironically, no one, nor group of Mac/PC users would even be capable of approaching your vast depths and displays of ignorance, and extreme bias.

and look at the Dell Latitude line of business laptops.

After having worked with both the Dell Latitude E6400 and E6500, my experience denotes the following:

Small touchpad
Poor placement of audio ports
Poor placement of speakers
Poor keyboard (keys cramped together, awkward layout, flimsy)
Horrible trackpoint (interferes with typing and offers poor control)
Heavy, angular, bulky shape
Faulty lid latch (When the laptop is closed, the left section of the lid does not press firmly against the palmrest, and it is therefore prone to rattling)
Lid flexes excessively - feels flimsy overall - large gap between bezel and screen
Poor placement of screen protective padding
Noisy HDD (in a silent room)
Build quality sucks by comparison to Asus, Lenovo, and Mac.

A Macbook Pro of comparable specs offers:

A large Multi-touch pad - well designed and responsive
Better placement of audio ports and speakers
A responsive, back-lit keyboard, extremely well designed, and better key layout.
Unibody design - slimmer, lighter, sleeker, much sturdier
Magnetic latch is far superior
Relatively quieter HDD (in a silent room)
OS X - a deal maker for many

Definitely on the high side of $600 - with the build quality,
feature sets and next-day at-home support to match.

Yet Dell continues to score significantly lower in customer satisfaction ratings.... hmmm.

Even more,
a choice - want big-heavy screaming quad-core - OK. Want light
all day battery - OK. Want eSATA, Blu-ray, builtin 3G - OK.

"...and you even get REVERSI!"

But, if you want to keep your heads in the sand and believe that
Dell only sells at Best Buy, your choice.

The only one around here with his head up his 'sand' seems to be you.

Some people prefer the refinements that Apple has to offer. Apparently, this seems to bother you.

Its not ignorance. Dells are ****. I've owned enough to know. You can have all the bleeding-edge hardware you want, and it will look great on paper, but **** is ****, no matter how it's polished or spun up. I'm guessing you own a Latitude, otherwise you wouldn't be getting butt-hurt over a comment. So, to that, all I can say is...

Sorry. :(

I couldn't agree with you more.

He's been shilling MS and Dell for years on this site, sad.

You have nothing to be sorry about, unless of course, you have actually purchased one of them.

bozeefus

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2008
@DMann

thanks for the info. i plan on trying out a Dell Latitude at my school and I will definitely keep the things u said in mind.

Now do Thinkpads! :)

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
LOL yes whats the news you definitely can save some lives! So is this the longest apple has gone without a refresh in its history? I hope they got something good planned. For some reason I think they are cooking up something that will be worth this terrible wait! Though I have never owned a Mac as of to date, I am waiting to see what hand they play, they have impressive machines!

Would optional glossy screen on the 13" MB Pros and a selection of i3/5/7 processors make you happy?

I was gonna suggest touch screen, but I realised that OS X does not support it.

Is it possible that the release of the iPad and the new MacBook Pros will coincide? Apple would be mad to miss this level of media hype and coverage.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Ironically, no one, nor group of Mac/PC users would even be capable of approaching your vast depths and displays of ignorance, and extreme bias.

After having worked with both the Dell Latitude E6400 and E6500, my experience denotes the following:

Small touchpad
Poor placement of audio ports
Poor placement of speakers
Poor keyboard (keys cramped together, awkward layout, flimsy)
Horrible trackpoint (interferes with typing and offers poor control)
Faulty lid latch (When the laptop is closed, the left section of the lid does not press firmly against the palmrest, and it is therefore prone to rattling)
Lid flexes excessively - feels flimsy overall - large gap between bezel and screen
Poor placement of screen protective padding
Noisy HDD (in a silent room)
Build quality sucks by comparison to Asus, Lenovo, and Mac.

A Macbook Pro of comparable specs offers:

A large Multi-touch pad - well designed and responsive
Better placement of audio ports and speakers
A responsive, back-lit keyboard, extremely well designed, and better key layout.
Unibody design - slimmer, lighter, sleeker, much sturdier
Magnetic latch is far superior
Relatively quieter HDD (in a silent room)
OS X - a deal maker for many

Yet Dell continues to score significantly lower in customer satisfaction ratings.... hmmm.

"...and you even get REVERSI!"

The only one around here with his head up his 'sand' seems to be you.

Some people prefer the refinements that Apple has to offer. Apparently, this seems to bother you.

I couldn't agree with you more.

He's been shilling MS and Dell for years on this site, sad.

You have nothing to be sorry about, unless of course, you have actually purchased one of them.

You cant get reversi anymore... Oh well, Ill just download KDE games. ;)

stinkhorn

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2010
UK
uMBPs

Hi - an ultra-newbie here - I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new Macbook Pros, but I'm not interested in any graphics-related improvements - I don't game or edit video - I just need it for audio programmes. So, I was kind of hoping that the new MBPs would reduce the price of the existing ones, allowing me to get one of those slightly cheaper. BUT one of the earlier posts here mentioned a reseller offering a very limited period of discount (I think til 28th Feb) - after which/once the new ones are out, will the older/current ones even be available to buy from Apple, does anyone know?

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Hi - an ultra-newbie here - I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new Macbook Pros, but I'm not interested in any graphics-related improvements - I don't game or edit video - I just need it for audio programmes. So, I was kind of hoping that the new MBPs would reduce the price of the existing ones, allowing me to get one of those slightly cheaper. BUT one of the earlier posts here mentioned a reseller offering a very limited period of discount (I think til 28th Feb) - after which/once the new ones are out, will the older/current ones even be available to buy from Apple, does anyone know?

If the budget's tight, go used. Even models from 2-3 years ago have plenty of oomph for audio applications. Kinda like the one I'll be selling when the new ones come out... :)

devils punchbow

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
Is it possible that the release of the iPad and the new MacBook Pros will coincide? Apple would be mad to miss this level of media hype and coverage.

This is always how I assumed the release would go down. Though the ipad has already been announced. So I'm thinking they will update the web site at the same time once ipads are available then release new MBP. Seems to make perfect sense to me.

The MBP will not be a major update in Apple's mind. They will just be forming to the current technology. The only ones who will notice the change are those that are really paying attention to the trends. Other then you, and me I have not read anyone else suggest a ipad/MBP release together. It seems like a natural step if they are ready to update MBP.

I'm also confident if the MBP does not update with the ipad release on web site. The MBP will likely not update till the summer time. That is my guess though I'm not big on participating in this sites ongoing nonsense predicting every Tues thing. Too much drama exists on this site in regards to actual update release. Personally I want a updated MBP, but can wait till whenever Apple wants to release it. Then wait longer to allow user reviews to pour in.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Attachments

• Apple Order Status-1.png
    Apple Order Status-1.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 112

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Are you an end user or a reseller? I was looking at the MBPs on the website and the delivery dates are the same, i.e. next day shipping for stock and 1-3 business days for CTO...

No, I ordered it for myself through my place of employment we have a contract with Apple plus I get a slight discount doing it that way..

DctrJ

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
If I were running Apple (they would probably be out of business:p) I would release the MBP's before the iPad to get them out of the way so Apple could really focus energy on the new iPad. Which of course, if I were running Apple, wouldn't even exist in its current form:confused:.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Congratulations on your lack of bias and extreme objectivity -
considering that the 14" Dell E6400 is lighter than the 13"
MacBook Pro, and the 15" Dell E6500 is lighter than the 15"
MacBook Pro.

The 13" Dell E4300 is less than 75% of the weight of the 13" MBP,
and is only 4mm thicker (including the 3mm rubber feet on the bottom).

But, go ahead and complain about the *heavy* Dell laptops. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my comment was about the ridiculous claim that no Dell
laptop is worth more than $600 - not a comparison of subjective
features. As usual, though, your reply didn't respond to my
points - even though you acknowledged Lenovo's build quality.

webtoker

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
MacBook Pro.

The 13" Dell E4300 is less than 75% of the weight of the 13" MBP,
and is only 4mm thicker (including the 3mm rubber feet on the bottom).

But, go ahead and complain about the *heavy* Dell laptops. :rolleyes:

The model prior to the E6400, the D630 and D620 were much better. Those are solid laptops. We have a bunch in the field and they can take a beating. The E6400s, not so much.

Cal

anthonybsd

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
MacBook Pro.
This made me curious. I used to use Latitudes from work in 2006 or so and those seemed to be considerably heavier. But technology progresses right? So I looked up the weight on Dell's website, and viola - i does advertise a weight of 4.3lb which is indeed lighter than 4.5lb for 13 inch Macbook Pro. The interesting line here from Dell is:

"Starting at: 4.3 lbs/1.95 kg1"
I did some digging and it appears that Dell's "Starting weight" doesn't mean "Starting configuration weight". What it actually means is "Minimum Weight".
They achieve that by configuring it with 4-cell battery, SSD Drive, No optical drive and "Weight-saver" module in place of the optical drive. If you configure Latitude with HDD, optical drive and 6-cell battery, it tips the scales at 5.1lb, well above 13'' Macbook Pro.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
If you configure Latitude with HDD, optical drive and 6-cell battery, it tips the scales at 5.1lb, well above 13'' Macbook Pro.

In other words, when loaded with the heavier options, the
14" Dell is halfway between the 13" MBP and 15" MBP in weight. :)

Add the 9 cell battery and the "battery slice" for 19 hours of
battery life, and it will be much heavier of course.

Nothing wrong with letting the users choose to make the system
heavier if they'd like more battery life.

Chris3125

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2005
I popped into the new apple store in eldon square newcastle for a dock for my iphone and thought id ask if anyone had heard and rumours but the girl i spoke to said she had not heard a thing, then some bloke butted in who seemed to know everything and said there was defiantly not going to be updates, i just said ok and thanks for your help, really didn't want to get into an argument with the guy.

a question I do have which I have tried searching for is what are the new mbp's likely to cost? i've got enough for the current entry level 13" with student discount at the moment but was wondering if I am going to need some more cash for these new ones? obviously no one knows but just looking for a bit advice.

:)

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002

Backpedall away Shaw. :p

Comparatively configured with the MacBook Pros, both models turn out to be heavier, and remain angular and bulkier nonetheless.

Anyway what?

For those who wish to pay ~$600 for a flimsy, POS, the Dells are there for the taking.

Your biased comments did nothing to refute the fact that Dell's laptops often equate to a frustrating and lousy investment.

Conversely, Lenovo's Thinkpad's build, design, and keyboard happen to be superior to Dell's, as are Asus' and Apple's.

Much to your dismay, all of your cheerleading for Dell won't change this.

Hopefully this will serve as an incentive for you to work on yours. :)

anthonybsd

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008

Of course there's nothing wrong with that. But my point was that with "lighter configured" Dell you are getting configuration that is similar to Macbook Air and that's what you should be comparing it to. My wife's Air with SSD weighs 2.9Lbs, much lighter than 4.3lbs.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Comparatively configured with the MacBook Pros, both models turn out to be heavier, and remain angular and bulkier nonetheless.

Since Apple doesn't make a 14" laptop, the claim "both models
turn out to be heavier" is nonsense.

And, congratulations for building a configuration of the E6500
that's heavier than the 15" MBP by about the weight of two AA
batteries. <sarcasm>That certainly justifies the "Heavy" in your
post.</sarcasm>

But, you're still making subjective claims (like "angular")
instead of responding to the original claim that no Dell is
worth $600. Why exactly is the E6500 worth less than $600, or
less than its $1249 starting price? (And not why is the $2048 15"
MBP a better value than the $1433 E6500? <configs matched for disk,
discrete graphics, RAM and warranty>)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.